iOS 12.3 Beta 4 ― Bug Fixes, Changes, and Improvements

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Banglazed, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

I believe when you click the WiFi to turn it off, the text reads "Nearby Wifi until tomorrow." There's geofencing based wifi connection, so if you're connecting to new wifi networks, it's likely outside proximity to the original wifi network you were trying to disconnect from. I thought this was normal behavior, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. When I leave my office, it holds onto a weak connection, so I often toggle this; when I get home, it automatically connects to my home wifi, as expected.

2. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

But you've highlighted why people should not "gang report" issues unless they are affected by them. Your situation in a dense wi-fi environment may be what's causing the issue. If people report this without actually being affected by it, Apple may not be able to diagnose this properly.

3. StumpyBloke macrumors 65816

StumpyBloke

Absolutely this. Even Apple say don’t report unless you have the particular issue.

4. TitsLegendary macrumors 6502

Anyone having issue updating using iTunes on latest Developer Beta that was released today? I updated my XS Max using previous beta then updated my Mac then tried to update my iPad and it keeps having an issue. Not sure if it's the iPad or if it's because I updated my Mac.

5. ram130 macrumors 6502

ram130

Finally, just barely, was able to reproduce the WiFi bug while recording.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gayPAo3SnsjS7CBe8

Notes

Took about 10mins before this capture

I was on a bus

It seems to happen when browsing around the phone or in a app while moving.

Bug: WiFi doesn’t obey “until tomorrow” notice when disabled from control center. Instead it enables itself again after a few mins of movement. Or in a app. Or it just happens randomly. It’s a bit unpredictable but it will enable itself eventually. Started with 12.3 beta 1.

6. cflasche macrumors regular

Is anyone else having an issue where you redeem a (movie) code in the iTunes store, and after you select Redeem in the top right corner, the iTunes Store app crashes? The movies still redeem, but it doesn't say anything to about successfully redeeming.

7. decypher44 macrumors 6502a

decypher44

Loving this version! So many bugs from b3 squashed! I have my phone back. Yay.

8. Tmelon macrumors 65816

Definitely not fixed on my iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd gen). Still get that pop up when I plug it into the dock or charge the Apple Pencil on the latest beta.

9. JMacIV macrumors member

@ram130 - @Nikhil72 brings up a good point that it is “nearby WiFi until tomorrow”. You being on a bus means you are moving, so you would be moving away from “nearby WiFi” already, triggering it to re-enable once a certain distance away. I think what you are seeing is not a bug, but rather, expected behavior. So really, you are looking for a change to the software and not a bug fix. Just my $0.02.

Jmac

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

That seems strange. So you are saying if I disable for 24 and I take a drive (have AT&T/SPectrum) it will reactivate when I pass through any available wifi that is away from original 24hr location?

With all the public wifi this would make that 24hr option pretty much useless as I would want it away from home, not at home.

Just saying ....

Installing on my IPP G2 as I type this ....
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2019 ---
    The bug where iOS has issues handling contractions in iMessage still exists. The spell check flags as incorrect if the letters before the apostrophe don’t spell a word by itself.

Works fine in Safari.
    Flags as incorrect in iMessage.

8229FE5F-AEB2-4387-A47F-38E3DA061613.jpeg

11. JMacIV macrumors member

I’m definitely not claiming to know all of the specifics of how it works :) just using context clues and personal experience.

With that being said, the function is not “24 hours”, rather, it truly means tomorrow, regardless of if “tomorrow” is 3 or 23 hours away.

I definitely cannot say for sure on your scenario. However, I would imagine driving is different from a bus. Your phone knows when you are in your car (Bluetooth to car stereo), so it would probably wait to enable it back until you got to your destination. Then, assuming your destination is far enough away from the previously “nearby WiFi”, then yes, it should enable again. Bear in mind, some of this is speculation.

Also, it may base part of it’s criteria on what SSIDs are broadcasting. For instance, if you disable in range of an “xfinitywifi” network (common SSID for Comcast/Xfinity customers), it may not automatically enable if your destination, despite not being “nearby”, also has another “xfinitywifi” SSID present since the phone may believe that is the same network.

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I just 24 instead of having to type tomorrow ;)
    It just seems strange to work that way. Not saying wrong ....

Be cool to find out how it is really supposed to work. :cool:

13. JMacIV macrumors member

Ha! Fair enough, 24 is far easier to type than tomorrow.

And for sure, would be nice. Most users wouldn’t care, but some of us would like the details!

14. TheByteSmasher macrumors member

TheByteSmasher

It doesn't disable WiFi until tomorrow. It disables THAT CONNECTION until tomorrow...

15. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Here ya go . https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

16. Banglazed thread starter macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Speedtest ping used to be around 70-80 but now I’m getting 50-55ms.

17. JMacIV macrumors member

18. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

HBO now available in TV. Goodbye terrible HBO NOW app.

19. Banglazed thread starter macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

BC796BEE-9CEF-44B6-AC5D-644D42269905.png
    Interesting. I checked after installing the beta but it wasn’t there earlier.

20. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

Hmm, I've had a pretty good experience with the HBO NOW app. What problems is it giving you?

21. Banglazed thread starter macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

22. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

Until recently, it wasn’t even optimized for the newest devices. Stuttering, and picture quality is not as good as iTunes encoded video. No download options as well. I just downloaded a full season of Barry to watch on my subway commute by subscribing to HBO in the Apple TV app and it was so seamless.

23. ram130 macrumors 6502

ram130

I’m guessing you’re talking about disabling it? I think I missed the post.

Naw you’re correct. But I don’t remember being this annoying in 12.2. The idea is cool but only with more control of it. What if you’re biking around the city or in a taxi. It will try to connect to most public WiFi you have saved and some of those can be slow and congested.

Good point. Thanks. Never thought of that.

Thanks. I must have missed this text Near by. It’s the same in my iPad with 12.2. But still odd it’s happening in this version vs 12.2 where it didn’t auto enable right away before.

If you are correct then it’s working as intended indeed, and Apple must have finally figured it out or fixed it. This now means I’m out of luck with this annoyance. This is a dumb idea without more control over it. Now I have to turn WiFi completely off when I go biking and suffer weak GPS, and lack of airdrop while I’m outside with friends.

Or reset WiFi settings to get rid of all my saved access points. And remember them again when I need to connect to them when there is no service.

This sucks. I must be the only one who don’t like it this way.

24. woody81 macrumors newbie

25. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

Much better on this beta, no music or safari crashes now

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.