Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you hear that pop/static-y fuzz crackle thingy?

• Nah mate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KeplersLaws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
Have been using a new MBP 13" 2015 for a few days now, absolute joyride, but there's one minor issue.
Whenever a pair of head/earphones is plugged into the audio jack, and before/after a sound is played, a static-like, fuzzy, 'crackle' or 'pop' is heard on the earphones.

After reading some other forums (some dating to like 2006), I've been lead to believe this is a sound card issue - when it turns on it instantly gives a pop sound (but plays the required sound as normal), and after about half a minute after the sound has stopped, it will create another 'pop', possibly meaning the sound card is turning off to save battery. So this appears software-sided. Have tried multiple earphones.

This is immensely annoying when having the earphones plugged in but not listening to music, as any sound will trigger the two pops. for example a simple email notification ding will trigger the pre-sound pop and the 40-second-later-pop. This also happens when enabling the setting which emits a sound when adjusting the volume (as this is still classed as playing a sound).

At the moment I'm trying to reach consensus on whether this is an issue with my Mac in particular or if this is an issue with everyone else too. Can everyone perhaps try, on earphones, playing then pausing a video then waiting like 40 seconds for a fuzzy pop? Note: quite environment needed

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
yep, its real. so annoying that i even wrote an app that sits on my menubar to prevent that (at the expense of some battery I presume).

Reactions: KeplersLaws

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Didn't feel really annoying but it does exist. On MacBook Air 11", Mac OS X Sierra.

KeplersLaws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
So i took it to a Genius Bar today and he said it may just be natural. Tested it on his mba and gets it too.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
natural... hehe. well some of my speakers pop more than others. theres a way to prevent it if it annoys you too much

KeplersLaws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2016
natural... hehe. well some of my speakers pop more than others. theres a way to prevent it if it annoys you too much
Antipop? Good codelet. But for some reason it made my speakers pop during playback too, or that might just be placebo... Also concerned about batt life when not plugged into AC

Alekseyua

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
UA
Got this on my new MacBook Air 13 Early 2015, A1466. Pop after 10-12 sec, after all sounds in system. Mac OS X Sierra doesn't help. Currently I use favorite El Capitan.

------------------------------------------------------------

So annoying for me, because I always work in headphones. Seems like this is a silly bug from Apple. Why they do not to implement a hardware mute audio system before the sound card going to off. Everyone expect from apple excellent performance.

Every time when I get some apple products there is a some minor thing, which destroy the magic at all. For other hand I don't like insert the stick into the drain to solve apple problems. I have only one question: Is it possible to get products for life? I paid, I will pay.

In 2010 I bought iMac and got issue with high frequency noise like a mosquito squeak from voltage inverters from inductors, when you set display brightness a bit lower then max. I remeber how many hours was spent to prove it in the store. In the end, I live with this until now!

I called to our service today (not US). They are willing to accept mac on the diagnostic service. But damn, a new machine...

Oh again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.