Headphone solution. Dual Lightning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MorphMan, Sep 3, 2016.

1. MorphMan macrumors member

Why not put two sockets on the bottom? They're not very wide and neither are the official connectors.

Then we could charge & use headphones.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

3. MorphMan thread starter macrumors member

Lightning is thinner? You get to remove the DAC. It shouldn't be hard to create a lightning control chip that does 2 instead of one. And it's the first step along a road to wireless audio. It means they only have to figure out how to waterproof lightning instead of that and 3.5mm.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Speakers still need the dac. And as of right now the thickness i of 3.5mm port isn't the limiting factor. The iPod touch and nanos are much thinner than current iPhones.

5. MorphMan thread starter macrumors member

It's one more step to trapping people in the Apple ecosystem? :)

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The point is to move towards fewer ports, not more.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

A much better solution would be to just sell/include a Lightning cable with an extra Lightning port to plug your headphones into it while you charge your phone.

8. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

i dont want any extra cables and plugs to carry with... neither want to add any plug between the phone and 3.5mm to stick out and get broken.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple isn't about adding ports but removing them, I see no justification to add a second lightening port, especially when they removed the headphone jack. Instead of trying to make the phone paper thing, keep the headphone jack

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Of course it has nothing whatsoever to do with making the phone thinner.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It has everything to do with making it thinner, that's one of the reasons why they're removing it

12. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Apple told you that? Or you're looking at the same rumors all the rest of us are, and then drawing your own conclusions?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its my opinion

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Who said anything about an extra cable or plug? I said have an extra Lightning port in the cable you're already using to charge your phone like this:

image.jpeg

15. marty1980 macrumors 6502

What if they went all out crazy, switched to USB-C and put 2 of those ports on the iPhone!? :D

16. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why stop at 2?

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If they did go USB c (just one is fine lol) I would upgrade this year in principle. I'd give my money to Apple this year in support of an industry standard.

18. Appleaker macrumors 68000

If you do that then there would be no point in removing the headphone jack. Yes it is thinner, but they want everybody to move to wireless. The only reason they don't include wireless in the box is because of the cost.

Also, it would remove the symmetry that Apple love.
    But I think the main impact would be the confusion to consumers.

One way they could do it is by having one port on each side but that would be more fitting for a possible future model with no preferred portrait orientation.

19. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

From what I have read, the extra space will be used for another haptic engine to improve the force touch experience. Seems the phone will be sharing the same dimensions as the current iPhone 6S and so would be any thinner.

20. Channan, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Sure there would be. There are a few reasons for removing the port including freeing up space in the phone, proprietary headphones (good for Apple), etc.

And symmetry is important but not necessary for Apple. There are several instances on the iPhone where there's no symmetry.

21. mlody macrumors 6502a

My only gripe with the lack of 3.5 mm headphone jack is the fact that it will create a dual standard among apple products: possibly lighting port on iOS devices and still 3.5 mm jack on all macs. Since no single mac computer has lighting port, and I doubt that Apple plans to equip any mac with lighting port anytime soon, I think it would be wise for Apple to just switch all iOS devices to USB Type-C and use that port as the headphone port. Another possibility it would be to create a dual port - USB-C/lighting on all macs. This would allow all lighting headphones to work on their computers too. Please apple keep things simple.

Also, if apple has plans to offer wireless or could make the iPhone 7 charge to full in 45 minutes and 7+ in like 60-65 minutes, I think dual port would be completely not needed.

Right now it takes over 3 hours to fully charge 6s+ so if they keep it that way, it will definitely piss off a lot of people who were able to previously charge and use headphones at the same time.

22. NY Guitarist, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Apple wants to sell you their new Beats wireless headphones, that's why...

23. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I assume it was just easier for apple to make the phone waterproof water resistant without the 3.5mm pin

24. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

Samsung was able to make the S7 water resistant with the headphone jack so it is possible even if it is harder. I think it's that they want more control of what accessories you can use with the iPhone.

25. Appleaker macrumors 68000

The space saved would be very minimal if another lightning port was added, however space would be saved. While Apples designs aren't always symmetrical, they certainly would prefer a symmetrical design.