He dropped my iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by austinkays, Aug 3, 2008.

1. austinkays macrumors newbie

Uuuugh, almost made it a full month with my iPhone 3G, going caseless right now since my Naked Case by Case-mate hasn't even shipped yet.

My friend begs me all day to see my phone, and I finally let him. Of course, the first app he sees is the Phonesaber, and he begins swinging it around like a madman. Oh...great.

A few seconds later, VOOOSH. Oh. My. God. He just chucked my freaking phone. The worst part, he just LAUGHS and says "I DROPPED YOUR PHONE!!!"

Son of a.........

Anyways, the entire bottom of the phone is scuffed, from the chrome which is not shiny anymore to the chips in the speaker ports. It held up fairly well, everything works, but it isn't pristine how I have kept it prior...

Now I was wondering if there was ANY warranty or way I could find myself either a new phone or get this one cosmetically fixed. If my phone is "leaking light" or whatever everyone seems to be returning their phones for, would mine be void because it has markings of a drop? Any thoughts please. Thanks a ton guys!

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

well its still not been a month, so go return it and start a new 2yr contract!

3. yode macrumors 6502

You can't return it if you wrecked it, it has to be in like new ish condition. Also, I don't think the light leak or any other defect will be in your favor, as physical damage will be grounds for whatever defect you actually DO have if you do have any.

4. atluten macrumors 6502

My take is that if he is responsible for the damage, he should at least be responsible for covering some of the cost, assuming you end up having to pay. Good luck.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

6. MasonMI macrumors regular

He basically owes you a new iphone i would make him pay the cost or repair costs to get the scuffs removed if thats possible, its really his lack of regard for not holding onto your phone while shaking it around.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

He LAUGHED?!

Off with his head.

But seriously, I would be seriously pissed if someone dropped my phone (or other expensive electronic device), and if I dropped someone else's gadget, I would be extremely apologetic. That's just not cool.

8. cambridge1807 macrumors member

I would have to blame your friend on this and have him pay for the fixes or whatever. BUT I would highly advise you from going back to the Apple store and asking for a replacement. First, it's a little unethical since like you said, your iPhone 3G was "pristine" until your friend dropped it. So it is not Apple's fault your friend was careless with your phone that you are deemed a replacement. Don't try to make excuses just so you can have a brand new one, because it will be honest customers that get screwed in the end. Either get it fixed and have your friend pay for damages or shake it off and pretend it was never there since you are waiting for your case to arrive.

One more thing, DON'T ASK FOR AN EXCHANGE AT THE APPLE STORE.

9. stekerrod macrumors regular

nah i think he deserves a special slow painful death instead, a quick head chopping just wouldnt do it i think!

and i was seriously annoyed with my girlfriend when she sent my iPhone 1G crashing to the tarmac!

10. kis macrumors 65816

There's no warranty but chances are your friend has a liability package (probably as part of his home insurance) - it's your friend's insurance who has to pay as he dropped it.

At least here in Switzerland this wouldn't be much of an issue - everyone has liability insurance. There's a 200$ deductible but that's not your problem but your friend's.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Most likely he just doesn't realize how fragile Apple stuff is.

People are used to treating cell phones like..... Phones.

I was driving my truck through city driving and had to make a rather sharp turn with a rather large truck to clear the lane. Since it's not my primary vehicle, I hadn't really considered it's slick dashboard.

So, my phone was on the dash in the little recessed area.

Well, sharp turn at low speed, and the phone flew across the dashboard, Slammed into the side moulding, bounced, slammed into the passenger side window, and then slammed onto the hard floor (no carpet) and bounced a bit.

I didn't bother stopping and messing with it until I got where I was going. So, it sat where it eventually landed against the truck's door until I got to my destination.

I picked it up, and it had only the most minor scratch (and I am a perfectionist, so if I could live with it, then it's extremely minor and someone else wouldn't even see it).

But, it wasn't an iPhone. So, of course it survived.

It gets hauled around in my front pocket every day. It gets stomped on by my baby, it gets slammed into by my toddler. It gets bumped and hit by everything I cary around.

And, you know what? It still works. And, to anyone else, it would still look like new.

So, if he was insensitive, it's probably because he didn't actually think it was damaged.

