Headphones and Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by beachmusic, Oct 28, 2015.

1. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

My wife is complaining that I turn the Apple TV up to loud. So I'm looking for a way to use headphones with the ATV. Sure could use some suggestions. I do have a spare Airport Express laying around if that could be used in some way.

2. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I believe you can connect bluetooth headphones to the new Apple TV

3. CaptTCS, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

Yes. They are even selling a pair of "Beats" Bluetooth headphones in the Apple TV "Accessories" page on the store.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This is great. I often just prefer headphones b.c the immersive experience (I am lame haha).

5. beachmusic, Oct 28, 2015

beachmusic thread starter macrumors regular

beachmusic

Sweet... thanks guys.
    I checked the Apple Tv Ass. page and even though it does show a picture it doesn't specifically mention Apple tv in the blurb for the headphones.

Anyone who has the new Apple Tv can you confirm that bluetooth headphones work with this box?

6. protobiont, Oct 28, 2015

protobiont macrumors 6502a

Can anyone recommend a good pair that a) don't cost $300, and b) still sound pretty decent for watching movies or TV?

Edit: I went ahead and ordered these from Amazon. Reviews are good and the price was bearable.

7. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

It would be cool if Apple updated the iOS remote app so you could plug headphones into your iPhone and get audio from your ATV

8. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

Uuuhhh... Call me silly... But I would assume that [if they are selling it as an "Apple TV Accessory"], that it is actually an Apple TV Accessory.

9. beachmusic thread starter macrumors regular

beachmusic

With Apple I don't assume.

10. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

Either way.. It DOES say that it is compatible with this new Apple TV. Because TVOS is based on iOS, I would think that any Bluetooth Headphones that are <at least> "MFi" would work on the new ATV.

11. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Never buy Apple's headphones (Beats) to use with anything that has video. They're notoriously awful due to lag. They've known about the problem for years and have done nothing to fix it. I'd recommend waiting until this comes out and see what people's experience with other headphones are like.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree. Bluetooth headphones due to their nature inherently often have lag where the video the sound is not synced.

13. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    OR, if you already own headphones, you should be able to connect them to your receiver (if you have one) or maybe even your television. The Bluetooth option can be elegant because it's a wireless option but if you already have good headphones, there's more than one way to accomplish the same net result. There seems to be lots of variations of this kind of device: http://androidforums.com/threads/re...less-headphone-adapter-w-lots-of-pics.956303/ that would let you use headphones you might already own. Do some searches and maybe save some money.

If you don't mind a wired solution, just buy yourself a long headphone extension cable and run it from your headphone out port on your receiver or maybe TV around and under furniture to get it to where you generally like to sit. Use it when she's unhappy and tuck it under the furniture when more than one wants to watch TV at the same time. That will be the cheapest way to go while probably delivering the best quality signal with no lag.

14. jazz1, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I was checking out he Bose Bluetooth headphones on Amazon, and a posting in reviews Q&A from the "manufacturer" states there could be a lag when used with t.v. Don't don't know if the new Apple TV would not induce sound lag. If it did this would drive me crazy ;)

15. campyguy macrumors 68030

16. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

17. campyguy macrumors 68030

None whatsoever, very happy with them and I think my neighbors are too, but they can't hear what I'm listening to and I can't hear them when they're on! ;) They're not great for music, but still admirable - I have some corded Grado and Beyer cans for tunes, and I'd buy those Sony cans today again.

A tip, don't buy them from the US Sony site - they're way more expensive and, I believe, the US version is limited to one paired pair of headphones. The Japanese imports do have several languages available and there are several language versions of the manual as well; the importers on Amazon's site that are covered under Prime have been very reliable so there's no fear there. The higher-priced units include the decoder and one pair of cans, the lower-priced units include just the headphones.

18. mzo macrumors newbie

mzo

Hello, can you listen through the headphones without muting the TV speakers? I like to use the headphone for louder volume, but people next to me have still to hear the program through the TV speakers. Is this possible? I'm asking because many TVs and AV receivers automatically mute speakers when headphones are connected.

19. Zune55 macrumors 6502

Beats studio wireless works like a charm. 0 lag.

20. Zune55 macrumors 6502

With beats studio wireless I am able to mute tv volume no sound from tv. Volume rocker on atv remote you can up/down the headphones volume.

21. Marshall73, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

My beats studio 2.0 work fine with the Apple TV with no lag, same as my iPad watching video. On my setup, where the Apple TV is hooked up to a CEC amp and TV, when using them all audio from the Apple TV is sent to them and you can control volume and playback directly from the headset or remote. When switching volume levels you get a little on screen volume bar for the headphones in the top right of the screen.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just bought the new Apple TV, paired my Bose wireless headphones to it, works perfectly with no lags.

23. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

From what I see, when you use BT headphones with the ATV4, the speaker output is muted and that's it.

Obviously if you connect headphones to other outputs (receivers, TV), it's a different story. I have a headphone adapter connected to the audio out on my TV and others can listen or not (mute TV).

Using the built in ATV4 functionality, I believe there's only one option: headphones or speaker.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree, that's what happens when I attach Bluetooth headphones to atv4.