HD video is bad on new i7 PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Nov 19, 2009.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I just built a new PC using a 2.8ghz i7 with 4gb ram and a gts250 graphics card. Now all is well except for the performance is not what i'd expect it to be. HD video for instance is using almost no cpu, which normally would be attributed to the new powerful processor, but it's jumpy and has audio sync issues. My old amd x2 2ghz seems better on some fronts. Anyone have an idea as to why its so crappy.

2. masterapple04 macrumors regular

I would first check that you're using the latest Nvidia driver for your card. I suppose you could also check your audio driver. After that, my only thought is that you should have gotten better than a GTS 250. You bought a great proc, but cheaped out on the graphics. I've got a year old GTX 260 and I've not managed to find anything other than games at 1920x1200 and full graphics settings that cause any sort of slowdown.

3. No1451 macrumors 6502

I would look at drivers but disregard what the area about the GPU. In all reality with a CPU like that the GPU doesn't even need to come into play to do video playback.

Steps:
    1) Ensure latest drivers
    2) Ensure that you are using a good release of whatever playback program you like(try some alternatives as well, like VLC)
    3) Are you running at your monitors native resolution? Sometimes you can get what APPEARS to be video slowdown but is actually tearing(video not syncing top--->bottom correctly) if you are running an off aspect ratio or having to stretch to scan over the entirety of the screen. Check that none of this will be playing into it

If none of this is the issue you might want to look at the video itself, if its MKV it can be really easy for you to have a mildly corrupt file that just will never play right, if it's iTunes or somesuch I have no idea and cannot speak to that.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You should have gotten the HD 4850 or HD 4870 which are way more powerful and are not that expensive. Also you could have bought an HD 5770 which is newer.

Nvidia's cards are last gen. The GTS 250 is a joke I would never recommend. At least a 260 GTX would have faired better.

In any case, try having the latest drivers installed.

5. No1451 macrumors 6502

Not terrible not great, they are technically rebranded 9800+ that never made it to market:rolleyes:, but realistically any videocard above the $60 mark will handle HD video just fine(given that it has the required compatibilities which it does).

@OP: What program ARE you using to view the files and what was the source?

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Update drivers, use a different playback program, but also use a different file because sometimes files are just created poorly, and won't work right no matter what you try to do.

the GTS 250 is more then adequate.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That single part gives me the cue that the GTS 250 is a piece of crap. Something that doesn't make it as it was intended has no value. In any case OP, the GTS should handle HD smoothly (it has a $150 price tag).

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

When I say didn't make it to market I mean more as in unsold cores/etc. HD video really shouldn't be an issue at any rate.

OP you dead?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ah, well then, in that case, yes, I agree. OP must be dead.:eek:

10. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, no i'm not dead.

It was the file. I have been using vlc player, but i switched to media player classic and it fixed the sync issues. I guess i was just disappointed at how little work the cpu was doing in comparison to the gpu. All is good now, i was just being picky.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Good to know!! We don't want deaths on our hands:D Glad your HD playback issue is resolved also.

12. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I was having similar issues with HD playback on the rig below. Switching from VLC to WMPC also fixed my problem.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

All you need to do is download a decent codec pack. That is your issue.

14. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I thought the reason VLC was the standard for video playback was because all the codecs you needed were already built in.