Headphones for running

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by REBELinBLUE, Jul 10, 2009.

1. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

Can anyone recommend any earphones suitable for running with inline controls?

I have the Apple in-ear earphones but unfortunately the remote doesn't tend to like sweat, killed a pair after only a few weeks (looking at the Apple forum the same is true of the iPhone 3GS and Shuffle 3G earphones).

I'd love a bluetooth pair (the S9-HD mentioned in this forum seem good, but I can't find anywhere in the UK with them), but until Apple implement AVRCP Category 3 for skipping I don't see much point getting them, since I use that functionality a fair amount

2. aveda6 macrumors newbie

I would recommend the jaybird jb200i headphones. they work very well and are resistant to the sweat that occurs when running. I picked up a pair at target for my fiance and so far they have been working well.

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I just got the motorola s9-hd, its a little tight around the head (probably because I have a big head)... so, if you also have a big head, I would avoid it as it sort of "pinches" the temples. I'm going to be trying out the sony ericsson hbh-is800 next.

4. iDeclare macrumors member

iDeclare

Best headphones for running- PERIOD

I bought the "Sennheiser MX75 Twist-To-Fit In-Ear" ($27 from Amazon) and they're AMAZING. They are lightweight, moisture-proof, never move within the ear, and have multiple attachments to get the perfect fit. I've been through many different headphones for running and these are by far the best- no complaints whatsoever.

5. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

This is slightly off topic, but where do people put there iPhone when running? I put mine in my trouser pocket, but it gets quite hot there (!) and I'm worried about sweat getting into the headphone socket and the phone shutting down because it thinks its been dropped in water.

I can't run to music, so the headphone socket is exposed.

6. Love Juice macrumors regular

just got the s9-hd as well. so good so far, but i have an order in for the altec lansing backbeat 903's. they've been getting great reviews. i'll compare the two and give you my $.02 :)

7. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

I went for the S9-HD in the end, just won one on eBay.

Fingers crossed Apple add AVRCP category 3 soon.

@Xorro I have mine on my left arm when running, that way I can see the Nike+ app.

8. Vidder macrumors regular

Vidder

if you don't run to music...then why are you carrying your phone with you on your runs to begin with? Not sure about you but i'm not stopping to answer a call/text when i'm working out. That should be your time away from everything.

- So, to answer you question, "where do you put it?" ...leave it at home.

9. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

if you exercise and work a job where your "on call", leaving it at home is not a viable option.

im in this same predicament. Ive been holding mine while running outdoors but its risky.

10. Vidder macrumors regular

Vidder

i see. Carry a small camelbak. That's where I put mine when i'm riding my bike. You'll also have some water. I'd recommend not getting a big one if you're running with it because that could get annoying bouncing on your back. Would be a better work out as well.

or:

don't they make armbands for it?

11. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

the best thing i can think of is a sealed case arm band with blue tooth headphones....

id love to get a set up like that.

12. Vidder macrumors regular

Vidder

yeah. i'm looking for a blue tooth set myself. Hence my being on this thread. I'm looking to set it up for my bike though.

Just ordered this:
    http://www.ibikepak.com/Home_Page.php

I have this app to track my route:
    http://gps.motionx.com/overview/

And now i'm looking for the headset. Can't wait!

I think these are the smallest size CambelBak's:
    http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/annadel.aspx

13. acgeorge macrumors newbie

I use an armband (best buy, ~$20) for my 3GS and the Altec Lansing Back Beat bluetooth headset for running. Both work very well, some minor skipping and lost the voiceover from Nike+ but overall I like the setup. Lightweight and sweat resistant.

14. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

@vidder

I use the imapmyrun app to log my run, plus as B737 says I am also on call some weeks.

15. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I have my 3GS in an invisibleshield. For the gym and running, I put it in a RocketFish armband (it's great and has a cutout for the screen). I got the case on sale from Best Buy Mobile for $9.99 but I think it can be had on Amazon too. And I use the Altec Lansing BackBeat 903s as well...good sound quality, nice and light, and the battery lasts forever. They can be found at Apple Stores for $99.

16. Vidder macrumors regular

Vidder

17. lfine39 macrumors member

Tried alot of bt headsets Altec Lansing BackBeat 903s are by far the best

18. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

great thread

im gonna try out the blackbeats but im stuck on the arm bands now. Id like one thats ultra low profile. and using bluetooth headsets, it would be great if the phone was completly sealed off.

all of the low profile arm bands i see have holes in them. I sweat, get caught in the rain the list of hazards go on.

I wouldnt object to putting the phone in the aqua-pac (great water proof case) then putting that inside an armband but i feel like its over kill.

one sealed off, low profile arm band would do the trick.

kudos to Vidder for that link!

19. netjack macrumors member

I just got the s9hd's and the snugness of the buds in the ear is pretty crappy. I'm use to the nice tight fit of my wired ear buds (metro fi's). The noise cancellation of the s9hd's was so bad that I had to roll up the windows while I drove. With the windows up, I rather just use the speakerphone which is plenty loud with windows up.

I was thinking about getting the Avertec's but I'm fearing the snugness/noise cancellation will probably be the same as the s9hd's. Can anyone comment on this?

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You tried all the buds that came with it and got poor noise cancellation? The reason I ask because mine works fine.

21. dmb499 macrumors regular

Yeah, mine works fine as well. Haven't tried it in the car, and probably never will because I have a jawbone. Mine fit great though while running after switching to the 2nd largest buds.

22. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

My S9HD's are perfect too. Not too tight and I think I'm using the ear buds that came on them.

Little off topic, but is it not illegal to drive with headphones in? I just completed a Defensive Driving course for Texas and in the comedy video it had driving with headphones (both ears) a $500 fine. Bluetooth earpieces covering one ear were fine.

Do other states not have this law or something similar also?

23. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Here in WA I believe it is illegal to drive with headphones too. Some states, it's allowed, like VA if I'm not mistaken.

24. jennie1984 macrumors newbie

I love my Armpocket. I bought the SPORT 20 for the iPhone. It's comfortable, it stays on the arm and keeps the phone protected from sweat (it's water resistant). Definitely an improvement from the belts..

25. DocGo macrumors member

I use the Z-Buds made by Zagg (makers of the invisibleshields).
    http://www.zagg.com/audio/zbuds-iphone-earbuds.php

Works well for my daily run and I like the fact that it goes around my neck so in case one of the earbuds come off my ear, it doesn't go flapping around.
    I use this plus the Armpocket 20 for iPhone. Perfect.