Hello Again! Apple silently introduced support for touchscreen monitors in MacOS Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by handheldgames, Oct 22, 2016.

1. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

What unexpected features does Apple have up it's sleeve for the impending product update? Well an undocumented feature of macOS Sierra may be a good indication where the platform is headed.

Apparently Apple forgot to tell us about the touchscreen support introduced MacOS Sierra. Connecting a spare Dell 21.5" touchscreen to my 2010 Mac Pro, it jumped to life without the need to install third party drivers. Considering the only option for touchscreen support prior to MacOS Sierra was an overpriced $180+ driver, this is a great jump forward for the platform!

Hopefully his will be a indication of where Hello Again could take us...

2. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I want to draw on a Mac screen with the Pencil (if I can position the screen right). Not interested in touch based navigation though.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Might be worth making a video as this change seems noteworthy prior to the event!

4. foxlet, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

foxlet macrumors regular

foxlet

5. 1madman1 macrumors regular

I tried a touchscreen on a Mac Mini *years* ago, maybe 2007 or so, and it worked without any extra drivers.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "Connecting a spare Dell 21.5" touchscreen to my 2010 Mac Pro, it jumped to life without the need to install third party drivers. Considering the only option for touchscreen support prior to MacOS Sierra was an overpriced $180+ driver, this is a great jump forward for the platform!"

Tell us more about your experience with the touchscreen monitor.

What, exactly, can you "touch" and control?

A few screenshots?

7. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I have tried it before previous to Sierra and it has worked for me.