Help: 17" Unibody Macbook Pro keeps freezing, but mouse still moves

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timeslip, Mar 25, 2010.

1. timeslip macrumors member

So i've now had at least 3 different HD's in there, and I have tried to disable SMS as well. The laptop keeps freezing, and the mouse will jump all over the place, then stop. I can still move the mouse around, but the entire OS is frozen.

I have taken it to the Apple, but they claim nothing is wrong. This is so frustrating, i've had to deal with this for months now.

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey, what happens when it freezes? Does it display graphical artifacts in any way?

I had a similar problem with intermittent freezing (once every week or two), and I kept bringing it in and they could never diagnose it. Eventually an authorized service provider had a look and actually FOUND that during a high load video test there was a roving line going up the screen (which I never noticed myself). They repaired it by swapping the screen but I dont really know if that fixed it, since they decided to replace my computer for the hassle I went through.

Gotta love apple :D

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

This happens to me too around once a week, I think it's related to using the 9600M graphics card instead of the 9400M, and I think my 9600M is faulty. The computer will just freeze and the mouse will move, but in a strange jumpy way instead of smoothly. Then it will just freeze after a few seconds, and nothing will react, so I have to reset the computer by holding the power button.

4. timeslip thread starter macrumors member

Baryon,

I think you nailed it on the spot. The other thing I noticed is that when it crashes and I hard boot it, it will default back to the 9400M card. Once it's on the 9400M card, it runs fine. The minute I flip it back to the 9600M GT, it goes haywire and locks up.

First the video will lock up, then the mouse will jump around a bit and eventually lock up as well.

5. dreary macrumors regular

i'm having the same problem whenever i'm watching youtube videos or movies on quicktime. should i contact apple?