HDMI adapter - who bought one?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TheSandman2236, Mar 11, 2011.

1. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

I was #1 at the evanston, Illinois store so picked up the 32gb black wifi model. Along with it I grabbed the hdmi adapter as well. Did anyone else pick one up? I'm curious what everyones experience is with it -- Netflix, gaming, movies etc..

2. mgford11 macrumors member

Ordered from apple because best buy sucked last year with accessories last year at launch. I'm hoping it's awesome. I need to check out monoprice for a
    16ft cable.

3. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

I picked one up. Not to much done with it yet. However I did try FaceTime with it. Video looks amazing on a huge tv but with a lot of people in the room and the audio only coming out the iPad bit difficult to hear the person.

Tried a YouTube video just to check and it does come out of tv just not for FaceTime at this moment for some odd reason.

Maybe portable speakers? I didn't have any lying around so idk

4. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

How come audio was coming from Ipad and not Tv? HDMI is supposed to transmit both Video and Audio :confused:

5. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Good question. I will try mine in an hour, need more sleep, my feet are killing me from the long wait.

6. AppleHead1989 macrumors newbie

I picked one up and I must say it was not what I thought it would be. The picture did not fill up the screen which made it look very awkward on a big screen. The picture quality was okay but nothing to write home about. Apple always makes products look good on their advertisements but to me it fell short when I used it myself. I will give it another go today though.

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

have on on order, but will need a 20ft cable for my setup

8. M87 macrumors 65816

They had no accessories at the Wal-Mart where I got my iPad 2. Tried Target and they didn't have any either. Bummer.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bought one. Pretty cool actually. Played Angry Birds on my 55" TV.

So basically it'll mirror the screen until an app that specifically address the secondary display is launched, then it'll behave much like the first iPad - for example, Keynote will still output slides to the secondary display and show the presenter view on the iPad's screen.

10. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I picked one up but haven't used it yet. I got it because I have an Optoma 301 pico projector and this will be great for my mobile theater setup. IPad + adapter + projector + back yard fire pit + friends = fun. :)

11. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

I picked one up yesterday and it works great.
    Works across the entire iOS and all apps, dead clear.

My wife is a teacher and I plan to wire her room monitor and smartboard for easy iPad plug-in at her podium. Teaching uses for this are just unlimited. :)

12. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You have no idea.

What do you think will happen with apps/ui if its stretched to a 16:9 format? It will look awful

13. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I got one, it doesn't mirror everything. It won't show my eyetv live feed but will show recorded ones. Not sure why it would know the difference.

14. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

So how does it compare to AppleTV?

Can an iPad become an AppleTV? Or are there major differences? I never played with AppleTV, but I would get an iPad if it served the same function (as well as doing all other iPad-type stuff).

15. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I picked one up and from what I was told is that is output videos and movies at 720p and everything ( that supports mirroring of course ) at 1080p for everything else ( like safari )

So i thought, Ok, 1080p, so that means i could browse the web at FULL SCREEN on my 46" LED TV, when i connected it via HDMI and tried safari ( and a few other things ) it only took up a "box" portion of the screen, so webpages were not full screen. I thought if it outputs at 1080p, then it would be full screen on my TV?

guess i was wrong..Going to return it during the week.

16. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Yeah it can't do full screen 16:9 because the ipad is 4:3. It wont look right stretched.

I have read that the ipad can do video out in 16:9 depending on if the app supports it and the resolution of the original material. Has anyone tried this? How does it work?

17. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

If you combine Home Sharing with the HDMI adapter, which I did buy, and stream audio or a movie to your TV, I don't see a huge need.

Anyone tell me if there are any option to charge an iPad while syncing. I did not know it didn't charge by default. Just used to the iPhone. I have 2 powered usb adapters, but I guess they don't have enough juice. What units will work?

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Bought one but going to return it. It's cool but I don't really see the purpose for me. I will have to buy a 30ft hdmi cable.

19. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I'll get one off ebay in a couple of months time when they will be going for £6

20. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Wish there was a dock with HDMI output for Netflix and such. Guess that's what the Apple TV is for.

21. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

We tested ours with Netflix on a 24" monitor (w/speakers) this morning. Looks beautiful, works great, the sound comes through the speakers nicely. I also like how you have the controls on the iPad and just the movie on the display. Love it!

22. dylanursula macrumors 6502

For those who have this - does the sound come from the iPad or the TV?
    I would hope its the TV :)

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I pray you're ordering from monoprice.com or some other place that won't charge you $150 for such a cable. You can get a 25-foot cable there for $15. You might find a six-foot cable for that price in most stores.

24. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Used it last night to watch two Comedy Central shows via Netflix. the first one was boxed in a 4:3 ratio. The second one was 16:9 and filled the screen. Not sure if it was 720p or 1080p. However for $19, I was very happy with the little adapter. :)

25. Maaz macrumors 6502a

I Used it for about an hour last night Everything works. Surfed web. Watched air video movies. Veetle. So sick, all videos play FULL SCREEN on my tv. It's exactly how I predicted. Black bars when iPad device screen is full screen, and when the iPad would have bars at the top the tv would show full screen. Basically any video playing through any app will be full screen on your tv.