Haze Review

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, May 20, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I knew it all along that this was going to be a turkey (check my post history where i've always said it looked like generic crap to me) so I can safely say I told you so :D

IGN first review

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/875/875229p1.html

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ouch, I wonder what the point was behind this game? As the reviewer says these guys know how to make good FPS's*, so why make a terrible one? It's not 7, 8. 4.5 is dire.

*then again Ubisoft gave us Red Steel and they know how to make a good game too...

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Don't worry. I'm sure this thread will soon be filled up with the 'well we never said it was going to be a AAA big title anyways' or the 'no one really cared about it anyways' and the 'we never said it would be better than HALO anyways' crowds ;)

The truth is that this WAS a big named, super hyped PS3 EXCLUSIVE. Not only hyped by the publisher, but Sony too. You only have to log on to PSN/internet to see that.

The fact that it has turned out to be nothing more than generic dire-tribe doesn't surprise me, but it does mean 'yet another' exclusive is added to the failed ranks alongside Lair et all; which is disappointing for all us PS3 owners.

With Killzone 2 now relegated to Feb 2009, it means the only other 'decent' looking FPS we have to look forward to on the platform at the moment is Resistance 2 and thats over 6 months away assuming it's not delayed.

Hey ho! Life goes on.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

4.5?
    Wow....I want to play it now, to check if its really that bad, or its a reaction to the hype it got.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I hope resistance 2 isn't such a big disappointment, either. I expected more of this game. Although this could be a reaction to all that hype, I have a feeling that IGN is right.

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Damn how did I miss that one :D:D:p:p

Well the demo was certainly a 4.5 so it doesn't surprise me. I was 'slightly' hopeful that the demo was of a poorer older version, but it looks like that was indeed false hope.

:eek:

Oh well back to GTA I guess :)

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

The videos made it looks pretty nice. The demo, not so much. After playing the demo I knew I wouldn't be buying this. What a great game to get as an exclusive... lol

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

True indeed on all accounts.

What is so so so annoying is when you get the preview screenshots and they are nothing more that super touched up, high res captures. Basically they are photoshop'd up to the hilt. It's all so utterly bogus.

Then you get the in depth previews and 'hands on' from magazines and reviewers. I mean come on guys, could they not really sense this was a turkey from those play throughs ?

The answer of course is that 'they knew all along' but simply put aside all that in order to feed the hyperbole machine that was putting big budget marketing money in their pockets.

Of course most of the magazine reviews wont actually hit the shelves until 'after' the game hits retail, which of course by that time - those that have been fed on the the sweet fruits of 'previews and hands on' BS will have already bought their pre-ordered copy of the supposed 'next big thing'...

It's just all so $$ BS

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, that isn't the case. I remember an in-depth preview from GameTrailers showcasing Haze. They said right from the start that this isn't gonna bring down Halo or Half Life.

Also, it would be unfair to condemn the game before its release.

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My post history should back up my claims of indifference towards this title. That aside, Haze being a mediocre FPS is not good news after all the hype about this game. I'm not sure how much of the hype was really driven by Sony themselves, though. Seems to me that I hear PS3 fanboys and the media talking about this being a top tier exclusive far more often than I hear Sony trumpeting it's virtues.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm not too happy about this because in the end I lose a game that had potential...oh well on to the other. I still don't see how Sony hyped this game though....it build its hype on the web(by PS fannys) and thats where the hype stayed.

So far the review(s) show its either a hate/love game with IGN and games radar thinking its average/poor and that Japanese magazine, PSM and one other Italian Mag loving it.

I myself was in the middle.....trying to give it a chance even the demo wasn't all that bad but I'm thinking its just an average title that I won't waste my time on.

Wii fit it is then...

Bless

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Capitan Negativity errr.... MRU strikes again.

I'm pretty surprised at the score actually. I would have given the demo somewhere in the 7 range but ah well. The Timesplitters games were always quite good. Haze seemed troubled from the start, much like Warhawk was, but looks like unlike the awesome Warhawk it crashed :p

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

:rolleyes:

cheeky bugger
    :p:D

15. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I downloaded the demo. I wasn't planning to buy it, and after playing the demo I won't bother. Another shooter... oh lord.

The PS3 already has five excellent shooter games in COD4, UT, Warhawk, RBSV2, and Resistance. GTA4 multiplayer counts as well (although it is far better than the others due to the sheer variety of game modes on offer). More would be overkill, unless they brought something new and interesting, which Haze doesn't.

Shooters are to our decade what scrolling space ship games were to the early 80s. Enough already.

16. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I'm actually kinda disappointed. Famitsu and PSM Italy gave it positive reviews, but IGN gave it the opposite. I'm thinking it can't be as bad as they say, personally, but I'm going to wait to see what some of the others say before passing it up or purchasing. I'm happy that I didn't commit to the reserve, either.

On the upside, I haven't had a chance to finish GTA4 yet anyways, so at least I still have something to play until MGS hits the shelves.

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's HAZE's biggest challenge isn't it. Most of us will end up getting MGS4 on the PS3 as the Exclusive that really matters, and we have GTA4 to last us a couple more weeks before it hits anyways.

Another review hits the airwaves on GamersHell.com

http://www.gamershell.com/ps3/haze/review.html

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I love you man but dude... you're soooo negative nowadays! Everything is doom and gloom!

Money says Haze gets a metacritic of around 65-75 in the "meh, worth a shot but not worth a purchase" range.

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Now who's being dramatic :p

Yeah I agree the 'rent not buy' kind of game. I actually do have it on my game rental list though still, so I'll probably leave it there regardless.

I have become increasingly fussy and critical over games asking me to part with €60+ and worse still my time.

It's not that everything is black and white with me, in fact my life is indeed a myriad shades in between and so is my mood.

Lately there have been very few gaming 'highlights' for me to really get excited and enthusiastic about though.

That's not the PS3's fault, just a general thing on ALL the formats. I'm just looking for that next 'hit' that rejuvenates and rekindles my passion.

At the moment all my energies are focussed on outside/other activities as I just haven't found anything keeping me glued to my pad.

Sorry if my judgment has seemed overly critical lately, I guess I just expect more than what we are being delivered right now game wise.

20. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It is understandable. The PS3 keeps getting these overhyped generic games. Its like how the Wii seems to be getting nothing but party games and the xbox gets nothing but red lights.

21. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Man, I have to say after the demo I'm not surprised, but I really hoped that the demo was just really outdated...

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

didn't mean to bag on you MRU, just seeing a lot of negativity about everything when onNeogaf and 1up boards and just... I dunno it seems that everyone expects everything to be 10/10 nowadays.

But it seems like a generation thing. Like PS1 to PS2 was crazy, the games had voice acting (well so did MGS1) amazing graphics (FFX blew my mind) they were longer, more epic etc. Games like Halo or KOTOR or Ico or whatever were new ground

This generation isn't as amazing. Most games are just gussied up versions of the PS2 era games. and honestly? I'm playing Persona 3 FES and other older PS2 games more than I'm playing any 'this-gen' games since they are better than most of the dribble released now. The leap just isn't as significant.

(ok I will admit... Uncharted looks damn purdy on my new 1080p... :D)

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Of course it does :). Can't wait for #2!

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well more scores from the sites

game informer

Games Radar (the most glowing of reviews yet)

GamesTap

And the only other 'glowing' review so far

Game Daily

Even with the two 7/10 propping up the score..
    So far meta critic are giving it a 54

25. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Gamespot review just in too..