Help a Guy get a G5..lol

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
That's really funny. Good idea too. I think I would donate...if my G5 worked. But it just got here, DOA, so I'm not in a giving mood.

Comment

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
That's sad. If it was a Dell, I wouldn't give a ****, but I love the graphite G4's. Of course, it might be a Yikes!, in which case I have the same damn thing in a blue and white case. And I guess I wouldn't care too much about a Yikes! either. Sawtooth and up, though, that's just cruel.

Wins points for amusement, though, I'll donate. Even though he should really just give me the G4.

Comment

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Xephian said:
He can atleast sell is old G4 instead of blowing it up. I saw this at Macnn.com too.
Yes, but will he get $5000 for an old G4?

He has an interesting sales pitch. I wonder if he's going to receive 20,000 quarters in the post (plus a lot of envelopes). Otherwise we'd have to give a minimum of $.55 via PayPal.

Comment

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
He is a videographer, if he works hard enough and is good enough, he might be able to buy[/B] a G5.

Then he could donate his perfectly good G4 for a good cause.

Comment

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Adria Petty Design must employ him or be interested in his work, a $200 donation is pretty nice considering.

I too am quite surprised of how much as been donated, over $1k not counting the design company, which assuming those are all 'randoms' like he was getting at, at roughly $0.25 then we are looking at over 4000 people. Come on, don't you know that same quarter can get you a sexy surprise from rest-stop bathroom machines? :rolleyes:

Comment

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
I'm wondering why doesn't this fool get a part-time job and earn the money like any other respectable person?
He's so desperate he's got to pull an internet stunt like this?
Doesn't he know about PowerMax trade up program?
Hasn't he heard of eBay?

Comment

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
RndmAxess said:
Another lazy scam artist making money from a bunch of stupid fools.

The guy should learn how to use his video camera first. It's all muddy and underexposed.

Then maybe he can actually earn the money to buy his G5.

And, after all what's wrong with getting a job? Hell, maybe he should just sell pirate software to college kids on CL.
I wouldn't call him a scam artist. The guy is doing exactly what he says he's doing. He's soliciting for money. No scam there. Not necessarily hard-working, but not samming either.

Comment

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
stridey said:
I wouldn't call him a scam artist. The guy is doing exactly what he says he's doing. He's soliciting for money. No scam there. Not necessarily hard-working, but not samming either.
Can't really argue with that theory. I think what he is doing is actually quite smart. He knows there are a ton of people who lounge around on the internet all day looking for crap like this to waste money on, and it has been successful for thousands of other 'scams', why should he not try?

All he had to do was register his domain name, host it, and then shoot that little video explaining his idea. I didn't see any guarantees or anything on site, so who says once he gets his $5k he won't just keep his G4 and buy his now-free G5? Heck, I would just buy a G4 case on ebay for $40 and blow the snot out of that, just to give the show I promised. It is pretty stupid to destroy a working computer that is still good.

Comment

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
I can't believe one person (company) gave a donation of $200, if they've got this much spare, surely a charity donation would be a more obvious way to spend lose change :rolleyes:

Comment

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
No one is being forced to give money. Its like asking for spare change in the lunch room so you can get an ice cream, except its the internet and a computer. I see nothing wrong with what he's doing.

Comment

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
ive always thouhgt about doing what hes doing, just asking people on the internet for money
we all need to donate so we can see that thing blow up

Comment

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I know what he should do.........since he is so good a t video editing....he should sell the G4 to get the money but make a video that looks like the G4 is blowing up...with Final Cut Pro and Motion :D .........Ooops maybe I ruined his plan :p

Comment

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
For all the people "griping" about his video skills... notice that he's in the video and not shooting it? That could be the reason why. And I certainly wouldn't pay anyone for camera work on this project. I think the post-editing is pretty good and if I had enough ambition, I'd do the same thing.

He's definitely not in the Web Design business...

And looking at his current donations+money for selling the G4 he can already get a low-end G5.
It's not like he can't buy a G5, but look at all the software he must buy as well when he gets a G5... FCP5 runs pretty high on the monetary value.

Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
7on said:
For all the people "griping" about his video skills... notice that he's in the video and not shooting it? That could be the reason why. And I certainly wouldn't pay anyone for camera work on this project. I think the post-editing is pretty good and if I had enough ambition, I'd do the same thing.

He's definitely not in the Web Design business...

And looking at his current donations+money for selling the G4 he can already get a low-end G5.
It's not like he can't buy a G5, but look at all the software he must buy as well when he gets a G5... FCP5 runs pretty high on the monetary value.
Luckily he will be able to do the upgrade since he is a past purchaser. I'll donate a quarter, I want to see this thing blow up.

jon

Comment

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
I dont think anyone should donate anything to this guy. Americans blowing up and destroying things just sounds bad to the rest of us people who share the world with you! He should get a job and save up like the rest of the folk! Sell the old mac to raise some funds maybe? This whole thing would have sounded better if he had offered to maybe raffle of his old mac instead of destroying it. As a mac user and a member here I'm sure people would agree that seeing a Mac blown up is the last thing anyone wants too see. I would rather the 25 cents or whatever was given to a charitable cause.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.