Hello, I'm an iPhone. And I'm a BlackBerry - Switcher Ad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sfoalex, Jun 15, 2008.

1. sfoalex macrumors 6502

sfoalex

You know what I'd love to see? New switcher ads from Apple where instead of the, I'm a Mac and I'm a PC, we would see the I'm an iPhone and I'm a BlackBerry instead.

I'd love to see the BlackBerry guy fumbling with options menus while the iPhone guys speeds through the interface to find what is needed. Or the iPhone guy using the total web, while the BlackBerry guy is stuck in a text world of the mobile versions, which lack all the details.

Hope you're listening Apple. It could be a brutal...er..ah... great campaign.

Alex Alexzander

2. advocate macrumors regular

I'd love to see the iPhone guy hunting and pecking out emails one character at a time while the BlackBerry guy bangs out emails with two thumbs blazing.

I'd love to see the iPhone guy pull out an iPhone with a broken screen from his pocket while the BlackBerry guy pulls out a BlackBerry from a holster.

Sure, the iPhone has a better music player and a better web browser, but the BlackBerry still beats it in core business functionality. For fun, get an iPhone. For business email, get a BlackBerry.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That'll all change with the 2.0 software.

Large corporations (including field ops at my firm, who must respond to email/sms/phone within 10 minutes because of business criticality) have beta tested -and approved- the 2.0 beta that was released with great success.

But hey, only time will tell.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Because you're only allowed to type with one finger and don't know where the QWERTY keys are located on an iPhone? Perhaps we could show a BlackBerry user typing along and then backspacing to correct his mistakes, while we could show the iPhone typer blazing along and letting the iPhone's auto-correct feature fix his mistakes.

Also, because they don't make holsters for iPhones... :rolleyes:

Of course, because the iPhone can do everything the BlackBerry can and more, but it doesn't have physical keys. Oh no wait, I know how important picture messaging is for business users! :rolleyes:

5. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

What prevents you from having two thumbs blazing on an iPhone? I do. My girlfriend does. I also know plenty of people that hunt and peck on the Blackberry or are still confused by the blackberry keyboard and the half dozen versions on different models. Oh and the touch keyboard is so bad that Blackberry is going to make their own, you'd think they'd learn from Apple, huh. Bring on the Thunder!

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'd love to see Blackblurried guy sitting at the bus stop waiting for his Blackburried to work during the annual/bi-annual shutdown, while the iPhone guy continues with "business as usual." I'd also like to see the Blackburried guy trying to send mission-sensitive messages/emails during the shutdown(s), as the iPhone "community" fly at 3G speed without missing a beat. I forget, are these Blackburried BLACKOUTS planned or just happen randomly??? :eek::D

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'd also like to point out, as an advertising practitioner, that this isn't a great idea for an ad campaign and anything I say "I'd like to see" is purely hypothetical. :)

8. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I have no clue what you are talking about... I can use 2 fingers on my iPod touch and type fast and great... The screen reaking... only seen a VERY small amount of broken screen iphone/ iPod touch's.

How about you buy an iPhone for both fun and business, get back to us :p

I know you will say the iphone and ipod are different because a name value and that the ipod would be easier to reach beause it is thin... I would say they are equally challenging and are both great systems. Why am I talking about both? Eventually, they will merge.. just watch! :apple::D

9. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I personally wouldn't like to see that, in the same way I don't much like the Mac vs PC ads.....a product should be able to sell itself on its own merits and not belittle another product to make itself look better....I guess this is why other brands are not allowed to be mentioned in adverts here in the UK, I happen to think that is the right way for it to be done.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Also the right way to completely violate free speech.

11. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Errrr.....no

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Indeed, this types of ads are just plain childish. I hope they don't go a route like this with the iPhone, the Mac vs PC ones are stupid enough.

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

Well technically it does. Doesn't it?

14. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Personal opinions on a product is one thing, but for a company to blatantly ridicule a product to further their sales is another........

15. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

?

I type with two thumbs on my iPod Touch. What gives?

Like the ones you can buy for an iPhone?

The iPhone is a portable computing platform. The Blackberry is a phone with some computer functionality.

Comparing the iPhone with the Blackberry is like comparing a DOS PC with a Macintosh. So called "business users" thought the GUI was a ridiculous idea. See how that turned out.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Virgin spotted!

17. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

not true

COMPARISONS WITH IDENTIFIED COMPETITORS AND/OR THEIR PRODUCTS

18.1 Comparative claims are permitted in the interests of vigorous competition and public information. They should neither mislead nor be likely to mislead.

18.2 They should compare products meeting the same needs or intended for the same purpose.

18.3 They should objectively compare one or more material, relevant, verifiable and representative features of those products, which may include price.

18.4 They should not create confusion between marketers and competitors or between marketers' products, trade marks, trade names or other distinguishing marks and those of competitors.

18.5 Certain EU agricultural products and foods are, because of their unique geographical area and method of production, given special protection by being registered as having a 'designation of origin'. Products with a designation of origin should be compared only with other products with the same designation.

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They aren't ridiculing a single product or company. They are pointing out (with tongue in cheek) the collective drawbacks of owning a computer other than a Mac. I don't see why people have a problem with this and think its childish?! Just because they are having fun while pointing out the drawbacks doesn't make it childish. It makes it more memorable which is what advertisers strive to achieve.

19. Kupe macrumors member

True, so long as that other computer runs Vista, which many of the commercials mention by name.

The iPhone vs Blackberry commercials might be fun too - until the Blackberry guy starts video capturing the frustrated iPhone guy. ;)

20. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

If you don't give a link to this^^ then my comment still stands as true.

21. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Hahaha that all sounded like PR dribble to me, just another way of wording what I said.....ridiculing a product.

22. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

haha. then Apple can demonstrate the App Store and have the iPhone guy download a video app using his 3G connection.

23. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

Do you mean something like this,

iPhone, why are you using a pen and paper?

- Well, you see I can't actually copy text so I'm just gonna write it down on paper.

Oh

iPhone can you send me that pdf?

- No, not to confuse the user I actually don't have an accessable filesystem

Oh

j/k :)
    (I'm getting an iPhone 3G)

24. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I think apple marketing knows how to pick their fights, mac vs pc is an easy one hands down mac is much better especially with the debacle of vista. iphone vs blackberry i think apple would look foolish with those ads.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL agreed. I think the original series were cute, but they probably need to finish them and be done with it.

What I'd like to see is more Apple users who are actually gainfully employed and have fashion sense. ;)