Heading to London with my iPhone...what should I know?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by munckee, May 27, 2009.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

I'm leaving in the morning for London/UK countryside on business. Will be traveling with my iPhone. I can either turn everything off and rely on wifi only (and not have a phone while I'm there), or I guess I can call ATT and have them turn on international roam for a week... :confused:

Can anyone fill me in on what I should expect if I choose to do that, what it covers, etc?

Alternatively, can I get a prepaid sim over there and use it for phone and have phone/wifi only (no data)?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you unlock you can use a prepaid SIM and avoid raping roaming charges.

Also, if you use data or minutes abroad on AT&T expect a quite high bill.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

If you think/know you'll have access to wi-fi, you should consider installing Skype and buying some Skype credit. Then you could run your phone on wi-fi only and have phone function via VOIP, with no worries about ATT roaming charges.

As I recall, if you do this you'll be able to make outgoing calls no problem, but no incoming calls unless you also buy 'SkypeIn', which gives you a phone number that other people can call to reach your Skype app, and that only works if you have Skype running on your phone at the time they call. Not a perfect solution, but an alternative.

More info here.

4. pauliphone macrumors regular

most of london is covered by btopenzone wifi, so you could just buy a weeks subscription to them and use skype as mentioned above. www.btopenzone.com

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Havent roaming charges just been slashed in Europe? Not sure how that equates back to US.

Anyhoo I live in UK and went to France for 3 weeks and while receiving a few calls, sending a few messages and doing a bit of surfing it only cost me an extra £5. I made sure Data roaming was off unless I specifically wanted to surf the net. I made a point of not checking for email however coz if some numpty sends you a massive email, you will end up paying for the data.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think that's only between EU carriers. Americans (or anyone else) will still get screwed.

7. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Yeah just use BT Open zone and you should be pretty sorted for internet access. If you are running 3.0 it should pass through your login details also so no need to open a web page and login all the time :)

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

9. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Technically, it's bathrooms that are called loos. Or Toilets. lol. Americans don't call them toilets iirc.

10. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Rain and warm beer! ;)

11. tommy8884 macrumors member

Can you not just put an O2 sim in and it will work?

12. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Not if it's locked to AT&T, just like you can't just put a Vodafone SIM in one in the UK

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You're right; I should have said bathrooms. I've been in the States for too long! :D

14. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Get either Skype or Truphone for your international calls. Either increase your international plan to cover a lot of use or keep the iPhone in airplane mode.

15. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Remember to take your eyes off your iPhone and Look Right when crossing the road!