He dropped it. =(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CarboysDesire, Aug 25, 2010.

1. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I know this will be nothing more than a "cool story, bro" thread to most, but dammit, I need to vent.

I still love and cherish my original 2G iPhone, and it was hard to part with it when I upgraded to the 3GS last year. I kept it pristine and in its original box until 3 months ago when I gave it to my husband who expressed interest in getting an iPhone. At the time the 4's were not out yet and I said it made no sense to buy a 3GS when the 4's were imminent. I suggested he use my original until the 4s came out. Worse decision ever.

The 4s came out and life is busy so we hadn't gotten around to getting a 4 yet.

He broke it. Yesterday, he arrived home at 7 pm from the gym and was talking and unloading his bag at the same time when I heard a smack onto the tile floor. I knew instantly what it was.

"Did you just break my phone?"

"Dammit...I broke it. And I was doing so well too."

Yeah, so well. I didn't drop it in the two years I had it and he drops it after three months, shattering the glass, and he thinks he was doing well.

I've called around. I can get it fixed locally in 15 minutes, for $120. The guy on the phone said the original's parts are getting scarce because it's obsolete.

Does this sound right?

Should I fix it?

I love that iPhone so much I may take it back and give my husband my 3GS to break. For some reason, it means nothing to me.

2. mrathee macrumors 6502

I wouldn't fix it - if you shop around you can get a 3g (and maybe even 3gs) for that price point.

But since it means something to you, if you have the money lying around, who cares if it gets spent?

3. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I was dating a girl once, I said "Drop it and I drop you." That's my mantra. ;)

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Maybe not "cool story, bro," but how about "let it go," It's an old phone. You've replaced it with a better, faster phone. Why dwell in the past?

5. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but I wouldn't spend more than $20 to fix a 1st Gen iPhone

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Accidents happen.

It's as simple as that.

Haven't you ever broken something by accident?

7. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

My brain is telling me exactly this, but my heart says to pay up and fix it.

Actually, HE should pay up and fix it, or at the very least say he's sorry he dropped it, which he didn't do. :mad:

It's my fault for trusting him with it, I know. :(

It's the silliest thing that a phone I haven't used in over a year is giving me grief. Perhaps in time I'll learn to accept it, thanks. It's as if someone died or something, LOL.

8. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh boy!

This is not good....for the iPhone or him! You're angry as you should be. Maybe you can find him a brick phone next!

9. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

The design. The laughs. The cries. The original iPhone. :)

10. billycuth macrumors 6502a

That's too bad. Sorry for your iphone loss. Good luck in getting it fixed!

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I believe you can get the glass and instructions on Ebay for 20 bucks. Digitizer and Glass for about 40.

12. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Thank you!

Does anyone know of a place I can send it that would cost less than $120?

WHOOPS, missed that post just above.

THANK YOU, TOO!

I'll check it out.

13. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Trusted seller, 10 bucks.
    http://bit.ly/9mDEic

iPhone 3g (2nd Gen) Digitizer and front panel.

Is the LCD screen messed up too?

14. 184550 Guest

Your username isn't doing you any favors in this situation with vague references to your 'husband'.

I read your username as Car/Boys/Desire.

What do a majority of people think of when they read that? I immediately thought a girl in jean cut offs waving a checkered flag.

The assumption, wrong as it is, is typical unless you provide further explanation. :)

15. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

No, the LCD is fine. Thanks.

I just watched a video on YouTube of some guy fixing broken glass with no prior experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsFTlVTSeIA&feature=fvw

He says it's easy, but to me it looks HARD!!!

16. Marlon177 macrumors member

sorry for ur lost, but its not really that hard, but just remember to be very careful with the home button cable connector, i broke mine when i was replacing the screen for my 3gs.

17. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Sucks about your iPhone. I wish I had the original just to have it. I wanted it, but didn't feel like going on my own plan at the time (was on Verizon), so I didn't join until the 3G. Original iPhones were sexy.

18. jobsfnby macrumors regular

That link is great for the 3G and 3GS but the original iPhone is a lot different on the internals.

I'd like to find a place to get mine fixed as well. Does anyone know if there's a place to get the glass replaced along with the aluminum and black backing?

19. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Original iPhones are sexy. :D

20. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Little did I know, but fixing iPhones is a huge business!!! I just talked to a guy that is opening his 4th shop in town, and the first opened 3 months ago! They are THAT busy. And there are tons of local competitors too. I live in Las Vegas. Craigslist is FULL OF THEM. So far I can't find anyone that will do it for less than $100, but he works in a clothing alterations shop and that just sounds weird to me. I have a call into another guy that is mobile, meaning he will come to me, and he's advertising $50!!! The guy with the four stores will also charge $50 but for the 3G/3GS. For the original he wants $120. I am hoping the mobile guy can do it for around $75. I'll gladly pay that.

21. CarboysDesire thread starter macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I really wasn't expecting all the helpful replies so thanks to everyone for those. I mostly wanted to vent, but there's been some good help here. I'll let you know how it turns out. It's funny that this 3 year old phone has warranted this much discussion.

22. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I watched that video once and remembered everything. The next day my kit came to the office and I replaced it right there using the information in my head.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

"I can be reworked, but I'll never be top of the line again. I'd rather be nothing."
    - Bishop 341-B, Alien3

I wouldn't fix it. I mean, it's had a good run, served you well, served your husband well, and died in the line of duty. What more could a good phone ask for?

Sure, it can still be fixed, but it won't run the latest software, doesn't even use 3G, and will only fall further and further behind. If it was in mint condition, I'd say hang on to it and sell it later a vintage collector's item, but the fact that it's been damaged even affects its value in that regard.

I say give it a good send off, and move on.

24. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I would normally say that you're in luck because my original iPhone is still in excellent condition and I would part with it as my [replacement] iPhone 4 just shipped off the factory line and should be in my possession by early next week. However, like you, I love my original iPhone too much to let it go as it still works great and it's an awesome travel/backup phone to have. And when my iPhone 4 arrives and assuming that it's in perfect working order unlike the first one I bought, I'll be giving my mom my original iPhone. Good luck in your search for one and/or finding the parts for repairing it.

25. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

On ebay lcds are like 50$ i looked them up tonight for the 2G for someone else..