HELP: bought a macbook, airport SUCKS (WRT54G router)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm, Feb 10, 2008.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I bought a macbook and ever since then my net connection SUCKS. Even plugged into an ethernet cable I lose connection. Sometimes pages just won't load and says 'not found' in safari (pages like google.com). Other times it says I'm not connected to the internet.

Apple support said there was a problem with this router and to upgrade the firmware, I did. I have the WRT54G v. 6 model. I've reset everything (cable modem, Linksys router, vonage box). Nothing works.

What can I do?

This is driving me insane; I can't connect to the f***king internet half the day.

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

That's a known issue and should be fixed in 10.5.2 update. It's well annoying. I suggest you use ethernet if possible.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To be honest, I don't like your attitude at all. You can change the title of this thread if you like, maybe then someone will help you.

BTW. If you have problems with an ethernet connection, then it cannot be a problem with airport, right?

4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

They told me it's a problem with the router and Linksys has to fix it. Any ideas when they will patch this and release .2? Is 15.0 affected?

I am using ethernet, and even with the cable, I lose connection. Right now I still can't pull up google.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I didn't realise this was Barney and the word 'sucks' is not allowed here.

Let's look at the dictionary:

suck |sək|
    verb
    2 [ intrans. ] informal be very bad, disagreeable, or disgusting : I love your country, but the weather sucks.

Would you rather me say "very bad" "disagrees" "disgusting" "horrible" ad infinitum or can we deal with the word 'sucks' - which accurately describes this situation - on macrumors?

What would my ISP have to do with it - if I get on my powerbook everything works fine (10.4.9)? What if I released my DHCP settings?

7. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Did you disable the wireless connection when plugging in via ethernet cable? And do you have other computers running on this same router?

Is the router using DHCP or are you assigning IPs to each computer?

Have you tried connecting the computer directly to your cable modem to see if the problem really is your router?

Spend some time troubleshooting to pin down where the problem is, then come back and give us more information :)

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

9. Spievy macrumors regular

It is not your ISP

You could however change the Channels on your wifi router.

With that said , i am having the same trouble with wifi AND ethernet. I will lose my connection and have to refresh multiple times before I can load a page. It seems to happen on ebay a lot but that could be a coincidence.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

That's a Leopard issue. Pray for patches, wait for updates, etc.

11. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, never do. Could this be the problem?

>>Is the router using DHCP or are you assigning IPs to each computer?<<

99.9% it's DHCP.

>>Have you tried connecting the computer directly to your cable modem to see if the problem really is your router?<<

Yes.

>>Spend some time troubleshooting to pin down where the problem is, then come back and give us more information :)<<

I spent 4 hours last night dealing with this, went to bed, then called Apple, and they said it's a linksys problem, not ours.

12. Spievy macrumors regular

if you are using ethernet, then i would definitely turn off airport.

Well, at least it is an idea.

13. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, so far so good. Google loads. I'll see in 10 minutes.

14. asnozz macrumors member

asnozz

i have that router and a macbook, works fine. Have you updated/changed firmware to a custom one? I was getting dodgy freezing etc until I updated around a year ago.

15. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I updated to the latest available on the linksys webpage.

16. DocSmitty macrumors regular

It's *supposed* to default to the cable connection when both wireless and cable are on, but if it isn't that would explain the dropouts.

I'm assuming that's yes you tried and yes it did work directly to the modem?

If you are able to get it working on a cable to the router by disabling the wireless then I think that answers the issue, and that would be a known problem with leopard. 10.5.2 is supposed to fix those random dropouts, as mentioned above. If the cable still isn't working and you disabled wireless then your router is having problems.

17. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Linksys routers suck. After mine **** the bed I searched long and hard for a Buffalo router that'd run OpenWRT and it's been fantastic. My new MacBook has no issues connecting and staying connected to it.

18. Aguero macrumors newbie

Ironically, there's a Linksys ad at the bottom of this page. :D

I have the same router (WRT54G, purchased 2 years ago and no firmware update) and I haven't had any problems with it on my MBP...but my previous windows laptop had that same issue. I believe it was due to the excessive heat my laptop produced, because I didn't had those issues when it wasn't performing at max for a long amount of time. I also had troubles to (or couldn't sometimes) connect to the router at the other side of my room. But , since I have my MBP (Leopard), those issues were gone and my reception has never been better.

19. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

When I got my Macbook I also tried this same router, Linksys WRT54G, and was having the same problems as you. The 2 wired computers I had hooked up to it also experienced tons of lost connections and lags. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Apple Extreme Base Station. It was well worth the extra bucks, as I have never had a bit of problems with it, and the connection speed on all 3 computers is amazing.

20. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Hmm... I've had a WRT54G for a while now and I've had this problem on all of my computers. I just thought it was our internet service but this is making me wonder if trying a different router might help. I've been thinking about getting an Airport Extreme anyway, this might be a good extra reason...

21. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've had a wrt54g wireless router for about 7 years now.. and its worked well for my pc's and macs in that time.

Although I'm dumping it as soon as my Time Capsule comes :D

22. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I've had it with wireless to a (Dlink router/ap), but not wired.

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

What does Airport have to do with your cheap Linksys router?

24. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

My safari occasionly does this and im on windows with a pc. Google wont open or any page.. but open i.e and the pages open. Closing an opening safari seems to fix it.

25. jeff3221 macrumors regular

The new version of leopard hopefully will fix this issue. You should do a software update.