Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Macworld reports that the first high-definition video downloads have appeared on the UK iTunes Store. The first two episodes of the fifth season of the hit TV show Lost are now available at a cost of £2.49 per episode, with a season pass available for £41.99. Macworld also notes that a free "Lost Starter Kit" is available in high-definition as well.

High-definition TV show downloads were introduced as part of iTunes 8 at Apple's "Let's Rock" media event, but availability has been limited to the US iTunes Store since that time.

Article Link: HD Downloads Starting to Appear in UK iTunes Store

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Its a shame the price is so high, but then we are paying a lot for SD content as it is. iTunes video would really take off if the prices came down. I reckon the studios have more to do with these prices than Apple. They want to protect their DVD sales and not give control to Apple.

Comment

dannyboi83

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Wales
About time...

Well it is about time that we had it, but it is still way to expensive, but what can we do. Would also be nice if the shows were released the same time as US as well, but that's asking for too much. Feel much better after that moan :D

Comment

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
And those of us in Ireland still get no TV and no movies on iTunes.
Beat me to it. Yet still Apple are quite happy to flog AppleTVs in Ireland... I wonder how many they sell?! (Yes, I know you can do other things with AppleTVs... but are they really worth €375 without the ability to buy TV shows and movies?)

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
And now we continue the wait for HD Movies. I would stop buying DVD's at the store if Apple would release HD Movies on iTunes. I think the SD content is the same price as the DVD with no 5.1 and poor quality.

I will not buy Blu-Ray as I really don't need 1080p with HD Surround, just want atleast DVD quality in the iTunes store with 5.1.

Comment

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
better yet, hook a mini up to your t.v. and stream the HD version to your tv from ABC's site.

oh how i wish the new mini would come out. our home media hub needs an update!

Comment

DyingSun

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Beat me to it. Yet still Apple are quite happy to flog AppleTVs in Ireland... I wonder how many they sell?! (Yes, I know you can do other things with AppleTVs... but are they really worth €375 without the ability to buy TV shows and movies?)

Not only Ireland, but Portugal as well and many other countries, I believe. It doesn't make a lot of sense really. You feel awfully discriminated and I don't understand where the issues lie... it means more revenue, so what's the problem?

Comment

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007

Also beat me to it... SO many Irish people on here I never knew :)

Annoys me every time another European market gets iTunes stuff that we don't :(

The Panel would be great on iTunes... though it's free on RTÉ if we use crappy Realplayer...

Comment

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
People pay for this stuff?!!

In times past, games/hardware/misc other junk that was late to these shores and only available as pricey imports annoyed me.

This is not one of those occasions, laugh-out-loud!

Comment

lewchenko

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
£2.50 for one hour (or less!!!) of HD TV ?

You have got to be joking. Do they think we are mugs ? What a ripp off ?

They can shove it up their *&!@'s !

Comment

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
Stick it.

Can you keep it on your hard drive, or do you only get a certain amount of time to watch it? Either way they can stick it, for £10.00 a month (i.e. 4 episodes of LOST) you can add plenty of channels to a basic/free SKY subscription, and get LOST included, may not be HD, but I've lived this long without it!!

Comment

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Very pricey. The UK seems to be charged a premium just for being the UK!!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.