Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
This is the most bizzare problem. My Macbook slows to a crawl when WiFi is enabled. I'm not talking about internet speed, that is fine. But simply launching or using apps becomes extremely slow. Apps will bounce on the dock for 10 minutes before they load.

As soon as I turn off Wifi, everything goes back to normal.

OSX 10.15.7, 16 inch MBP.

EDIT: here is cause and workaround:

Last edited:

davegg

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I'm having the same problem! Looking the activity monitor it seems to have something to do with creative cloud. But my attempts to disable it have been unsuccessful so far.

Also, referencing another thread, I have not updated to 10.15.7

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
OMG i thought i was the only one!!!?? What in the world is going on? How do we fix this? i thought some application on my computer was causing it and tried all sorts of things, i noticed that "Softwareupdated" is using a large amount of cpu power in the background in activity monitor

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
at least its not me. im updating to big sur right now in a desperate hope that it fixes things.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Is it possible Apples severs are so overloaded from everyone upgrading and downloading Big Sur that some Apple background process is overloading the CPU of our Macs? I’m personally staying on Catalina and have no intention of updating but how in the world would this be causing such an issue on our Macs?! I’m clueless as to what is actually going on right now, the MacBook is nearly unusable if I’m connected to Wifi it’s slowed down to a crawl

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
im wondering if this is related to the release of big sur. some bug in connectivity that apple needs with their servers?

in the past ive noticed that if you wake up without working internet (but working wifi), it does the same thing.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Is it possible Apples severs are so overloaded from everyone upgrading and downloading Big Sur? I’m personally stating on Catalina but how in the world would this be causing such an issue on our Macs?!
yeah but this is really disturbing that apple having connectivity issues would disrupt normal system usage that is not apple related.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
yeah but this is really disturbing that apple having connectivity issues would disrupt normal system usage that is not apple related.
I agree, this is EXTREMELY disturbing that Apple has some sort of a connection to our personal Macs that can affect our entire Mac with their servers which means they have some hidden background processes communicating with their servers at all times.. How long do you guys think this is going to last?

Last edited:

KoolSafak

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
This is a complete sh*t show from Apple.

I can’t use my computer because Apple had decided that it had to monitor every app I start.

And I need to join Zoom metings

Reactions: Synchro3

Insleep

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
United States
This is happening on all of my Macs as well. Guessing it has to do with Gatekeeper, since macOS phones home every time you open a third-party app to make sure it's not malware. How has Apple screwed up this bad...

josehill

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Yes, it's happening on our Macs, too. All are running Mojave. Apple apps open fairly normally, while third party apps are taking much longer than usual to launch, often timing out.

That seems to be consistent with suggestions that the problem is with trustd, Gatekeeper and other Apple "security" systems. Lots of trustd messages in the Console.app. Also noticing very high MRT activity.

My business' Macs are basically unusable right now. At least our Windows systems are working.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
For me it affected much more than just app launches. Computer usage in general was very sluggish!

I tried disabling Gatekeeper from the command line, but that didn't help. Editing /etc/hosts as suggested in a prior post fixed it for me.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
thank you for this! I just spent over an hour trying to get my Adobe apps to launch to no avail. Disconnected my ethernet and all went back to normal. So strange.

Reactions: arn

MirComputers

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2020
Milano, Italy
Hello, i have had multiple reports of this issue in the last 2 hours by clients running original macs. My hacks, wich have these services disabled by default, are safe.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
I want to get something straight, Why does the entire system get slowed down to a crawl with wifi enabled? Does it mean that Apple literally has full access to our Macs and can view and control every single thing we do on our Macs at all times? i'm seriously trying to wrap my head around this situation as i think this exposed some serious privacy issue.. I never experienced such a thing happen on a Mac. I'm not updating to Big Sur nor do i plan on updating to Big Sur anytime soon, I am using Catalina on my 2017 MacbookPro 13 inch Model.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Oh man, I'm so glad this wsn't just affecting me. I booted up my MBP this evening and booting up Firefox was taking ages. Just clicking on the icon in the dock, it wouldn't even start bouncing for about 10 second, and then bounced for ages. I rebooted twice but still had the same problem. I then contacted live chat support and the support guy was telling me to install Big Sur, which I wasn't keen on doing. I politely declined and did one more reboot. All seems okay now, so perhaps Apple sorted it. I just don't understand though, why apps need some sort of online connection before opening. Even Microsoft Excel didn't work for me.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I want to get something straight, Why does the entire system get slowed down to a crawl with wifi enabled? Does it mean that Apple literally has full access to our Macs and can view and control every single thing we do on our Macs at all times? i'm seriously trying to wrap my head around this situation as i think this exposed some serious privacy issue.. I never experienced such a thing happen on a Mac. I'm not updating to Big Sur nor do i plan on updating to Big Sur anytime soon, I am using Catalina on my 2017 MacbookPro 13 inch Model.

When apps launch they call Apple to see if they are safe / properly signed. So it’s hanging on that. Disabling WiFi means it doesn’t try.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
When apps launch they call Apple to see if they are safe / properly signed. So it’s hanging on that. Disabling WiFi means it doesn’t try.
does it do it still do it with gatekeeper disabled? what is that hosts file addressed that was mentioned in this thread earlier today? is it better to block that address or disabled gatekeeper via terminal altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.