HELLO EXPERTS: Will this Doodad work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Honey Badger, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Thanks in advance. I have a firewire 400 external hard drive that worked great on my old powerbook with its firewire port. I want to erase it now because I am using something else. Unfortunately, I got rid of the powerbook without thinking of the consequences... I now have a Macbook Air and, you guessed it, no firewire port! I cannot get access to the external drive to erase it. So, found this little doodad on ebay that I thought would solve the whole problem and allow me to plug the drive into the USB port on my macbook air:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firewire-IE...ultDomain_0&hash=item4aa55a45a0#ht_859wt_1297

When I went to the computer store today, the guy at the store told me this doodad would not work with my external drive because the doodad does not have a "chipset." Maybe I just didn't want the guy to ruin my party, but I walked away with not a lot of faith in his opinion. So, I ask you, fantastic expert community, will this little doodad work and should I buy it or was this expert at the store correct and I am SOL?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly