HDD for backups

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ravich, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be getting a 2TB HDD strictly for time machine and backups of sample libraries, etc. All I really care about is reliability, and not so much speed.

Is it a bad idea to keep a backup HDD as an internal drive? My options are that, or an enclosure, or a regular old external drive. Any recommendations? Either on which way to go or enclosures and HDDs and whatnot.

2. Username652719 macrumors newbie

If you have the cash, go with a Drobo + Caviar Greens; you will sleep comfortably for the rest of your life.

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely not looking to spend much money on this at the moment.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

HOW MANY slots are empty in your mac pro? if you have 2 empty slots it is an easy choice. a pair of hitachi greens are low cost. use one for time machine and one for super duper clones. pm me i have a lot of them with lite use under warranty.

5. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro is probably going to end up with 1 free HDD bay. What exactly do you mean by super duper clones?

6. strausd macrumors 68030

I got 2 Caviar Blacks for all my stuff and 2 Caviar Greens for backup. Have not had a problem yet. I shut it down and checked the drives and the greens seemed a little cooler. Got two 2TB Caviar Greens for $120 each, not bad at all.

7. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like the 120$ 2TB Caviar Green is for me. Is there anything bad about having time machine on the same HDD as other folders?

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

superduper is free software on the net it makes an exact copy of the drive you pick. it is better then timemachine in that you can have an instant boot able copy of your osx. time machine can be a slow to restart device. if you have 1 internal slot you could put in a 2tb hdd and match the partitions to your other three internal drives. lets say for argument sake
    drive 1 is osx and it is a 120gb ssd.
    drive 2 is movies 1tb drive
    3 is music 640gb

partition drive 4 into 4 partitions

1)120gb

2)1tb and

3)640gb

4)spare 240gb

then use super duper to clone each one. super duper is free.

it you have an external 2tb you can copy the backup and you have 2 sets of backups. cost you about 220 for an heir and a spare so to speak.