[Help] AT&T Automatically adding Data Plan to iPhone 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pwnnned, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Pwnnned macrumors newbie

I've purchased an iPhone 3GS for a girlfriend recently and now AT&T seems to automatically detect people using iPhones and put a data plan on their account. This is kind of bad, If I would go to AT&T to turn it off, how can I jailbreak the device and make it undetectable so she can use it without a data plan, just a simple phone plan without internet so we can pay a normal phone price with no internet?

Basically, I want the iPhone undetectable to AT&T so they don't automatically add a data plan to the account.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot use an iPhone on AT&T's network without having a data plan.

3. Pwnnned thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ConverseNikki macrumors newbie

Is there a way I can get an Iphone 4 on ebay or amazon and be able to put the SIM card from my Iphone 3G in it and it'll still work without having to pay the $200 for a new contract?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes.

And AT&T will always add a data plan if it's an iPhone. There is no way around it.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Technically you could.
    We have a line with an iPhone without a data plan.

[​IMG]

Good luck getting AT&T to put "Data Opt Out" on your line though.

To get it to work though, you can't select anything under iPhone data, and you must have Data opt out filled in.

7. iTak3n macrumors newbie

I also have a iPhone on my line with the data plan "opted out".

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you can't stop them from detecting that is an iPhone (they will stick the data plan no matter what you do if it's a contract number)...
    If you don't want a data plan then the only way is a Prepaid Plan of AT&T or jb and unlock it so you can use it on T-mobile...

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Bolded: Correct
    Underlined: Incorrect

10. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

yep you can go "data less". just tell them in no uncertain terms that you do not want data. wifi is all you need anyway.

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Even if you disable data they will add it no matter what. The system does this automatically.

You can, however, disable it every few months they activate it. You have to put the SIM card in a non smart phone, though, every time you call to deactivate the internet.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

the underlined is correct, you can remove it again but in the next IMEI sweep the system will add you a data plan again ;)

13. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

The only possible way around it is to get a non-US iPhone. It's IMEI should then not be in AT&T's database as an iPhone. Note, this might interfere with Visual Voicemail (which is so useful, I think :) ) The IMEI is what trigger's AT&T's data plan add-on.
    Unless you plan to bail from AT&T, or perhaps want one factory unlocked for overseas travel - you will pay more for the phone on Ebay than through AT&T.
    And it's not paying $200 for a new contract, it's paying $200 hundred for a new iPhone (16gb at that price) with the legally binding promise to stick with AT&T for two years unless you pay the ETF.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not under certain circumstances like the screen cap I posted. We've had that setup for as long as I remember.

15. natwister2003 macrumors regular

I just got an iPhone 3G on Monday and in my account online, my data plan is listed exactly how you have it listed in that screenshot. Will AT&T end up adding a data plan to my iPhone by the next billing period?

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope. So long as you don't touch anything on those settings, you will be fine. Don't add a data plan though, because if you do, you won't be able to take it off. :)

17. natwister2003 macrumors regular

Okay, thanks! I was worried that AT&T was going to add a data plan to the iPhone even if my data was blocked. :)

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will add a data plan to all iphone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4's automaticly.
    They might not catch it right away but the system does scans and they automaticly add the data to your plan.
    You dont want data get a prepaid AT&T gophone sim or unlock and use it on Tmobile.
    And once they catch it once then as soon as you switch your sim back into the iphone you will get the text that an appropriate data plan has been added.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think they will add it if you have your settings the way I have them on that screen cap I posted earlier. We've gone through numerous cycles like that ...
    Even with a Blackberry (that requires data) they didn't do anything.

20. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Grandfathered in?

21. wpotere Guest

Meaning that you had unlimited data before the new plans were released.

22. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

What is all this nonsense about not being able to avoid data? We've both had our iPhones for nearly three months now without data with zero issues.

FWIW, a data plan might be required when you sign up for a new contract, but you're not required to keep it. Just cancel it and move on.

Source: my wife was an AT&T customer service rep.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You might got lucky so far but they eventually will add a data plan to your account when they detect it.

24. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Up until a certain time (end of 2009 or so) you could opt out of data. As long as you keep data off of you phone prior to that date, you are grandfathered in. I did that for the longest time with various smart phones. But either doing an upgrade or new service, you will then be required for a data plan. Only way around it is if you were prior to the date for the required data plan for smart phones

25. erc macrumors newbie

I had a long conversation with someone from Apple and from ATT tech this morning. History, my son has nokia, he's been using iphone 2g, had his data blocked a while back. Early in March he used my husband's old 3gs. ATT added data. Per rep, data is required on all iphones/smartphones. When I asked who's requiring, she says Apple, so I called Apple and the senior rep ended up calling ATT, and the tech admitted its ATT requirement, and apparently being done automatically by their computer systems. I asked if he can stop the systems from automatically adding the data plan, and he said no. I'm sure they can do it if they wanted too, but ATT just plain greedy and wanted all that money.

We should all band together and do a class action lawsuit to stop the greedy cell carriers from forcing us to get a data plan when we don't want it. It's bad enough that they are throttling the connections when you get to be on the top 5% users, even though they your data plan is unlimited. Did you all see how much it cost to get a 3gb on iphone 4s?