Help -AG VS glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sugarray3000, Apr 28, 2010.

1. sugarray3000 macrumors member

Hey guys... Have read all your posts in all the other threads, and is it right that it seems it's 50/50 in the "battle" btwn AG and glossy? Or which display do you guys think takes the most points?

Why I'm asking is because im going to order tomorrow and im in serious doubt which screen i shall choose - I use it for school and home (so its my main computer - dont you think its better with a 15" rather than 13" as a main computer??)

Is the AG ugly and is the glossy hard to work with just with a little sunlight?

I really dont know which display i shall choose, can you help me?? ( it's not possible to see the AG in the stores in my country)

Sugarray

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

I'm not trying to be rude or anything but dude there are so many threads on this they even had to merge all of them. Check out this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=896715

I say Glossy but to each his own. Both screens are EXCELLENT but it comes down to personal taste. I know with the anti glare you can still see glares but obviously they're not as bad as on the glossy.

3. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

The glass in the glossy makes the screen more stiff/stronger.. Apple mentions it on the Macbook Pro website.

4. anarchron macrumors member

With all things being equal for myself too, I decided to go with AG because it had a shorter wait time than glossy.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Where does it say this? I was at the store and noticed no difference in stiffness/strength between the two model's displays. Also, the antiglare will shave 0.5 lbs off the weight of your laptop.

6. TedJustAdmitit macrumors 6502

TedJustAdmitit

Purchased a 17" i7 antiglare on the 16th of April from an Apple retail store, returned it then ordered a 17" i7 glossy and it arrived today. I have no regrets, it was the best move I have ever made on a laptop. The glare only appears when the screen is black and nothing is on it. Not too often that I have a completely black screen with nothing on it. Guess you can say the glare doesn't bother me and I am blown away by this machine.

7. anarchron macrumors member

It also makes the laptop heavier.

8. Coldmode macrumors regular

Buy the glossy. Move your desk if you have to: the color is worth it.

9. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Yes the AG is lighter...

Here is the excerpt from the MBP web page regarding its design.

Look at the MacBook Pro display and you’ll see another big difference. Glass. That edge-to-edge, uninterrupted glass display does more than look good. It also adds structure to the LED display beneath it.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

10. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I also noticed much more contrast on the Glossy displays. Blacks are much more black rather than a dark gray..

11. shadowness macrumors regular

When using lightroom???

I am waiting for the 15" with AG display here in dubai, i just have a query based on your comment...

what if u are using a dark skinned application, say for example Lightroom or Autocad in VMware??
    how will the glare be???

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

doesnt matter what you go for. If you go for AG you're not going to go wrong. If you go for gloss and you like it, then fine. If you think you've made a mistake with the gloss then get one of those AG screen/film thingies that some people are going on about.

The longer you take in making the decision, the more painful it gets.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's a lot different than what you said. Just because the glass "adds structure" to the display that doesn't preclude the anti-glare from being just as stiff/structured.

One could make the argument that the glossy display might actually be more likely to close under its own weight since it adds 0.5 lbs to the screen.

14. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

There are SO many threads on this. Really. But I'll put in my 2 cents again.

I currently have a 17" Anti-glare, and had a 13" Macbook Pro w/ Glass. The Anti-glare screen was better in just about every aspect. In fact I'd rather travel with the 17" because the 13" was terrible in airports.

15. anarchron macrumors member

I wonder if the added structure significantly enhances the durability of the screen.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah I think that's probably true. Depending on what actual material is used that Apple is calling "glass" (i'm sure it's some kind of hard plastic) it may be more scratch-resistant than a matte screen.

17. TedJustAdmitit macrumors 6502

TedJustAdmitit

Using VMware as I type this. Hasn't been a problem. I admit, there is glare when I have a black screen, but it doesn't effect my work. I do a ton of Photoshop work for my job and the glare hasn't been visible at all. When watching movies, there is no glare, but there is some when the screen is black, but I knew that going in and to be honest my screen rarely is black so I can't say that it is something that will ever get on my nerves. As far as comparing the AG and Glossy, the glossy has more vibrant colors, the AG had a sheet of white so to speak over everything, but that might not really bother anybody.

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You must work in a dark environment. Even web browsing on a glossy display 13" unibody macbook at well-lit coffee shops is an chore. Even at full brightness.

Also anti-glare displays have more accurate color reproduction. Wouldn't this be better for someone like you who uses photoshop for work?

19. shadowness macrumors regular

thanks for the input!!

but i was not asking about VMware. I was asking about lightroom and other dark skinned apps and their usability in glossy vs AG

20. TedJustAdmitit macrumors 6502

TedJustAdmitit

I am in a fairly bright room right now and I don't see my face at all, though I won't argue that it's up to the owner to decide if they are in an environment that suits them the best for using a glossy. I will always use an external monitor at a bigger size to do my graphical work. Not an easy task doing true graphical work on a 17" monitor, so it's not a point I'm willing to fight when it comes to what works better for graphical work? A 17" glossy or 17" AG. In the end, the glossy screen seemed sturdier to me and watching videos was a treat. Also, I do not use this laptop outside, I would get jacked where I live.

21. shadowness macrumors regular

The problem here in Dubai is that all the stores carry only the stock models.
    so i had to find a reseller and the MBP 15" AG's are coming in about two weeks time!

heck none of the stores have the new refreshed models at all and the ETA is around 1 month!!!

so in store comparison is out of the question!!!

but still the glossy looked good in the stores! but i need the Hi res screens for photo and cad work. and i have no idea whether we would get the Hi res glossy at all!!!

anyways, enough ranting,

thanks for the inputs guys!!!

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

It's so funny how huge this debate has gotten to be...when Apple first came out with the new macbooks and mbps with just the Glossy - there was a revolt. Looks like things are changing..

23. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Well glass and plastic are very different materials. Typical phones have plastic screens and scratch just by cleaning the screen.. Even with a microfiber cloth. Not so with the apple glass products.

Also adding structure to something is going to make it stiffer/stronger than something with less structure like the ag. But it's always a tradeoff since yes you can make things lighter the less sturdy they are.

24. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm not sure what was so confusing about post #13 that you continue to say this :confused:

25. Mirabella macrumors regular

I prefer the anti-glare. The reflections on the gloss are (for me) an impediment to seeing the screen properly, when doing things like using Photoshop and Lightroom. Also, the glossy screens block up the dark tones, making them just black.

Some will surely prefer the deeper saturation and higher contrast of the glossy displays.

As to rigidiity: I imagine that it's true that the glass adds structural rigidity over no glass – but that the aluminum bezel on the glassless anti-glare screens equally adds back that rigidity.

As for the question of whether the AG is ugly: That's subjective, and it's a bad basis for a decision. Choose what will be more functional for you, and leave looks considerations to your fashion accessories, not your tools.