HBO and Apple in Talks for $15/Month Apple TV Streaming Service Launching in April

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

HBO is in talks with Apple over a partnership that would see its upcoming standalone web-only subscription television package available on the Apple TV, reports Michael Learmonth, writing for International Business Times. CNBC has also confirmed that Apple and HBO are in talks in the video tweet posted below.

Apple could potentially be one of HBO's launch partners for its web-only service, which may be called "HBO Now." News of HBO's web-based subscription service first surfaced in October of 2014, after HBO CEO Richard Plepler shared the company's plans at an investor presentation.

The service, aimed at cable cutters, will allow users to access HBO content without a cable subscription for a set monthly fee. With the launch of a cable-free subscription service, HBO will become the first major premium content provider to cease limiting its television and movie offerings to cable subscribers.

According to Learmonth, HBO's web-only subscription will launch in April alongside the premiere of the fifth season of Game of Thrones, which takes place on April 12. The service is said to cost $15 per month, which is roughly how much it costs to subscribe to HBO through a cable company. A partnership with Apple would allow the service to be watched on the Apple TV, much like the existing version of HBO's service, HBO Go. HBO Go is available to all existing HBO subscribers on a variety of devices like the iPad and Apple TV, but it requires an HBO subscription through a cable or satellite provider.

[​IMG]
    Cable companies like Time Warner and Comcast have long been reluctant to offer piecemeal pricing and companies like HBO have previously avoided moving away from traditional cable models in order to preserve the status quo and avoid upsetting existing revenue streams.

The introduction of HBO's service will be a major victory for cord cutters, and it could encourage other content providers to introduce similar offerings. Content providers' reluctance to shift away from traditional cable pricing models has been one of the major factors that's prevented Apple from establishing deals for its own service in the past.

Article Link: HBO and Apple in Talks for $15/Month Apple TV Streaming Service Launching in April

2. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

finally a real solution from content providers for cable cutters!!

3. MacFan1957 macrumors member

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

$15 a month for one channel? That could sure add up in a hurry.

5. tmilowski macrumors newbie

This would be big...

Finally!!! I hope it really happens!

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Could not agree more. Netflix and HBO is all I need! I would like showtime, but their app on my appleTV, xbox, and fire stick sucks. Laggy and audio delay. It is only their app!

7. Moofo macrumors newbie

Yawn...

Wake me up when this is avail. in canada...

I wish I had a green card.

8. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

That's sort of like calling Netflix a channel. Or Hulu Plus a channel. Or Amazon Prime a channel.

9. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

It will probably be something like HBO Go, which is more a netflix.

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Doesn't Netflix offer a wide variety of movies and TV shows whereas HBO only offers HBO content? Maybe I'm confused.

11. Antdude macrumors newbie

Antdude

I've already cut the cable. Don't miss it, except for 1 or 2 things, but I'd sign up for this. This is the future and welcome to it.

12. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

13. netdoc66 macrumors regular

netdoc66

These guys are gonna shoot themselves in the foot with these unrealistic prices. $8 is about what I'd pay for this max.

14. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

15. fluchtpunkt macrumors member

Make it available international and I would even pay 15€/Month.

16. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Maybe I am wrong here but this seems a tad pricey. I can only imagine what they will charge if and when it comes to Canada.

17. freediverx macrumors 6502a

Considering about half of the non-PBS shows I consider worth watching are from HBO, I don't consider this a bad deal. it's roughly the same price as Netflix, where the few shows I've liked have been removed and the movie selection is pathetic.

18. Hakone macrumors 6502a

$15/mo for the HBO treasure chest of media... heck ya!

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So instead of one bill to my cable company I'll have multiple bills to different content providers? Or is all of this going to get billed through iTunes? I don't think we'll ever get to complete nirvana which would be okay cable company let me pick the channels I want and quote me a total price for them. I don't want to pay $15 for HBO, $8 for Netflix, $7 for Hulu, etc. Talk about not user friendly.

20. 617arg macrumors 6502

Too bad cutting the cord on FiOS doesn't really save you much when you still need internet service. It was about a $10 per month savings when I called to cancel TV service not too long ago.....

21. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

$15/month would be outstanding. There were one or two folks in previous discussions of this that said there's no way HBO would offer a non-cable, non-bundle rate of $15 (though with some vague caveats about, "well unless there's no content"...)

If this is equivalent to HBOGO, then it's a solid deal (relative to cable/sat).

GOT is *huge* for HBO, great marketing/timing with the 5th season premier.

:cool:

22. MrCornfed macrumors member

MrCornfed

I'm sure there's a load of stuff only available in Portugal. I wouldn't know, since I don't go to Portuguese sites.

23. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Stuff like this is not what would keep me from cutting the cord. I was thinking about dropping HBO, anyway (along with all of the premiums). They're too expensive for what you get, and if I want to watch the one or two movies (maybe) they have per month that are worth my time I can just rent them from Apple TV for $4 apiece. And I've never liked any of the premium channel original programming.

The place where cable/satellite has me by the short hairs is local baseball games. I can't watch my home team without a cable subscription, and the MLB package won't let me watch them because I'm in the local market.

24. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I'm fine with Netflix, don't miss cable since I cut it.

I can download any movie or show and play it on my tv via apple tv.

Lets just say the website has something to do with Jack Sparrow ;)