Heating in MBP compared to PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Aniej, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I wanted to wait for a decent bit of time to let the MBP owners out there really get a long term perspective on the following question: I was wondering how the temperature on the MBP measured against the PowerBook G4? I have the 1.25 GHz model. My PowerBook is often very hot and very uncomfortable to pick up and carry for more than 20 seconds when it has been on for a while. Obviously people who have owned both machines would be the most helpful in answering this question. I am likely going to make the upgrade to the MBP when the updates come out around summer. Thanks for taking the time to help.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There are quite a few threads on this, but my 2 cents worth is the MBP is cooler than the G4. I had a 17" 1.67GHz G4 and the palm rests would get uncomfortable. The MBP (17" C2D) is much more tolerable. Both running at "max" usage. I keep a CoolPad under it to allow airflow underneath.

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i had the alubook 1.25ghz with 2gb ram, then had an ibook 1.2ghz in the meantime and a mbpro 2.16 now. i don't think the mbpro is warmer although i didn't run it through some process hungry things yet. my alubook was never really too hot either i must say (except maybe a bit on the bottom). using the same laptop, some will tel you it's too hot and some won't.

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The MBP is definitely not painful to carry, although I guess that could depend on how sensitive you are. But it is definitely not nearly hot enough to be uncomfortable to carry for me.

5. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I'm from Philly... Do I need to say more about how sensitive I might be. ;) I am talking significant heat to the point where holding it while I bring it from one room to the next can be painful at times.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I don't know what all the fuss is about with the MBP and stuff.

Then again I worked in the food industry and handled enough hot plates to burn the sensitivity off my fingers and such.

7. PharmD macrumors 6502

From my experience, my MBP is much cooler than my PB was.

8. Collin973 macrumors 6502

Just yesterday, while I was watching 24, I picked up my mbp and it felt unusually warm. It had been sitting on my wooden living room table not doing anything and iStat reported that the CPU was over 170 F. It did not look like any processor intensive programs were open. Apparently, microsoft word did not quit all the way. There was no "Word" in the upper grey bar, but the dock showed it was still open. I think when Word quit, it froze and kept trying to do something and it just cranked up the processor. 170F+ is the highest I've ever seen my mbp go. After force quitting word, the temperature dropped quickly to 120F.

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am not so much complaining about the MBP as I am inquiring in relation to the powerbook since my powerbook is very very hot and I have heard similar comments made about the MBP. I am looking to buy one so I just wanted to get some feedback.

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I think the temp rise was due to one too many adrenalin shots and a terrible actor trying to be the President. ;)