Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
If you need a cable subscription to get HBO Go, wouldn't you have a set-top box already hooked up to the same TV as the AppleTV? This seems redundent. Does the app allow you to watch whatever HBO offers on-demand?

Pretty much. it also includes past seasons, featurettes, commentaries, and maybe cancelled shows too (not sure)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
How does HBO pay for all the quality shows they've been on through the years? They have high production values. Game of Thrones certainly isn't cheap to produce. How many subscribers do they have?

PDXoPDX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
"Though HBO GO is now available on the Apple TV, accessing the content is still dependent on a cable TV subscription. While many hope that content providers like HBO will at some point offer channels on a piecemeal basis that are not tied to cable providers, HBO garners the majority of its revenue through cable operators, which means cutting the cord is a risky prospect at best."

Okay, but HBO shows also consistently have some of the highest piracy rates. Consumers are speaking, content providers aren't listening. It should be interesting to see what happens in the next 10 years or so–I predict bad things for Big Content.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
The 'there is a grand vision' comment arose from the question, "is there a grand vision?". So you can keep your panties on. It's not as if Tim Cook just suddenly proclaimed there was a grand vision.

I am stoned out of mind right now and your comment just really messed with my head. Maybe I should try reading it and understanding it when I'm not so high.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
This app and the ESPN one are useless to me. I don't subscribe to cable or satellite only internet. Would be nice to get HBO al carte. One day maybe oh well.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
It would seem like HBO would have enough clout with Cable providers to break their exclusivity if they wanted.

My guess is that they negotiate such decent deals with the large providers that the risk that they could make that up by selling ala carte is probably high and they may not like the marketing expense and trouble required to make up the difference.

The amount they would be paid but Comcast, etc would no doubt be negotiated down.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
It is unclear if HBO used an existing SDK to create the app ...

From what I know about developing for Apple TV (and I know just a tiny bit after attending the "Developing for Apple TV" talk at AltWWDC), it's vastly different than developing a plain old App Store app. Apple TV itself is an app running on iOS, so your Apple TV "app" needs to be a bundle of code and resources that the Apple TV app uses. More than that I'm not going to say.

Apple has, in the past, referred to the Apple TV as a "hobby project," though the company is rumored to be exploring new product lines that could eventually include an Apple television set.

I'd be extremely surprised and happy if Apple released any sort of TV hardware before 4K television sets and content are widespread. And that will take years and years and years. It feels like Apple is working on contract negotiations, laying the technical and legal foundations, secretly developing future-Apple-TV proof-of-concept devices and software, and waiting for the market to be even more ready for innovative disruption. Apple is ready, waiting, and in no particular hurry.

Zudeo

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Toronto, ON
Correct, HBO On Demand, on cable, only has a limited selection of HBO shows and movies, which changes over time. HBO Go has their ENTIRE back catalog of series and original movies, plus special content.

*whistles* hot damn. Oz! Boardwalk Empire! Lucky Louie! Deadwood! Game of Thrones! Aaaahh!!

I still wish it was for $5/mo like Netflix. Sure, they have quality content, but they don't have the quantity. At least I don't think so ... correct me if I'm wrong.

jamescobalt

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Boston, MA
Comcast is a bully

and like all bullies, most of their power is an illusion they concoct. HBO is more powerful than they realize. Comcast is just scared. They know as soon as one content provider realizes they don't *need* them, the floodgates will open. Even if Comcast threatened to stop offering HBO entirely, it wouldn't last long. Consumers wouldn't stand for it. Comcast would eventually have to relent... or refund substantial amounts for unused HBO subscriptions, lose many customers, and see major drops in their stock price (and Comcast LIVES for short term stock performance...).

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
Right, so it's Charter that need ******* with rusty screwdriver in their sorry *****.

bulletmarks

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
No sign-in for DirecTV!

Try registering with DirecTV, its not an option with the activation on AppleTV. Whats going on here?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
and like all bullies, most of their power is an illusion they concoct. HBO is more powerful than they realize. Comcast is just scared. They know as soon as one content provider realizes they don't *need* them, the floodgates will open. Even if Comcast threatened to stop offering HBO entirely, it wouldn't last long. Consumers wouldn't stand for it. Comcast would eventually have to relent... or refund substantial amounts for unused HBO subscriptions, lose many customers, and see major drops in their stock price (and Comcast LIVES for short term stock performance...).

HBO wields a ton of power and has since "Sopranos", i think they realize it but they are just getting paid too much to change things up.

