Hdmi to Thunderbolt converters?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thisisanacc, Jun 6, 2011.

1. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

Previously, there are HDMI to Mini Display Port converters for the 27'' iMac so that the iMac can be used as an external monitor.

Anyone knows are there brands or companies developing HDMI to Thunderbolt converters so that the very new iMac 27'' can be used as what mentioned above?
    Just asked Kanex a week before and they do not give people even an estimated time for the release of the modified product but just said it will come out. I dont know if there is technical problem developing it so that eventually the product development dies.

This bothers me a lot for whether to get a new iMac or not.

2. Meever macrumors 6502a

Those converters were very expensive and impractical.

And no one knows. Hell, we don't even have a single thunderbolt accessory out on the consumer market at the moment....

3. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

But, but, but... HDMI is obsolete and Thunderbolt the new industry standard, why would anyone need a converter? :D

I too would love to use the iMac as an external monitor for HDMI sources, but I guess that will not happen.

4. ashamam macrumors newbie

Personally I think there will be adaptors at some point. However the posts over at Kanex are ridiculous.... People cancelling orders and the like because Kanex won't a) definitely confirm they will release one and b) give dates. What do you expect, they can just whistle up a product in 2 weeks?

Crazy stuff, its going to take time. From memory the 1st gen adaptors lagged quite a while behind the first target display mode imac.

I too want the functionality but if it doesn't arrive I doubt I'll hate my brand new full spec (bar RAM) Imac on its way to me early July :p.

5. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

No, no reason for hate towards your Mac. I'm waiting for a solution/work around. Because this is, in reality, only Apple wanting to be in total control and me not wanting that :D

6. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

I think Thunderbolt is DOA, we'll be lucky to see a single peripheral to use the connector.

Maybe Apple start start releasing a couple useful converters in the meantime - such as Thunderbolt to USB 3.0.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Do you really believe your post or are you just mixing?

8. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

The last line was sarcasm...

"Maybe Apple start start releasing a couple useful converters in the meantime - such as Thunderbolt to USB 3.0."

Pundits say USB 3.0 will kill off Thunderbolt :(

9. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Thunderbolt is implemented over MiniDisplayport..

I'm not sure how much of the gloom in thread is sarcastic, but you simply get a MiniDisplayport to Dvi adapter ($6ish from mono price.com) then a dvi-hdmi cable and you're good to go. Audio needs to be routed separately.

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

thunderbold is the new industry standard made by apple ...no one else offers it at the moment ,it will be the same as it was with firewire , which to was a industry standard made by apple to replace usb ..which never really happened
    and most of pc world go direction usb 3.0 as you dont need to throw away all your accesoires because its backwards compatible and not even a adapter needed

and so far i have not seen a TV with a thunderbold port so ....

11. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

This may (emphasis on may) work to output video from the iMac to another display, but it absolutely will not work to input video to the iMac using Target Display Mode, like the OP was asking about.

12. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

And to make matters worse, Thunderbolt has incompatible connectors! Sony = USB ports, Apple = DisplayPort.

What a mess.

13. wangkom macrumors member

Pisses me off that Apple keeps on going from one video port to another (dvi-mdp-thunderbolt) without offering reasonably priced adapters.

Instead we have to fork over 150 bucks to 3rd party vendors like Atlona just to get our Apple products compatible with each other....

14. thisisanacc thread starter macrumors newbie

Although it wil cost about 150 bucks, I will pay for converters once it works fine since I really need one. However, It is impossible to find one on the Market till an unkonwn day. That upset me even more. Shouldn't Apple provide at least a cable/adapter between MDP and Thunderbolt as MDP is just currently in use for most of it's own products.

I just hope I can get some information about such converters. Sorry for my complaining.

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You do understand that this post about using a _________ to plug INTO an iMac and use its screen... right?

Cause it sounds like you are talking the other way... from the iMac to a second display -- and those adapters are $6...

16. okboy macrumors regular

I'm wondering if any such adapter/converter has been made yet.

17. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I do think its kind of bush league that apple keeps switching from one standard to another but I also think that thunderbolt is here to stay and given the potential, I like it way better than the mini display port for mini dvi or whatever. It's so much more flexible. Next year's tax return is going towards a thunderbolt raid.