Health App Distance Walked

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the Distance Units in the health app from Km to miles?

Can't seem to find an option anywhere.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
I can't find any options for that. However mine shows up as miles and not kilometers. Maybe it's region based?

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I can't find any options for that. However mine shows up as miles and not kilometers. Maybe it's region based?
Well I'm in the UK so would expect it to be in miles :confused:

The device region settings are set to UK too.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Well I'm in the UK so would expect it to be in miles :confused:

The device region settings are set to UK too.
um...what? Are you saying that you do NOT in fact use the metric system over there?

Did you just move there and not know Europe uses metric? :confused:

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
UK doesn't seem to have a system, we use bits of everything.

I don't know anyone in the UK that doesn't use miles...
We certainly don't use kilometres in the uk. This makes the health app useless for me.
In that case, I have been lied to. I was under the impression that the US and (I think) South Korea are the only countries not using the metric system.

Certainly I have been taught that all of Europe uses it.

Damn... every day I learn something different from what I've been taught. My whole life really IS a lie.

As others have said though.. try changing region to the US.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I wish we did use the metric system completely in the UK - we're currently a complete mess using bits of both, although, officially, we're a metric country (yes, even though we use miles on the road).

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
what apps are you using to count steps? i can't find anything :apple:
The M8/M7 in the iphone 6/5s respectively will automatically track steps and distance traveled. The iPhone 6 can also do stairs (elevation). If you have either phone you will find the info in the health app

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California

Bhunt

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
In that case, I have been lied to. I was under the impression that the US and (I think) South Korea are the only countries not using the metric system.

Damn... every day I learn something different from what I've been taught. My whole life really IS a lie.

Actually, South Korea uses the metric system. I lived there for 2 years.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I wish we did use the metric system completely in the UK - we're currently a complete mess using bits of both, although, officially, we're a metric country (yes, even though we use miles on the road).
Uhh, both weight and distance mate. Unless you started weighing yourself in kg and not Stone or pounds?

BTW, the US is not officially a metric country either but you'd be hard pressed not to find a mechanic without metric wrenches or a doctors office that doesn't weigh you in kg these days. In fact, the tech industry tends to use metric and imperial for our beloved phones. How thick is the iphone 6? 6.9mm. But how big is the screen? 4.7''. Confusing?

----------

what apps are you using to count steps? i can't find anything :apple:
It is built in to the Health app. You have to go into activity and add steps and distance into your dashboard. Looks like this when you add it:

Attachments

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
anyone know if step tracking etc still works if u disable motion calibration in location services? its almost always using location, nearly as bad as spotlight suggestions

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2008
That's a big issue with HealthKit. You can't change the units. My weight is kg on HealthKit when my scales are lbs

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Why is my dashboard showing as empty if the 6+ should track this stuff automatically

I'm very confused by this health app stuff

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
As the Health App is no use to me I am using Pedometer++ which is free with IAP to remove ads.

It's pretty good actually, it shows you number of steps and distance. You can switch between Miles and Km to which is perfect!

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014

Yep, definitely lied to :)

Cars are all fitted with MPH speedometers, roadsigns are all in Miles, not KM so an app that measures our distance in KM is completely alien to most of us here.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Jersey Shore
anyone know if step tracking etc still works if u disable motion calibration in location services? its almost always using location, nearly as bad as spotlight suggestions
im trying to get the health kit app to STOP tracking my walking, its irritating to see all the data it logs automatically when you go into all data under walking... id rather just enter it manually.

I have motion calibration to OFF and it still tracks my steps.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Yep, definitely lied to :)

Cars are all fitted with MPH speedometers, roadsigns are all in Miles, not KM so an app that measures our distance in KM is completely alien to most of us here.
It's not the 'app', it's the phone. Your locale is set to the UK and that is set to EU measurements, it looks like. If distance needs to be miles and not km, that's a bug and should be reported.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Weird though, cos Maps has the option to switch. I'm surprised Health doesn't take its cue from that to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.