Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
My wife has a late-2011 MBP (obsolete I know, but it has sentimental value), 15" top of the line processor. She rarely uses it and a few months ago I installed a new SSD and RAM. Made a huge improvement and no issues for a while with either of those.

Now, the MBP is crashing at startup. It goes to the Apple Logo and about halfway through the load screen and shuts down. Already reset SMC and PRAM. I attempted to use Disk Utility on startup but as I clicked on Disk Utility it crashed and shut down. Same thing happened on single-boot mode with "/sbin/fsck -fy" attempt, crashed before I could input the command (see attached pic before the crash). Started in safe mode and it got to log-in screen, but again crashed before I could input the password.

One odd thing is after a crash it will not turn on using the power button. However, if I slide my hand along the keyboard, pressing all keys, it will turn on. /confused.

I am thinking this is a logic board failure. Seems to me if the issue was the hard drive then I could at least use Disk Utility. Hoping for some other insights here before I drop some cash on an attempt to repair.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 146
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.