HDD selection in 2010 MP : Black Caviar or RE4

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MCHR, Sep 5, 2010.

1. MCHR macrumors regular

Noob question, I'm sure. But as I'm learning how to optimize my 2010 MP, I'm also in need of advice to select components.

My workflow is largely 2D imagery, generating multiple Photoshop images, collating into PowerPoint, Keynote, or other presentation media. I will likely be running Rhino at some point to speed the design process (for 2D deliverables), potentially running Maya at some future point (TBD).

My current rig is a 2005 G5, with a 74GB Raptor and a 160GB Maxtor for storage. External LaCie d2.

I'd like to set up my new MP with an SSD as a boot drive. I have a Vertex 2 selected to fill that need.

But since I'm not looking for absolute speed, I'd like to focus on real-world reliability and duplicating. Have heard that RAID 1 is what I'd need since this 'mirrors' data into two twin drives. (?) I'll research backup options as well.

This has me questioning which drive to purchase for the internal RAID or duplication

I'd like to stay with WD (Raptor never let me down), and see that the Black Caviars are suited for the best workstation use. I also see that the RE4 line is designed for RAID and server use, being validated for 1.2 million hours of use. And, some information I've been able to gather shows the RE4 being a very quick drive. (links below)

But will RAID 1 keep the drives spinning all the time? I doubt I will be doing a lot of i/o with Photoshop and Painter, just using a lot of RAM and processor speed. But the stability and longevity of the RE series has me leaning that way, and with a 5 year warranty. . . . Though the Black Caviars are no slouch either.

Here are a number of reviews on the 2TB version of both the BC and RE4, one set up against a 600GB VelociRaptor, but at least the WD drives are compared side-by-side.

Or, is there another drive in the WD portfolio that would better suit my needs?

Storage Review, 2TB RE4, BC and VR

PC perspective, 2TB BC and RE4

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

If you can afford them the re4 are good have a 5 year warranty. I have 2 since june 24/7. with no problems.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

4. MCHR thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I went with the Seagate Barracuda LP 7200rpm 1TB drives, that I have setup as a RAID 0 array together in my Mac Pro. The drives were about $79.99 a piece from OWC (www.macsales.com)