Headphones: Which ones to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jeremy08, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Hey guys...I lost my iPhone 3G headphones, so I need to make a replacement...What are the best, most inexpensive (say less than $99) in-ear headphones that I should buy, that are compatible with the iPhone 3G? Any ideas??:confused::D

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I'd get some CX300's and an adapter.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Easy, Bose In-Ear headphones, for $99. No mic but excellent quality. Unless you want to buy another pair of apple earbuds (with mic and controls) which are $29.

4. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I second the Bose headphones. I have a pair of Bose around-ear head phones (they were $150). They are excellent - high-mid-low freq response is great and even at high volume. In addition, being around the ear, they also help significantly attenuate the surrounding noise.

5. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

DO NOT BUY BOSE!! leason learnt the harsh way here, Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment. For $99 you can get lots of other headphones that will FAR surpass the Bose ones. Sennheiser has some good in-ear headphones, M-Audio, Shure, AKG, Denon, Audio-Technica also have some under $100 in ear headphones. I've spent (read: waste) several hundred bucks on Bose and I completely regret. Check at Guitar Center for the ones I mentioned before.

Victor

6. Zortrium macrumors 6502

You're likely to get many responses strongly recommending against Bose. I think most of their complaints are summed up by this article.

7. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

I read that lengthy "review" a few months ago and I agree 99% with it, that 1% being the part were he dared to put B&O in the same page as Bose; I've heard B&O speakers and own their earphones and they're NOT in any way like Bose. There might be some B&O audio products (Im not a fan of their TVs) that aren't fantastic but some like the BeoLab5's 9s and others are stupidly good (the short audition I had of the BL5s just made me drool). My A8 earphones are just incredibly good, they're naturally light [not lacking at all] on the 'deep bass' (they're earphones duh) but the mid-range and high-frequency reproduction is phenomenal, not to mention the high-end sparkle they boast; I can enjoy even deep bass electronic music with 'em. I'll take my Grado's Bang & Olufsen's over Bose any day, not to mention speakers.

Victor.

8. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Please don't go with the Bose In-Ears. They lack sound quality (see above) and on top of that the build quality is awful. Mine died after 5 months of use, Victor's after about 3.

9. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

I remember that day (some was severely pissed off :rolleyes: ) Mine didn't exactly 'died' they still function as an audio device (an extremely bad sounding one though) but the cables, ear thingy, square thing were the logo is located, metal sheet where sound emanates and other things are either rotting/peeling away or coming off. Terrible build and sound quality.

Shamefully I got tricked by their name, bought the in-ears, QC2s and Companion 3s some time ago. In-Ears: complete and utter crap. QC2s: ok sounding, good noise canceling, beats the sony (and like) NC but easily outperformed by Sennheiser and Audio-Tech for less or equal dough. Companion 3s: I gave them away, they're crap beyond belief. They have all been substituted by good sounding equipment now, thank god.

Victor

10. NintendoChick macrumors regular

V-Moda offers their Vibe2 Headphones for your price range. Excellent sound (after being worn-in), Stylish, and compatible with the iPhone (built in mic, etc.)! What more do you want?

11. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I still recommend BOSE --- I only know about their around-the-ear gear and small speakers and both I am VERY satisfied with (the headphones more so).

If price is not an issue and you want to be able to listen to great music while not exercising Those around the ear are Top.

I went to Best Buy and tried ALL their top head-phones with my iPod and I only liked the BOSE. The rest crackled at LF and did not have crisp HF response...

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bose headphones are not a good investment. A pair of 301s or 901s?

It's hard to say - there is a large problem between sound quality and build quality at this price range.

13. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

I will recommend AGAINST Bose. A pair of $40 Sennheiser PX100s will easily outperform ANY Bose headphones, including my very expensive QuietComforts (yeah I kinda wasted the $$ there). You might wanna get your ears checked, cause crisp highs aren't present in Bose. And what do you mean by "top" cause Im pretty sure even some modestly priced headphones will outperform Bose. Also, Im pretty sure Best Buy deals with the super high-end equipment :rolleyes:

Please, please, please, please DO NOT BUY BOSE

Victor

14. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I'm not sure Best Buy is exactly the place you might wanna go for high-end headphones...

I have a pair of Px 100's and completely agree. They might look horrible and cheap, but outperform most headphones for a very low price.

15. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i say go with bose. or flush $99 plus tax down your toilet. same thing.

16. Glennsune macrumors newbie

I got a pair of bose, those who cost about $99. I'm pleased with them, but I must say that I would turn them in for another pair if I could, they are just noth worth that amount of money.

Get something else.

17. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Get a pair of Grado SR-60's. The best sound quality for the price, period. Only $70.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

agreed. note the IEM request of the OP.

20. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

True, Grado headphones are superb, I find my SR80's just amazing.

Yah, thats why I provided him with the link to Guitar Center for sub $99 IEM. I find myself considering a pair of M-Audio's and some Senn pros (both for ~$200) or just a nice pair of Klipsch IEM ($200+). In your case I'll go for the Senn CX300.

Victor

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree with Sennheiser recommendation - it's unfortunate there really isn't much in this price range.

22. kvasir macrumors regular

Love my Sennheiser PX100s. Got them for $30 after rebate and I couldn't have asked for more. I'm not an audiophile, but I can hear the difference between these and my iPhone headphones. I didn't think there was a difference until I bought these and tested them against some $30 Sony headphones. I was shocked. I've never tried their in ear stuff, but I'd be willing to give it a shot now!

23. LinMac macrumors 65816

I have the set of Bose (from Best Buy) and I've been pretty happy with them. Mine had been mangled on a trip and I needed some before I got back on the plane. They aren't the best, but I've got them now so I'll keep using them.

I am interested to see the new $79 dual driver setup from Apple that is supposedly being released this month.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Bought Sennheiser CX300s, and was quite happy with them.

However, my Audio Technica in-ear earphones, which I got for around $25 USD recently, are better for most types of music, but worse for some. Much cheaper than the CX300s, but you can't go wrong with either one.

25. phas3 macrumors 65816

the best 29.99 i have ever spent came from a pair of Skullcandy Headphones these things lasted me all through Iraq and still works, the sounds is superb sounds like I have a sub in there hahaha