Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
Just try PB9, the bug still there.

And no, for video decoding, I never mention the H264 issue in my bug report.

Also, just check the hardware encoding bug. Apple fixed the QuickTime Player's export error, but not the way we want. They rather fix the hardware encoding issue, but just put us back on software encoding.

Hey h98, I saw in the Polaris thread you said that the *encoding* bug was fixed/closed, but not using hardware. Have you had any further response on your decoding issue (where you have to quit QT Player and reopen)? I still have the problem w/ the latest DB11 (18A389).

I've submitted a bug report as well, but have gotten no response at all. Are you submitting w/ Feedback Assistant? I've submitted 3 issues and haven't gotten a single response. Also submitted a couple back in the El Capitan beta days, no response there either. Wondering what a response actually looks like and whether I'm "doing it right". Anyway, any info about decode?

Fred

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey h98, I saw in the Polaris thread you said that the *encoding* bug was fixed/closed, but not using hardware. Have you had any further response on your decoding issue (where you have to quit QT Player and reopen)? I still have the problem w/ the latest DB11 (18A389).

I've submitted a bug report as well, but have gotten no response at all. Are you submitting w/ Feedback Assistant? I've submitted 3 issues and haven't gotten a single response. Also submitted a couple back in the El Capitan beta days, no response there either. Wondering what a response actually looks like and whether I'm "doing it right". Anyway, any info about decode?

Fred

Yes, I submitted a bug report about the hardware decoding issue on 21 Aug. A few back and forth with the Apple Engineers.

Their last reply to me is on 19 Sep, and they said still under investigation. Will contact me is need required.

Anyway, don't use Feedback Assistant. You won't get any reply from there.

Use bugreport.apple.com

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Apple sent me another update. They said they believe this issue is fixed in the 10.14.1 beta. However, I have no access to that DP. Can't test it now.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Currently iTunes only streams HDR content to Apple TV, so neither macOS or Windows can playback HDR content.
Is this true? According to Apple:
iPhone 8 and newer, iPad Pro (2017), and Apple TV 4K can play HDR10 and Dolby Vision content.

HDR10, Dolby Vision, and 4K content playback requires compatible devices. Check the tech specs for your Apple product to see if your device can play 4K, HDR, or Dolby Vision videos.
While iOS devices with LCD screen lack "HDR display", they are capable of streaming HDR contents. I believe if Settings | TV | iTunes Video | Download HDR Videos option is available and is set to on, your iOS device is at least capable of playing HDR contents in P3 color space.

All iOS devices with an OLED screen specify "High Dynamic Range with Dolby Vision and HDR10 content". Watching iTunes contents marked with HDR10 or Dolby Vision look vastly different to my eyes on iPhone XS.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I’m out of town, but will check it out next week when I am able. Hope they’re right about that!

Tested, and not fixed. They do make some changes indeed. We were able to play those high demand HEVC video at least once. But now, not even once on the latest beta.

So, my suggestion is do NOT rush to install the 10.14.1.

Anyway, Apple closed my bug report, and suggested me to raise another one. Because the issue is now “changed”

Reactions: crjackson2134

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
VLC got updated, plays the "Sony Camp 4K Demo" relay well now. osx10.13
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 6.50.47 pm.png
not perfect but seems best playback for me, gpu & CPU seems more used (i think?)

Reactions: h9826790

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
well i tried on windows and depressing to see 1% cpu use and same or less gpu use to play the same file.
yes your correct but for me QuickTime cant play the file back without drooping a lot of frames at least it looks like VLC can brute force it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
well i tried on windows and depressing to see 1% cpu use and same or less gpu use to play the same file.
yes your correct but for me QuickTime cant play the file back without drooping a lot of frames at least it looks like VLC can brute force it.

Strange, in my case, all QuickTime, IINA, VLC can do hardware decoding smoothly. And QuickTime is the best because of no over saturation issue.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Strange, in my case, all QuickTime, IINA, VLC can do hardware decoding smoothly. And QuickTime is the best because of no over saturation issue.

QuickTime doesn't convert from HDR to SDR, you colors in QuickTime are not the one intended, they are simply wrong. Colors in other apps are wrong too, if you want to watch HDR, buy a HDR monitor/TV instead of down converting everything to SDR with a random algorithm.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
QuickTime doesn't convert from HDR to SDR, you colors in QuickTime are not the one intended, they are simply wrong. Colors in other apps are wrong too, if you want to watch HDR, buy a HDR monitor/TV instead of down converting everything to SDR with a random algorithm.

I have a 10bit HDR monitor

But thanks for the info about convert HDR to SDR. That explained the colour difference.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
I have a 10bit HDR monitor

But thanks for the info about convert HDR to SDR. That explained the colour difference.

That's good, but neither QuickTime Player, mpv or IINA can output HDR on macOS right now (from what I remember, one way to check is to playback the click on a HDR TV set, and see how the colors compare to the Mac)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
That's good, but neither QuickTime Player, mpv or IINA can output HDR on macOS right now (from what I remember, one way to check is to playback the click on a HDR TV set, and see how the colors compare to the Mac)

I may boot to Windows and check that later. Even I can't compare the video side by side (Windows vs macOS). But the difference should be very obvious (otherwise we don't need 10 bit or HDR from the very beginning :D)
[doublepost=1538645388][/doublepost]
I may boot to Windows and check that later. Even I can't compare the video side by side (Windows vs macOS). But the difference should be very obvious (otherwise we don't need 10 bit or HDR from the very beginning :D)

Just did the test, the colour in QuickTime Player actually looks correct (if compare to the Windows Media Player Classic)

Reactions: orph

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
[doublepost=1538645388][/doublepost]

Just did the test, the colour in QuickTime Player actually looks correct (if compare to the Windows Media Player Classic)

Windows Media Player Classic doesn't support HDR output, neither HDR to SDR conversion if you don't install some other plugins.
It would be easier to try on an actual TV.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Windows Media Player Classic doesn't support HDR output, neither HDR to SDR conversion if you don't install some other plugins.
It would be easier to try on an actual TV.

Will check that later.

May be I need to update my MadVR and Lav Filters

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Don’t have to manually activate HDR mode for HDR videos or games in Windows now. The October update automatically applies correct color profiles to the desktop and HDR contents.

Windows dark mode is such a mess. They can’t decide to make it jet black or gray.

Viewing videos and big image files much faster than Mojave though.

Reactions: h9826790

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Tested, and not fixed. They do make some changes indeed. We were able to play those high demand HEVC video at least once. But now, not even once on the latest beta.

So, my suggestion is do NOT rush to install the 10.14.1.

Anyway, Apple closed my bug report, and suggested me to raise another one. Because the issue is now “changed”

Updated to 10.14.1b3 yesterday...same issue. High CPU usage, from around 300% to 600%, depending on video. Also, GPU usage (in Activity Monitor) spikes to near maximum, which is more than when it is actually using the GPU to decode.

I updated my report in Feedback Asst to show that it won't even hardware decode on the first try now.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Updated to 10.14.1b3 yesterday...same issue. High CPU usage, from around 300% to 600%, depending on video. Also, GPU usage (in Activity Monitor) spikes to near maximum, which is more than when it is actually using the GPU to decode.

I updated my report in Feedback Asst to show that it won't even hardware decode on the first try now.

Please make sure you report that via bugreport.apple.com as well. That's the only method I get Apple engineer's reply so far.

Reactions: crjackson2134

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
macOS + SDK -> Graphics & Imaging

LOL...oops, I went ahead and did macOS + SDK > QuickTime. I guess if they don't like it, they can relocate. But it IS in QuickTime Player, so should still apply. FWIW, I also submitted a "Suggestion" requesting H.264 decode/encode acceleration as well (just as I did in Feedback Asst).

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Welllll....this sucks pretty hard:

HEVC RX 580 hardware decode no longer working
Created on October 9 2018, 11:46 AM for macOS + SDK | QuickTime

Apple Developer Relations

October 18 2018, 9:42 AM

Engineering has provided the following information regarding this issue: Thank you for the feedback. Please know we are not planning on enabling hardware support on this platform.

Got the same response for my other feature request feedback:

H.264 AVC hardware encode & decode with Radeon RX 580
Created on October 9 2018, 11:50 AM for macOS + SDK | QuickTime

Wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't already *had* HEVC decode working in 10.14.0. Oh, and Windows. Boo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.