HBO Pushes Back Removal of HBO GO and HBO NOW Apps from Older Apple TVs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On Wednesday, HBO announced that HBO GO and HBO NOW would no longer be available on the second and third generation Apple TV models from April 30, 2020. The company has now extended this deadline, and will remove HBO NOW from these platforms on May 15, 2020 and HBO GO will remain available for "a few additional months."

Speaking to Engadget, an HBO spokesperson described the decision to remove these streaming services from older Apple TV models as a "business-as-usual device deprecation that was planned several months ago." The company hopes that the extended deadline provides people with enough time to upgrade their Apple TV models and otherwise prepare for the day they are removed.

HBO GO and HBO NOW will remain functional on the newest Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K platforms, which range from about $149.00 to $169.00 at this time. There are numerous shows and movies that can be streamed for free on HBO GO and HBO NOW as well, including Silicon Valley, Succession, The Wire, and more.

Article Link: HBO Pushes Back Removal of HBO GO and HBO NOW Apps from Older Apple TVs

Reactions: Noelmel

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Good move....not sure why HBO Now is only getting an extra two weeks though (not familiar with their products)

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
You'd think they could at least wait until the pandemic is over. People aren't going to be shopping for new A/V equipment right now. They're going to lose subscribers because they can't watch anymore, and many of them may not come back.
Totally agree. From a publicity perspective, this was a dumb idea and insensitive to the world many folks are living in right now.
- - Post merged: - -

The 2012 3rd gen Apple TV has 512MB of memory and a single-core A5 professor, putting it on the same performance level as a 2010 iPhone 4. I’m surprised it still works at all.
I doubt streaming 1080p content is that taxing on the A5. It's not truly multitasking like the iPhone or iPad.

kyleh22

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I wonder if they're moving HBO from older devices b/c apple is releasing an update ATV HBO will now need to support. My fingers are crossed a new ATV is coming out.
- - Post merged: - -

A5 and 512mb is the iPhone 4s. Which currently supports HBO Go on iOS8 and is not losing support.
The phones have been throttled, the ATV hasn't been lol The Iphone 4s used to be very speedy until the iphone 5 was release lol

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
A5 and 512mb is the iPhone 4s. Which currently supports HBO Go on iOS8 and is not losing support.
The A5 in the 3rd gen Apple TV is a single core variant. The iPhone 4S has a dual core A5 which is much more powerful.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors G5
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, people’s incomes are being shut down. Get some perspective for god sakes.
true...while some geographic locations have been hit hard. Others have not. In Arizona where I live walk into any walmart or grocery store thats sell TVs and they are flying off the shelves. I guess people want to be stuck at home watching from a new TV or streaming hardware

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
While this doesn’t personally affect me.. I just question why?

I understand you cant support backwards compatibility forever but the older ones should have enough power to support simple streaming abilities?

Though I imagine worst case for these people they can stream from their phones/computers to the apple Tv

lkrupp

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2004
What concerns me is that I will buy a new Apple TV only to see a new model come out shortly thereafter.
If that concerns you then you won’t be buying anything soon. No matter what there’s always the chance that a new product will be released shortly after you buy the current one. That applies to Apple products, HDTVs, computers, A/V equipment, anything electronic. I’m still waiting for an iMac 27” 2020 refresh. With my luck it will be announced the day after I buy the early 2019 model. Party on, dude.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
While this doesn’t personally affect me.. I just question why?

I understand you cant support backwards compatibility forever but the older ones should have enough power to support simple streaming abilities?

Though I imagine worst case for these people they can stream from their phones/computers to the apple Tv
There's also an internal cost to maintaining support for various platforms. With the ATV3 having been released 8 years ago, they must assume most folks have moved on, and therefore they don't want to spend internal resources on maintaining an outdated platform.

• Disagree
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

russell_314

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You'd think they could at least wait until the pandemic is over. People aren't going to be shopping for new A/V equipment right now. They're going to lose subscribers because they can't watch anymore, and many of them may not come back.
They know that they have exclusive content so if you want to watch it you’ll play by their rules and if not too bad so sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.