Resolved Headphones don't fit in my 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NameUndecided, Sep 25, 2014.

1. NameUndecided, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

This is a little bit funny. I'm open to the idea that I'm doing something stupidly wrong, but...?

I received my iPhone 6 yesterday. I'm just now trying to put headphones into the jack for the first time. They'll go in 3/4ths of the way and won't click in.

White earbuds/pods/the newer kind from Apple.

I really do not want to force them in any harder. I look into the jack and see no obstructions.

I just wanted to ask here first if this is, um, at all heard of? And to lightly vent and ask "*****?"

Thanks.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

3. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

4. Cojm macrumors member

Just shove it in, the jacks can be very right from the factory and just need their cherry popped.

5. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bought through Verizon. But I imagine the Apple Store wouldn't hold a bias on that?

I... can't be bothered to take pics of a headphone jack not inserted all the way. ;)
    Believe me when I say there's nothing trapped in the jack/port.

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well the Apple headphones should fit perfectly. I thought that you were going to refer to a 3rd party headphone. Some of those have issues with fit.

I never force anything into the headphone jack(or computer port, etc) that does not work with limited force.

I would go to the store and let a Genius look into the Headphone jack and determine if there is an issue.

I assume your Apple headphone jack is not bent, correct?

7. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's so stubborn that I'm concerned about causing direct damage. Guess I should man up about it? This is bringing back some odd memories.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

He probably had the headphone jack in his pocket.

:D

9. Cojm macrumors member

Seriously Man up about it, if I was there with you Id take your phone and do it for ya, trust me, it will work, and it won't break.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

LOL! Seriously though, if you are worried about damaging, don't force it. Do you have another set you can try? If they work, something wrong with first set. If they don't, something wrong with phone.

11. Batman89 macrumors 6502

As another poster mentioned, you need to pop the cherry :D

Give it a nice little push. My brother had the same issue but with a little push it went in just fine.

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Mine was like that too. Just shove it in there already or hand in your man card. ;)

13. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Try different headphones before jamming those ones in.

14. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everything looks perfectly fine. Port and jack. I use them on my iPod Classic all the time. I'll have to check with more variations of headphones and all a bit later.

15. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ooohmygosh that's nuts. It took a different type of headphones (same size jack, obviously) to snap them in and 'break that cherry'.

The snap-in came *much* easier, albeit with just a slightly-unusual bit of force, with some Koss headphones, and now the white Apple ones go in much, much, easier now. They are a little bit tighter than the Koss jack, but at least they're clicking in now.

(And yes, of course the Koss headphones sound better than EarPods, but they're not so pocketable.)

It could have been one of those things where it was softened up just enough by the time I tried different headphones (like when someone easily opens a jar after it's been struggled with by someone else), but that initial *snap* came so much more naturally with the not-earpods.

I still say it genuinely felt detrimental to the phone to keep pressing the white earphones in while they kept trying to bounce back. But the barrier's been broken now. The headphones are happy. The iPhone is happy. Everyone is glowing and chipper.

Thank you all for your help and… encouragement. ;)