iPad Having trouble deciding between an iPad Air and iPad Air 2.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wineandcarbs, Dec 22, 2014.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I currently have an iPad Mini (first generation). I'm interested in upgrading to an iPad Air, but an not sure whether I want to upgrade to the Air or Air 2. It seems either one would be a pretty decent upgrade, particularly processor wise (A5 to A7 or A8) and screen-wise (non-retina to retina).

I would only be getting the 16GB (I know, I know...but I don't tend to store any media on my iPad, except for maybe the occasional photo taken with it. The majority of my media is on my iPhone and computer) so the lack of 128GB option on the first-gen Air is a non-issue; that being said, it is nice that the Air has the 32GB option. I use the iPad for the usual simple task: web-browsing, email, reading ebooks, and playing the occasional game or app. Mainly consumption of media/material vs creation of things on the device.

What are your thoughts? I realize the original Air doesn't have the fingerprint sensor, which would be nice to have, but isn't a deal breaker. Are there other compelling reasons I should go for the Air 2 vs the Air? TIA!

2. ozaz macrumors 65816

Air 2 has 2gb RAM vs 1 gb in the Air.

This is the primary reason I'd get the Air 2.

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

there is no reason to get the old tablet. air2 is more futureproof with 2gig ram as ozaz said... believe or not but there will be apps "only compatible with air2"... i had air, sold it and never looked back...

4. Violafab macrumors member

Violafab

We just bought two Ipad air 1's on sale - 16 gigs wifi. I'm sure that the air 2 is fab, but the almost half price was the decision maker for us.

If we can get a couple of good years with the airs, we'll be satisfied.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If you have a local Apple Store then go in and have a play with the demo models.

Lots of discussion on Ram and lots of discussion on the iPad Air 2's screen and speaker vibration issues.

Go with your own findings and disposable income.

And most of all...... Enjoy. :)

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

You'll get at least that many years and likely more. The Air has solid hardware and if you look at the ipad 2 which is still going strong for many people, that should indicate that you'll be fine for a while.

7. Violafab macrumors member

Violafab

8. ccrunner_tj macrumors member

ccrunner_tj

I went from an iPad 3 to an iPad Air and when I pick up the Air I still marvel at how thin and light it is. I concur that buying the newest device to maintain resale value is a good idea, but if you are trying to save and can find a good deal on the Air, it is really a great tablet. You won't be disappointed.

9. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

ALWAYS buy the newest one. It's (at least) one more year of solid use before obsolescence. You'll be happy you spent an extra $100 and have that 2gb of ram when we're on ios10.

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

1GB RAM for the iPad Air, that's all you need to know

11. RebornProphet Suspended

Firstly, the way many on this forum holds 2GB of RAM up as some kind of holy grail is embarrassing. It's not THE reason to buy the Air 2. Sure, it'll allow the iPad to hold more open apps in memory or stop Safari tabs refreshing, but again it's not the be all and end all. The A8X chip is what makes the iPad Air 2 'must have' with that 8 core GPU.

I own an Air 1 and I would say that if you're in the market for a tablet, always buy the latest model. The Air 2 won't streak ahead in terms of performance right away, but it's got legs to spare and will be the first longevity model since the iPad 2 (look how long that thing stuck round, although it only had 512mb of RAM. :rolleyes: How ironic.)

Right now in terms of third party apps, the Air 1 and Air 2 run everything on the App Store identically bar quicker loading times on the Air 2. However, 12 months down the line this will change, perhaps even sooner.

Remember that the A7 line up has a one year head start in terms of install base and that the entire A7 line up is still sold by Apple. Also consider than the latest flagship iPhone models 'only' pack 1GB of RAM in their A8 chips versus the 2GB in the A8X in the iPad Air 2. The A8 in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus benchmarks only slightly higher than the iPhone 5s A7 chip.

The newest iPhone's aren't going to become woefully slow next year and neither will the iPad Air 1, but you will begin to see apps take advantage of the A8X as the install base grows and Developers begin to target that device and it's chipset.

