Headphones not working-damaged port-Replace Board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dondarion, Mar 29, 2013.

1. dondarion macrumors newbie

There's no Sound Output in my headphones/external speakers when connected to my macbook Pro. Sometimes there's this disturbance...

Have checked the Sound Input/Output setting as well. All is good.

The Apple Service staff has told that the entire board will be changed and that will cost me Rs. 30,000 which is an outrageous amount! :(:confused:

I stay in India (Delhi)...

HEEELLLLPPP!!!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

How much.:p

If you don't have that kind of money there are USB solutions like this one:

Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Device

But, Apple says it is broken but you can test this yourself.

Install OS X on a USB stick, minimum 8 GB and boot from it, it might work and if so you need to reinstall the OS on the internal.

3. dondarion thread starter macrumors newbie

This Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Device will work only if the audio port on the board is working, right??

There's no problem with the OS. I formatted the mac with the latest OS Mountain Lion too. Still it doesn't work...

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No, the Griffen iMic has it's own AD/DA. It shows up as a digital interface in the Sound preferences. It connects via USB.

The system keeps levels individually for each output type. Double check that Output is first set to the headphones (should have automatically), then check for a level >0.

If you haven't done this, try resetting the PRAM.

Press Option-Command-P-R until you hear startup sound a second time.​
    (from Apple Support KB HT1533).n

5. dondarion thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the Line In?? Can I connect my guitar into this port and record using Garage Band and Logic Pro?? Or is this only for Sound Output??

Are u sure this works on a damaged logic board?? If yes, I ll purchase it...

Is there any other device which functions like this and is available in India?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you clicked on the link you saw the picture of it, it clearly shows in AND out.

Besides clearing PRAM you could also try to reset SMC.

7. chrise2 macrumors 6502

That's the down side of laptops (and really all Macs the way they build them nowadays). Everything is built into the motherboard so if something goes wrong, you have to spend 50% the price of the computer to replace it because you're basically replacing 50% of the computer.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki