Hello iPhone(Pictures inside)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Robby9279, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Hey everyone, and Merry Christmas to all!
    Well, today I unwrapped my long awaited for iPhone, and I must admit it is truly great! I have a few questions though.
    1) Does the iPhone battery always run down so fast? I do admit I used it quite a bit today, but it felt like it was just eating up the juice!
    2) What cases do you recommend I have one on now but I don't feel so confident with it, only because it was free, other wise its quality is great (see pictures below)
    3)What Apps do you recommend for it?
    4) Any tips for washing the cleaning cloth? I know this sounds ridiculous but if it does get too dirty, I would like to get it cleaned. Should I just steam dry it or what?

I've had an iPod touch, but this is really something more, and here are the pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The phone! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Cases, yes there were a lot :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shiny, back, and me with the Santa hat haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phone, next to box :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First Sync! :D The case is on too, do you guys like it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back with case, once again, do you like it?

I will admit, the phone being naked is a great feeling, but I really don't want to get it scratched, are there any possible suggestions for it to stay in good shape without a case? I also have 3 screen protectors that came with it (bought it new off eBay), and one is already on. Should I switch these out periodically?
    *Side Note* All the cases came with the purchase off eBay, I also got a sim card unlocker.
    What was weird though was I was able to simply insert the sim into the iPhone, and it worked, I didn't need the sim card unlocker, was this because I was already on AT&T?

2. Daveecee macrumors regular

You know, I usually don't really like cases, and I'm probably not putting one on mine when I finally get it in a couple weeks, but... I must admit, that is quite a unique looking case. Where did you get it?

3. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Hahahah...Merry Christmas bro....HOpe you love your new phone...I see the old one up there, neglected, cold, and despondent. You look like a teenager from the back iPhone pic....Gonna make alot of other teens jealous :) I like your case too man...It looks all Christmasy....

4. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Here's some tips on how to make the battery last.
    1. Turn off Location Services unless your using it.
    2. Unless you need your emails as fast as possible think about turning off push and making Fetch either 15mins or 30mins
    3. Turn off the 3G, Yes I know, that's the reason you have the iPhone 3G BUT it is a BIG battery killer, mine is almost always off. It doesnt bother me much because I usually always have a wifi connection where ever I am(School, Home, Work, Airport, Bookstores,Etc.). If I am somewhere were there isnt wifi around I usually dont turn it off, however many people have said that it will save your battery if its not on with there are no networks around.
    4. Turn your screen brightness to 50% or so...anything is better than full bright!
    Cant really think of much more...other than, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY YOUR NEW IPHONE 3G!!!!!!!

Hope everyone had a great holiday!
    :apple:

5. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! Yes I am a teen :p
    and I am not sure where the seller got the cases from, he sent them with the iPhone for free! :cool: (He was a really nice guy)

6. TheMBC macrumors 6502

It's the first day, it's gonna run down quickly (because you played on it so much), I've always found the iPhone 3G battery to be really good, and after the iPhone 2.1 update it's been REALLY great. I would recommend letting it run down to 0% and then charging it up to 100% in one sitting, now and once a month.

Well, Tap Tap Revenge and Twinkle are my must-have apps, BeejiveIM is good too (a pay app, though).

I would also suggest a case, but if you like it go naked :cool:

7. zigzag801 macrumors member

the case is from http://www.switcheasy.com/ I got my gf one for her new ipod touch she got for xmas they look very nice. Still contemplating on either getting the incase or the switch easy one...and gratz on the iPhone man, can't wait to get mine!

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ get a switcheasy case. Incase sliders made me nervous, because the older ones have a problem with taking them off. My friends iPhone got sandpapered on the sides because of that.

9. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

If this is the switcheasy case, which I'm assuming it is from the website, then it's not a bad case at all. It's very snug, however it does add some bulk. Other than that It's a pretty nice case, I'm glad I got it for free. ;)

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, it's a weird looking case, that's for sure.

Congrats.

11. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha agreed, but it seemed to be the only one he sent that could actually "Work" as a case, all the other ones were just crappy plastic, or horrible rubber, I'm more likely going to get a new one soon, it's just a matter of getting to the store.

12. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Is that the new iCandy Cane? :D

I really like that case design.

One question about that case.

Is there enough rubber on the bottom to where if you set it down, it grips and won't slide?

That is huge for me as I like to leave mine laying on my center console of my Titan when I am using the iPod part. :D

13. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely! A majority of it actually is rubber, the only part that is relatively slippery is the red part. I actually wouldn't even consider that slippery as it does have a harder rubber feel to it. So to answer your question, yes, it definitely will grip.

14. Indy21 macrumors 6502

15. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Hey welcome to the iphone world! :)

The case looks good... i'd keep it on there. Or, if you want a change, get an incase slider (your choice of color)..., they're awesome also.

To clean the cloth just use water, and rinse it off. Squeeze the water out of it, and let it dry on it's own. That's the best way.

Apps that I recommend:

-Sportacular (Best sports app out, for live scores and stat / game info)
    -The Weather Channel (Best weather app)
    -Myspace app
    -BeejiveIM (Best instant messaging app, it's worth the money to buy it)
    -Good Earth (just a cool app to have)
    -WeDict (really cool dictionary)
    -Wikipanion (wikipedia in your pocket)
    -JumbleSolvr (for cheating at scrabble)
    -AOL Radio (for listening to music)
    -Pandora (for listening to music)
    -Shazam (for when you are listening to the radio and want to see who sings a song)
    -Dial Zero (for getting phone numbers to big corporations)
    -Air Yell (like your local yellow pages)
    -Ebay
    -PayPal
    -Now Playing (for looking up movie showtimes in your area)
    -MyTo-Dos (good for to-do lists)
    -Shopper (good shopping list)
    -VoiceNotes (for recording your friends when they're drunk)
    -CheckPlease (good for breaking up restaurant bills)
    -Translator (need I say more?)
    -TideApp (good for checking the tides for fishing etc.)
    -Easy Wi-fi (must have.... makes connecting to wi-fi at mcdonalds and etc easy)
    -Air Sharing (good for connecting iphone to the computer wirelessly)
    -Units (awesome app for converting different units such as miles and kilo and etc)
    -GraphCalc (graphing calculator)
    -Backgrounds (download free backgrounds to your iphone)

GAMES
    -Solitaire
    -Holdem
    -21 PRO
    -iSlots
    -Monkey Ball
    -Space Monkey
    -Cannon Game
    -Fuzzle
    -Cubes (awesome)
    -Tris (tetris)
    -AstroTilt
    -Brick classic
    -Topple
    -Price is right
    -Enigmo
    -IbOwl
    -Cube Runner
    -jELLY car
    -Field Runners (get it now)
    -Besiegement (awesome
    -TapDefense (awesome)
    -ESPN CameraMan
    -vENGER lITE
    -Word Wrap
    -Are you smarter than a 5th grader
    -Aqua Forest
    -Frotz
    -Penguin Lite
    -pEG jump
    -PapiJump
    -Dots Free
    -Eye Tricks
    -Hanoi
    -Hangman

And... to keep your battery lasting longer, make sure you fully charge it, and then use it til' it dies. Fully charge it again, and let it die again. Make sure you do this. THEN disable wi-fi, and disable 3G (unless you are using it). This will save on your battery life. Also, you can turn your brightness down quite a bit (maybe 1/2 way) and that will help a lot. Another thing you can do is disable "push" or "fetching" new data. Set them to off, and manually.

The reason I said to wait to turn those features off until after you have done the charge / drain cycle a few times is because it will take a lot longer to go through that process if they are turned off. :)

You'll see the battery life increase quite a bit.

16. mondesi43 macrumors regular

It doesn't add too much bulk and it has saved my wife's phone more than once....

She has the black one for her 8GB, I have the clear (frost?) for mine. They're awesome.

17. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your well-thought post!

18. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Congrats kid. Vacuum for your parents sometime or whomever got the phone for you.

19. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, and will do. I mainly got the gift cause of my grades, and it just so happened to be Christmas time as well :p

Still sucking up to them though :D

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Congrats OP for getting a complete(almost) package for your iPhone!

You're gonna love it every now and then...

21. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh it's complete, came with the headphones, charger, manuals, box everything at it was all brand new. :D

22. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Oh, I was referring to screen protector films, car charger for iPhone (if applicable) stuff like that, but I do know the box should be complete else that's not good haha. Well enjoy your stuff, soon you'll crave for more ;)

23. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh alright haha, well yeah, sooner or later I'll figure which case I really want to stick with, and what little accessories I want to put on/use with it.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But if you're not using it, it's not using any power. This won't make any difference to your battery.

I say longer: 1 hour or all the way to 'manual.' Setting it at 15 minutes is no better than having 'push' on.

And miss calls when you're surfing the web? (Remember, EDGE does voice OR data, not both at once.) No thanks. I don't know how the first-gen people lived with that. Not to mention the fact that 3G's speed is "good" while EDGE's speed is "hell."

Get a charger for your car, your work, and your bed. Just figure SOMETHING out besides this!

Go further. 25% brightness is really bright enough most of the time.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

When I use my phone allot, about 4-5 hours I get a full 24 hours charge out of it. When I don't use it much, about 2.5-3 hours, I get over two full days.

I keep email, 3G, location services all turned on and never turn them off. This is the same on both of our 3G phones.