HBO Added to 'Apple TV Channels' in Latest iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 Betas

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently unveiled its revamped TV app with a new "Channels" feature that enables users to subscribe to TV networks on an à-la-carte basis and watch them all in the TV app without having to open another app.

[​IMG]
    Image: The Streamable

When the new TV app became available to test in the iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 betas in late March, subscription options were limited to Showtime, Starz, Smithsonian, and Tastemade. As noted by The Streamable, however, additional channels have been added as of the fourth betas of iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 this week.

The most notable addition is HBO for $14.99 per month, in time for the final three episodes of Game of Thrones, while other recently added channels include Cinemax, EPIX, Sundance Now, Lifetime Movie Club, and UMC.

[​IMG]

When the new TV app is publicly released on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV later this month, other networks that will be supported in Apple TV Channels include CBS All Access, Nickelodeon, Mubi, The History Channel Vault, Comedy Central Now, Acorn TV, Britbox, Noggin, MTV Hits, and Shudder.

We recently went hands-on with the revamped TV app:

The TV app will also be available on the Mac starting this fall alongside Apple's TV+ original content streaming service.

Article Link: HBO Added to 'Apple TV Channels' in Latest iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 Betas

2. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

I guess I still don't really understand the need for the "TV" app on the Apple TV. It seems redundant. Why wouldn't I just got to the HBO Now app?

I understand it aggregates content across apps/channels, but that seems like a mess to me. I guess it just isn't the way I watch TV/video content... maybe it's just me; I guess I am getting a little old.

3. mattynat macrumors member

quick, someone test to see how good Game of Thrones looks vs. HBO Go/Now vs. Amazon Prime streaming! I've had terrible luck streaming HBO (Game of Thrones) via DirecTV Now so I'd be curious to see how this looks and if episodes will be available 9pm EST.

4. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

if you have directv now you can sign into hbo go and use that

5. cardfan macrumors 68000

Why on earth would I use the tv app? It stinks. The HBO app is much better.

6. waw74 macrumors 68040

You don't watch them in the TV App,
    once you select the item in the TV App, it launches the app for the service that media is on.

iPhone Xs , running 12.3 (16F5129d)
    I have not updated to the absolute latest beta, so that might have changed,
    doing that upgrade now.

------
    This app is helpful, for people with multiple services.
    I can go to the TV app, and see when new episodes are available.
    otherwise i would have to launch Amazon, HBO, and Showtime to get the same info.

for big name things, when the episodes are expected, like Game of Thrones, i normally just go to the HBO app, but i'm training myself to go to the TV app.
    New episodes of shows i've watched are right a the top of the screen in the TV app, and it's much fewer clicks than going into the HBO app.

7. sub150 macrumors member

So I was wondering what differentiates this from an HBO Now sub.

Based on previous articles written about Apple TV app (ffs apple...) https://thestreamable.com/news/appl...nnels-killer-with-discounted-hbo-and-showtime

"The app will allow you subscribe to each service individually, but you can stream them from a single app. All subscriptions are on-demand and ad-free. One unique feature is that all the content is available both online or offline, meaning you can take it with you while you're traveling. The premium subscriptions support family sharing meaning you can share your subscriptions with up to five people in your household."

This is huge. However, I'm wondering if I can sign into HBO Now on a Windows browser and watch like I can with HBO Now.

8. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

I’m really looking forward to an enhanced tv app.

9. rkelez01 macrumors newbie

Was testing this a bit last night. Tv app had much better looking picture. Bitrate peaks about 2mb higher and is much more stable throughout.

Initial impression is quite good.

10. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

That's exactly what this article is announcing. you are refuting the article while at the same time saying you haven't updated to the version the article references...

11. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Are you able to login to the HBO Apple TV app using your cable tv credentials?

12. Drogba11 macrumors member

HBO are a joke. I have DirectTV Now and they jacked the price from $4.99/month up to $14.99/month right before GOT started on all platforms. They are going to lose so many subscribers once the season is over.

13. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

HBO tend to do their linking a bit differently in as much as they mandate having an HBO account that you then tie to your service provider account, whether that be cable, Sony Vue, Hulu etc. Normally that means you can log into HBO independently to the site. Most (all?) other channels/networks seem to have you use providers SSO directly in-app or on their site with an account sometimes being optional.

I've found over a few years of cord-cutting that that integration can be spotty for Vue and Hulu - it's not always available even if you have the channel. Cable providers seem to manage more or less 100% coverage though. If Apple can get all the channels to allow external login it could be a pretty good selling point for some.

14. hermes16 macrumors member

I'm having a hard time understanding what will be the big difference between Amazon, Netflix and Apple+ tv besides watching movies of books Tim Cook likes. Is Apple a little late to the streaming game?

15. PannenkoekenNL macrumors newbie

PannenkoekenNL

Hopefully they will add Investigation Discovery too.

16. agffth macrumors member

It's AT&T that's a joke. They own both.

17. mattynat macrumors member

thats what I do but if the quality is better via the TV app, I would use that!
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2019 ---
    nice! thanks! hopefully it airs and is available right at 9pm EST on Sunday night. I'll wait an episode to check if thats the case.

18. MysteryMii215 macrumors regular

MysteryMii215

Should be better via the TV app. HBO via Prime Channels already has better quality than HBO Go/Now, so I expect the same to happen with Apple TV Channels.

19. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

20. boccabella macrumors regular

Is this effectively for new subscribers only, or is there a way to link your existing login info with the TV app?

21. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Not sure if this is a bug, but I cannot get Game Of Thrones to play FROM the TV app. Other shows play fine directly in the app, but GoT still makes me launch HBO Now.

Anyone else?

22. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why would I pay Apple to subscribe to HBO when I can just subscribe to HBO directly via HBO Now and let them have all the money instead of Apple taking a cut?

I like Apple products and all but would rather the company producing the content I watch to get all my money.

23. NOTashwin macrumors newbie

Higher bitrate

24. waw74 macrumors 68040

The article is about HBO now being available in the app, just read the headline.

when i watch a showtime show which was included in the older versions, it launches the showtime app.

I've now upgraded to beta 4 on my phone
    It still launches the external app when i select something to watch.

HBO, Showtime, and Amazon,
    tried shows from all 3.

25. Marco Klobas macrumors regular

Marco Klobas

It'd be nice to have PBS Masterpiece channel too (like on Amazon Prime Video).

Speaking of PBS: a regular PBS Passport subscription is still a better value for the money, though.