Having trouble chosing the right Macbook Pro for me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TJunior, Oct 24, 2013.

1. TJunior macrumors newbie

I'm having a lot trouble making a choice for a new computer after the update this tuesday. Ofcourse I want a top specced Macbook Pro, but I'm not sure if it's a smart move, especially after the baseline 15' got nerfed. Therefor I'm now also thinking about the 13' (8GB, 256 SSD, i5).

1. The computer is mainly going to be used for studying, but some music production as well. 2. Money is not a problem, though I should ofcourse save as much as possible.

So, here is what I see as my alternatives.
    1. 15' (16GB, 512 SSD, i7) - Futreproofing?
    2. 15' (8GB, 256 SSD, i7) - Is this one going to perform a lot better than a 13' (alternative 3) ? Or will the RAM hold back the potential of the quad core 15'?
    3. 13' (8GB, 256 SSD, i5), save up the rest and sell my old computer & perhaps get an top specced iMac later?

Here in Norway, the 15' costs 1560 USD more than the 13' (3). Will the 70 % price increase really be worth it? The baseline Macbook Pro 15' (2), costs 715 USD more than 13', a price increase of 30 %.

Any thoughts?

2. reery macrumors regular

reery

If you don't do CPU consuming work, you could be better off with a 13". A quad would make sense if you render a lot (3D software or video editing).

If you are a gamer, then it's obvios that you should take the 15" with a 750M.

I went with a 15" and don't regret it at all. Even if I'm a fan of "as small as it could be", 15" is the perfect size for a laptop. I wouldn't go any smaller.

But that's just my opinion. If you prefer a smaller screen then go for the 13".

You can also wait for some in-depth reviews and weigh if the quad is better suited for your purpose.

3. redkamel macrumors 6502

How important/much do you do music production? Are you goofing around in your home studio with your own stuff making CDs for friends, or do you do music production for then local band you've been in for 20 years?

At any rate, as some one who has never done music production in their life, I would recommend:

1. Wait for benchmarks
    2. If benchmarks are good and you do "some" work, get a 13 inch with extra ram
    3. If you take your hobby "seriously", get the 15 inch, possibly with iris pro.

I take my hobbies seriously (like a second job)