HDMI Cables: Good website to buy from?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maxington, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

Any good websites to buy inexpensive HDMI cables?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

4. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

5. Maxington thread starter macrumors 6502

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

National Wholesale Liquidators (retail store) is going out of business. I picked up 4 - 9 foot HDMI cables for 8 bucks each. :D

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Oh the irony lol.

I can't believe they are going out of business. I might have to head over there then.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was there last week and the place was pretty sparse so they might be closed by now. Walked out with a ton of stuff for only $11 (not including the cables).

9. izibo macrumors 6502

Another vote for http://www.monoprice.com. They have excellent quality products at very low prices. I spent around $100 in high-quality cables there to wire a few home entertainment systems (they sell just about anything wire related you could want) and the quality was absolutely amazing considering I was often paying less than $5 per cable.

10. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yep, Monoprice.com.

11. mpshay macrumors 6502

Another very satisfied monoprice customer. Probably placed 7 or 8 orders and have alwys been very pleased with not only the prices but also the customer service. In fact I just got a good price on some toner for a laser printer.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

13. rhyx macrumors 6502

Monoprice.com is best for cables. Newegg will rape you on shipping.

14. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Another vote for monoprice.com. I just ordered a bunch of HDMI cables--each one a different length--to have in my collection. I got 6 cables and paid less, even after shipping, than I'd pay for one cable at Best Buy.

15. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

so why do all retailers charge through the a$$ for HDMI cables? u can get them online for less then 5 bucks (plus shipping?) isnt the point of digital as long as u have a pretty decent signal, u have it. either u have it or u dont? 0 or 1?

16. hscottm macrumors member

Hate to be blunt, but two reasons: 1) because they can and 2) because most consumers dont know any better.

Retailers have a fairly captive audience. Even the net using public (majority now) doesnt do research for something as simple as cables. Worse, its fairly easy for salespeople at retailers to tack on "relatively cheap" cables after they've convinced you to buy a $2000 TV. $50 for a 3-foot HDMI cable sounds insignificant.

The real crooks in my mind now are the Monster Cable/etc companies. We can see now how much money they make BUT realize retail markups are often 50-100% for accessories, so retailers are making a killing along with the manufacturers.

17. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Ya its kinda bugged me for a while now. i mean back when EVERYTHING was analog, the better the cable, the better, but now pretty much what u need is just a cable that wont lose all ur signal.

18. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

Amazon.com has HDMI cables for under $2. I ordered four and they just arrived yesterday. :D

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I bought $9 HDMI cables on Amazon and after 6 months they began to artifact the picture. Up-close the picture looked 'cartoonish' or like it was drawn with chalk.

Seriously though. That's less than a meal. My monoprice.com cables are still pushing ahead :)

20. Yanwoo macrumors regular

monoprice.com is good but www.bluejeanscable.com is even better. They're a little more expensive but the build quality is superior. If you visit a the geeky home cinema forum they'll always get a mention. I've personally ordered several HDMI and other audio cables from them and always been delighted.

Although their site does suck! (maybe a good sign?)

21. Yanwoo macrumors regular

forgot to mention, their recommended 3ft cable is about $12 and 6ft is $17.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

BJs makes a very good cable

others are bestpricecables.com Jason runs specials all the time. These cables are all hand made in Washington State.

Element cable is also very nice.

If you feel like spending some cash bettercables.com

I run mono cables and they are aquequate but I am in the process of shoppng for cables with a thicker conductor, better insulator and better constructed connector.
    Mono cables will serve you well.

23. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ha theres a very big company in the UK selling them for $60, not even gold plated, and they sell really well. People just pay so much because when they get a tv or something they see the expensive HDMI is in the store with them and they think, "ahhh i'll just get it now".