Heat:Lion vs SL MBP 13 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I had upgraded to Lion on my 2.2 2011 MBP 13 inch and I noticed that I thought it was running warmer than before. I used Istat pro. With Lion, running Chrome browser, with about 15 tabs, and just doing light forum reading, my CPU was around 120-125 F and my base was around 90F. Fan was running around a constant 2000 rpm.This was after about 45 minutes from a shutdown unit. I removed my HD and put in my original SL hard drive and ran the same test. The temps were just about the same. SL might be running 2-3 degrees cooler, but that's it. End of experiment. I am going back to Lion and just live with it. It seems like the only real way to cool down the unit is to run a fan control app and program it differently than the OEM fan program. Or maybe I should just drill big holes in the bottom of the case. Looks like we have a normal MBP, but they just run warm.

2. phassat macrumors member

or maybe live with it for a while until 10.7.1 and apple might fix the issue…. initial release would normally with bugs and I am facing small bugs such as when opening excel attachment from mail in full screen, it would stay on top of mail but when i tried to click the excel window, it will run to other desktop where I have my other excel windows…. so no way I can start editing the excel windows that opened from full screen mail….

but as I said… live with it and next update might fix it… as long as the bugs are not a deal breaker….

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Really? Mine is actually running cooler (and it wasn't running hot before).

I haven't seen the CPU temp go above 48 degrees, even while using Handbrake, and the fans weren't going all out.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

By the way, 2000 rpm on the fan is quite low. Do you have fan restrictions in place? If you raise them up a bit, they'll still be relatively quiet and do a better job cooling the unit.

5. after5cst macrumors newbie

Hmm, that's a difference. 48C = 118F. I wonder what is different between the two systems, particularly since the hotter system is during "light browsing".

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Beats me. I'm on a 2011 15"... just noticed the OP's is a 13". Not sure if the size difference matters (hee!)

But I'm surprised at his low fan speeds. When I'm tasking the unit, the fans, while not raging along at 6000rpm, do go a little faster than 2000rpm.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Oh, and from reading other threads here, it looks like Chrome running 15 tabs could be causing a lot of the problem.

8. dsio macrumors regular

Chrome on Lion is pretty bad at the moment, they need to update it badly. By contrast Safari at the moment is excellent, if it acted like chrome in some other ways I'd be using that right now.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

On SL, my MBP is silent. Even during big Pro Tools or Logic sessions it's dead quiet. Only in gaming the fans will spin up.

On Lion, the fans has kicked in during non-gaming use, so something is weird with Lion.

My advice: Stick with SL, which is a proper OS that works and wait untill Apple comes with 10.7.1. The current Lion OS X is still in beta and not ready for release.

10. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

agreed, I stuck with SL, we already got a migrate assistant upgrade, to help with transferring over.
    All that's left is 10.7.1 that will clear up the first batch of issues/errors :cool:

11. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I had problems with Chrome for Mac. I love it on my Windows machine at work so I downloaded it on my Mac before upgrading to Lion and hated it! It seemed laggy and made my 13" 2011 MBP run about 10 to 20 degrees F warmer than when doing the same browsing in Safari. For now I'm sticking with Safari. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!