Heard something interesting at the Apple Store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ecujj, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ecujj macrumors newbie

Tonight while I was picking up my phone I over heard an Apple employee tell a customer that they had some returns. Some of those were from people trying to get them through customs to take overseas. For what ever reason they weren't allowed to so they returned them. Apple guy say that they (not sure who "they" is) were cracking down on sellers buying and then taking them overseas.

I take the statement with a grain of salt but I thought it was interesting none the less. It would be nice to see Apple doing something about overseas scalpers.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Probably just talking out of his *** to make a customer asking about scalpers feel better.

Not sure how they would even be 'cracking down' on scalpers at all if they allow simple no-contract cash purchases anyways :confused:

3. ecujj thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the weird thing, the customers never mentioned scalpers. They wanted to know if any had been returned and why, since they were still deciding or whether to purchase.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Talking out of his ass as most sales people do.

5. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

There's no "sales people" there. The phones sell them selves.

6. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

If it was true, the buyers would sell on eBay or CL for a quick profit locally. Also the time scale is really short. Customs take ages to do anything, and you won't know what's going on either. At best you'll get a note with a scribble on it after waiting weeks in the dark.

Rule of thumb, if someone's job is remotely sales related, stick your headphones in and listen to some Beiber.

You'll get better info that way.

7. Phoboss macrumors member

Pretty sure this is not true. On what grounds would they (Customs or whoever) not allow people to leave the country with products they bought?

8. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

So all the guys trained in sales to sell Apple stuff, in Apple's sales stores..

.. magically stopped being sales people as soon as the new phones came out? :D

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

Customs will stop you if they think you aren't declaring goods that you want to resell

The ny times had a story two days ago about how the Chinese black market is over supplied on iphones.

10. muggerfugger macrumors regular

muggerfugger

Not sure why apple would care too much about where people take them, as long as apple gets the money.

11. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

I'd be more inclined to think that people are finding they can't sell them for as much as they thought they would. Maybe scalpers are making excuses as to why they are returning phones. [​IMG]

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

This. A scalped phone ends up in the hands of a buyer who is willing to pay even more than retail. As far as Apple's concerned a sold phone is a sold phone.

It's not like we're talking about generators and chainsaws in the aftermath of a hurricane.

13. Phoboss macrumors member

On my way out of the country? Where I live, they only stop you on your way in.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It would've most likely been security, not customs, if they were able to turn around so easily and were checked. Customs is generally entering a country.

Hasn't there been news of the TSA cracking down on phones that are powered off not being allowed onto planes? Perhaps this was the issue or the issue that the Apple associate was alluding to.

15. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I read yesterday on NYT that China's black market for the new iPhones is not robust at all this year, perhaps because of Chinese govt's. crackdown on corruption and officials' excessive lifestyles and are pushing for adoption of Chinese brands like Xiaomi and discouraging flaunting of luxury items (Apple is a luxury in mainland China). Perhaps if black market is not thriving as was expected, the scalpers are instructing their U.S. minions to return phones that have not already been sent overseas. I hope the scalpers lose their shirts. But wouldn't it be just great if they succeed in ruining the return policy for everyone else?:mad:

16. Phoboss macrumors member

That's right, that could actually be the reason. There is a new regularity in Europe as well. Every device on a US bound flight must be powered on, or be able to be powered on, before boarding the flight.

17. erzhik macrumors 6502

There is no Customs on the way out of the country. The guy was talking out of his ass.

----------

It wasn't TSA either. If the guy had receipts, nobody will be allowed to stop him if they were all legal acquired. And phones must be able to turn on only on US bound flights.

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

It may have an element of truth to it.

For example, I'm a UK resident and if I travel back to the UK from the US I think (from memory), I'm allowed to bring back £399 worth of 'goods'.

If I'm stopped at customs and searched and I have a (just an example) £700 iPhone/iPad, I'd have to pay VAT & Import Duty (I think), thus wiping out any money I may have saved.

That's assuming I only brought back an iPad or an iPhone of course, many UK folks bring back much more from the USA, especially when it's £2 to the $!

19. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Not sure how you would return your iphone to an Apple Store in the US if you were stopped at customs in your country?

20. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I think there's some truth to this. When I went to exchange my 16GB 6+ in hopes of getting one of higher capacity, the "salesperson" told me to explain my situation and talk to the manager at the Genius Bar cause they might have something they can swap it out for.

Magically, there was one 128GB 6+ left in the store and it was mine. But scalpers were all up in that place and were being told there were no more 6+'s in stock. As soon as some caught wind of my exchange, they were asking all over the place and starting a mini-riot.

I think some stores may be holding back inventory for the "real consumers."

21. erzhik macrumors 6502

Ok people. Here is the deal.

1. There is no Customs when you leave the US. There just isn't one.

2. TSA cannot confiscate goods if receipts are present to prove that they weren't stolen.

3. Even if TSA confiscates it, they don't return them to you unless you go to court and prove why you need them back. That takes months!!

4. Never listen to sales personnel. They always talk out of their asses.

5. If Customs at entry port confiscate phones in large numbers, returning them is the least of your problems when you are charged with contraband.

6. /Thread.

22. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You don't go through customs when you leave a country, only when you arrive in a country