Without HBO and a few others the Cable stranglehold would fail.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
I am stoned out of mind right now and your comment just really messed with my head. Maybe I should try reading it and understanding it when I'm not so high.

During D11 Kara Swisher asked Tim Cook if there was a "Grand Vision" and Tim replied "Yes".

What else was he going to say when put on the spot? Tim Cook was merely answering a question and never raised the point that Apple had a "Grand Vision" for Apple TV or a TV made by Apple.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Can someone please explain to me how HBO would lose revenue by introducing a subscription service? Wouldn't they continue to generate revenue from cable operators as well as subscribers?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
HBO's cable-based catalog of on-demand content is fairly limited. Game of Thrones, for instance, only has the current season's episodes available on-demand (at present.) The Sopranos currently has no episodes available through my cable-tv subscription.

Via the AppleTV app, however, virtually the entire back catalog of HBO material is available. All eight seasons of The Sopranos; previous seasons of Game of Thrones, Generation Kill; etc. etc.

Yes, the AppleTV version is 720 versus 1080; but its hard to complain about the quality. And if you feel the need for a binge-fix to get you up to speed on a show you didn't catch the first time around, the HBO AppleTV app is thing of beauty indeed.

720P vs. 1080i ? 720P is better than 1080i. Of course it can be argued that 720P on Apple TV is not true 720P. ;)

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Can someone please explain to me how HBO would lose revenue by introducing a subscription service? Wouldn't they continue to generate revenue from cable operators as well as subscribers?

Yes I think can speculate on that. First, it would nullify their contracts with the providers so that would put them in breach, or require a cancelation and renegotiation.

Secondly the gap from what they are currently making in payments from Comcast etc, and what they make selling direct would not be made up overnight. In the long run it could be better but it would take time and add lots of additional marketing costs and some other overheads.

This is not to say the provider revenue would go away, it would no doubt go down.

Finally, they could not reach the non-tech savy market very quickly. Those that can just barely figure out how to turn on their cable boxes and mess up whenever anyone turns the input on their remote to another input.

There would be lots of other interesting ramifications too.

daveup2bat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
California
No DTV

How is it that Directv isn't one of the supported networks for HBOGO on AppleTV, when it's supported by HBOGO on the IPad? I don't get it! :mad:

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
I watch HBO Go on Roku 2 HD(720P). The quality is not that great with Roku showing 8Mbps connection. I have Brighthouse Turbo(30 Mbps package).

Is it the same with AppleTV or better? Can someone comment on this?

HBO Go provides HBO parent company with information on how many users are accessing it over Internet. This will give them the metrics to decide if they want to go independent of cable TV operators. OR, it will give them negotiating power when they sit down to extend the contracts.

I am assuming lot of HBO subscribers in rural areas are still tied to cable TV with low bandwidth internet. don't know to what extent, but that could be a deterrent for HBO to go rogue. Also, cable TV companies control most broadband internet.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I am assuming lot of HBO subscribers in rural areas are still tied to cable TV with low bandwidth internet. don't know to what extent, but that could be a deterrent for HBO to go rogue. Also, cable TV companies control most broadband internet.

Yep! Its a complex issue and their are lots of moving pieces. Net neutrality comes into play. The Cable providers do not want to be just a utility and a pipe, profits are not as great there.

barkingsheltie

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Thousand Oaks
When I launched the new HBO Go on my AppleTV last night, I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality UI and intractability; it shames the Verizon FIOS on-demand HBO experience. Reading that development transpired internally, this makes so much sense.
My hope is the HBO Go result is a forerunner of things to come. Coming out of the veritable stone-age in TV content access.

Verizon FIOS recently released a FIOS home page for users, that appears when you first turn on the box. OMG, its pathetic beyond any reasonable expectation. It is so slow, cumbersome & awkward, what were they thinking? Juxtaposed with the AppleTV or others, and now especially with HBO Go, they deserve to be dethroned and scattered to the wayside.

As I understand the cable tv biz model, ESPN represents the lion's share for subscription costs. However, is this justifiable, or is the "elephant sitting in the room" reflective of the real situation?

As adoption continues, if true market forces are not overly-constrained/dampened by telecos/cable, we might begin to see more accurate viewing habits, and potentially better routing of subscription revenue to content creators that deserve funding.

I have never watch ESPN, but drool at the thought of 10x shows of the likes of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, et al.

One can hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.