Again, it's your money, and while you might save a little up front now, you could find yourself looking to upgrade again sooner rather than taking the hit now and getting the latest model.

So in summary, the iPad Air is a beast of a tablet but the Air 2 is a behemoth that will keep on performing for some time to come, which is vital if you plan on long term ownership.

12. Internaut macrumors 6502a

There's a modest weight reduction, and the Air 2 has, I think, a little more longevity going for it. Oh, and fingerprint unlock is cool (according to retired dad, who has embraced it and thinks it's the best thing ever).

13. RebornProphet Suspended

Yeah, I forgot to mention Touch ID above in my post. :eek:

I've become used to it on my 5s, it's become second nature when using my iPhone but I oddly don't find myself trying to do the same on my Air 1 when using that.

I do a lot of online shopping so an Air 2 with Apple Pay/Touch ID might not be the best idea for me! :D

14. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

+1

15. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Huh? Just typing on a 128GB Air 1 ...

16. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Going with the Air 2 is a no-brainer. I have both at home and the 2 is so much faster, the screen is much better and the thin form factor rocks.

17. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

In fact I urge everyone on iPad Air 1 to sell their tablet quickly and go for Air 2 which is future proof beyond any doubt.

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just watch for many sales on iPad Air 2. Target had $140 gift cards Black Friday and best buy discounted $100 off Air 2.

I had "spare" unopened wifi iPad air 2 64GB with $140 target gift card that I got for $594 (total price with Florida 6% sales taxes).

I already have cellular 64gb air 2 with best buy $100 off and didn't want wifi air 2.

So my work collegue had just purchased $450 plus taxes iPad Air 1 32gb model from best buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-air-with-wi-fi-32gb-space-gray-black/1780325.p?id=1219063711934&

I told my collegue. He can have the iPad air 2 64gb wifi for $461! I kept the $140 target gift card and added $7 to account for losing my 5% Target card discount.

So gave my collegue a great deal on unopened wifi iPad Air 2 64GB model.

Get the Air 2. Just be on lookout for discounts.

19. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

According to the Apple Store website it's no longer being sold in 128GB, just 16 and 32.

----------

Thank you, everyone, for your input! I appreciate it!

----------

Regarding future-proofing; I realize going with a newer device = greater future proofing. But how long do you folks anticipate an iPad Air 1 lasting if purchased now? Do you anticipate it being that much less "future-proofed" when more basic apps are used? (I realize even those at some point will be optimized for the most current technology.)

20. Parv3y09 macrumors newbie

lol 2 gb that's why I don't use apple my phone has more ram lol my space is 64gb on top of the expansion card ill sell u it for 150$ i paid 100 bucks with 2 year contract carrier sucked so i switched got a new phone

oh know wonder why Ronald wayne uses a pc....and has a windows phone who wants to look at a 4 inch phone sis these Chinese measure with thier penis or what

21. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I wiped my iPad 2, so now it only has factory apps. It's still barely functional with ios8. Everything lags. Even basic typing takes time to register on screen.

Once it goes to hell, it goes all the way. It'll be a frustrating experience.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

Great. Drive a Kia than. It's usually 1/3 the price as other luxury cars like bmw or Lexus and at the end of the day they are both cars.

It's how the ram is used. Just remember my LG G3 which has 3GB of ram feels slower than my 1GB ram iPhone 6 plus. I own a lot of phones.

And if you want to talk about space. Doesn't the Galaxy S4/5 have about 8-9gb of Usable storage space left? Can't install much more with that little storage space. Pointless to talk about microsd slots and Galaxy S5 cost same as iPhone 6. ($650 msrp)

23. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. Most appreciated. :) lol @ "once it goes to hell, it goes all the way." So true.

24. RebornProphet Suspended

Another word of advice if you pick up an Air 1.

If it's on iOS 7.1.2 keep it there.

25. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I failed English exam after reading that essay.