Help adding Time Capsule & Airport Expresses to existing network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by m021478, Jul 9, 2009.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I have a dual-band airport extreme router setup in a closet on the bottom floor of my 3-floor apartment, and I'm in need of some help figuring out how to go about adding some additional networking gear to my existing system

I have a 1TB Time Capsule which I'd like incorporate into my existing network. I have an available ethernet cable on the top floor of my apartment which I would like to connect the Time Capsule to so that I can quickly backup my MacPro (connected to network directly via ethernet), and so if possible I can extend the range of the Wireless-N network that my dual-band router is currently providing (because the signal on the top floor of my apartment isn't as great as I'd like it to be). I'd like to have the Time Capsule configured to only use the Wireless-N network so that my Macbook pro and my wife's Macbook Air will be backup to it via wireless-n speeds at all times.

Upon setting up my time capsule, which of the following options would I choose to go with:

[​IMG]

If I decide to have the Time Capsule "Join the existing wireless network" (which to me would seem the logical choice), which of the following options would I then choose to go with:

[​IMG]

If I choose the option to connect the time capsule to my network using ethernet to extend my current network (which again would seem the logical choice to me), which of the following options would I then choose to go with:

** THIS HAS ALWAYS CONFUSED ME...DO I CHOOSE THE DEVICE OR THE NETWORK? (i.e. do I choose the dual-band airport, or do I choose the Wireless-N network):

[​IMG]

Now, assuming I choose the Wireless-N network listed in the previous screenshot, Would I then choose the top option listed below:

[​IMG]

Can someone please fill me in on whether or not the steps I've outlined above are correct or not? ...and if they are not correct, what steps would need to be changed in order to achieve my desired results?

Also, without requiring that I add even more screenshots and step-by-steps to this thread, would someone please fill me in on how I would go about adding an airport express to my network to extend the range of my wireless-G network signal (that's currently being provided by my dual-band router)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Select the third option.

I want Time Capsule to join my existing network.

You choose:

I want Time Capsule to wirelessly join my current network.

Don't select use Ethernet. This way the new Time Capsule will connect to your base station wirelessly and just work as an amplifier of you other signal and therefore extending your Wi-Fi network all the way to the 3rd floor.

Tell me what are the next options and I'll help.