If I wasn't familiar with Apple's products (and it doesn't sound like he was), then I would assume it was as solid as any other cell phone.

But, since I know Apple's focus is more on shiny than durable, I know you have to have a case for anything with an Apple logo (unless you don't mind scratches).

Honestly, before buying Apple stuff, I never even entertained the idea of buying a protective case for anything. But, then nothing else I've ever owned was so fragile either.

If you want him to cover the damages to the phone, the time to have addressed it was right that minute. The time has passed now.

You should have immediately picked up the phone, and showed him the consequences of what had just happened. Then, informed him that they are expensive and you expect him to pay for the replacement.

Of course, if he didn't agree, then you'd be out a friend (so what) and might have to take him to small claims.

In the end, I think you'll just have to consider it a lesson learned.

You can pick your lesson:

1) don't buy Apple products because they are fragile

2) if you have an Apple product, put a protective shell on it

3) Don't let friends or anyone handle your Apple products because they can't appreciate how delicate they are.

12. someguy7014 macrumors member

Are you for real?

13. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Sorry, but if I just paid $300+ for anything electronic, and a friend dropped it and laughed, I'd be pissed.

Then again, my friends wouldn't do that.

14. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Too true. Me and a few of my friends used to have the Razr (a few still do) and I can't count how many times they've been dropped and are still in great condition. One of my friends constantly drops his on our wood floor at our house and on the tile floor in the dorms and aside from the batter cover falling off some of the times nothing messed up with it.

Another friend has a cheap Nokia phone and you can throw it at a wall across the room and it'll be fine.

Now with the iPhone... I doubt it would survive one fall to cement and I really don't want to find out the hard way. Though I wouldn't say that all Apple products are fragile... the iPhone is one thing that certainly is because it wasn't really built to be handled un-carelessly. Just to be safe with it I bought a hard case for it for when I go to school football/basketball games (never know when you gotta rush the field/court) and for parties/bars because the last thing you want is to drop your phone while drunk or because you don't know what you'll be doing at parties and you don't want to risk crushing your iPhone somehow (I could think of a few ways this could happen).

As for on topic with the OP... I could actually see some of my friends laughing about doing something like that, but also feeling bad about it at the same time. Most of them though wouldn't want to swing it around though, nor would I let them.

Of course it's not that hard to hold onto it. Is he by any chance one of those people who ended up having a Wiimote go through his TV?

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Wow, your friend sounds like a jerk, especially for his comment after dropping it.

16. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Sorry I don't have any advice for you... but I'm sorry this happened to you.

Everyone wants to see my iPhone all the time. I get so skiddish just giving it to them, just because of the way they hold it, and play with it. It makes me even more nervous when I have it naked.

I just feel this way because I want my $400 piece of equipment to last and look good. :)

17. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

18. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

I dropped hubbys new phone (not an iphone) a few weeks ago. It slid off my lap when getting out of the car. You wouldn't believe the damage. Managed to scratch/scuff all 4 sides. Phone still works fine though he is still pee'd off about it as he can only find a replaceable back case, they don't do them for the front.
    He now keeps threatening to drop mine! :mad: ;)

Told him it serves him right for having a winmo phone!

Edit: dropped my old phone, SE W880i, a few times. Not a single mark on it.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If he has a car with a sunroof, the revenge possibilities are endless -- especially if he tends to leave it cracked open.

Using the sunroof as a toilet always works ... especially if you eat some food that gives you the heaves after a drinking binge, oops sorry. ;)

20. markgamber macrumors 6502

I'm assuming he's not your FRIEND anymore. Look up the word "douchebag" in the dictionary...bet his picture is there. :D

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Actually, it survives more than one fall and there is an easy way to find out (let someone else do it). :)

http://mobilitytoday.com/news/008683/iphone_3g_stress_test

22. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Haha. So much for posting. I got out of my car at Walmart and my iPhone slipped out of my pocket naked. Now it is scratched and nicked all over. :(

23. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Your friend dropped it.

Your friend needs to pay for the fix.

Apple is completely out of the loop on this.

Of course, why you let your friend who seems like a 16 year flake hold your iphone is a whole other matter.

24. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Make your friend buy a new one and give it to you, then he can have the dinged-up one.