HELP:Bricked Jailbroken iPhone 4, need to restore without updating to 4.0.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Berges, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Berges macrumors newbie

So I was fiddling with my iPhone 4 and it got bricked. Its not stuck at the Apple Logo and it refuses to start up. I connected it to the PC and to iTunes. iTunes only gives me an option to update to 4.0.2 and then restore.
    However I can't let that happen as I need the iPhone 4 unlocked. How do I go about restoring the phone and NOT updating it to 4.0.2?

I am not too advanced a user, pleaseee help!

Thanks

Berges.

P.S. I am on a windows machine.

2. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

3. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright downloading the file. Hope it works! Thanks.. Shall get back and let u know!

4. anthdci macrumors 6502

it wont work, because apple checks every update to see if it is the latest (ie 4.0.2) firmware being installed. You have to point itunes to the cydia server and hope that your shsh blobs have been backed up read this on how to do it.

5. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

6. anthdci macrumors 6502

apple only stopped signing 4.0.1 a couple of days ago, so up until that point your way will have worked. They have now stopped so you have to point itunes to cydia. This is why having your SHSH blobs backed up on cydia and/or locally is essential .

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

1 you didn't brick your phone that means like the work a Brick or as good as a Brick. Two have you saved you SHSH blobs before last friday. if you did you can use though Tiny umbrella and download the firmware 4.0.1 by googling Felix Burns iphone ipod. How ever if you didn't save your blobs you have no choice to go to 4.0.2 :(

8. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that method didn't work. Yes I have Saved my blob on Cydia. I tried the iHackintosh link however iTunes keeps asking me to download and install 4.0.2. Could anyone guide me what to do next?

9. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

Same thing

Happened to me last week...I used tinyumbrella, i downloaded a 4.0.1 firmware. restore to 4.0.2
    when you run tinyumbrella, do a save SHSH blobs, start TSS server, open itunes and shift restore to the 4.0.1 file...you may get an error, however
    if you check it puts it back to 4.0.1..

good luck...i did it a couple of times and finally it worked....:eek:

10. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so if I read that right, you installed 4.0.2 and then ran TinyUmbrella and restored back to 4.0.1? What are the steps you used to do that?

11. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried these but it hasn't worked. I downloaded iOS 4.0.0 and tried to install it onto the iPhone 4 using Shift+Restore while Tiny Umbrella was on, it gave me an error code 3002
    I also tried a general reset and it takes to me an option to upgrade to 4.0.2 How ever I do not want to do this as I am outside the USA and I need my phone unlocked.

What can I do to get my phone back to working condition?
    PLease!! HELP!

12. calyx macrumors newbie

Hey mate have you edited your hosts file to re-direct to saurik`s ?
    cos if you ain`t done that then your restore will fail !!
    If you click on Anthdci`s link in the post above , it shows how to do it.
    Just thought I`d mention it as you wrote you saved you blobs on Cydia and not Tinyumbrella !?
    Therefore you have to re-direct to saurik`s server in order to restore and not
    Tiny`s.
    Hope this is why your getting an error, let me know if it works?!;)

13. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I downloaded 4.0.1, it connected to Saurik's server I guess. It got verified and all that. But at the end of EVERYTHING, it threw me an Error code 1004, What could that be?

14. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

15. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Spencer! I managed to kick the phone out of Recovery mode.
    Now another issue. I am stuck at the phone in Emergency mode. How do I activate it? The phone is locked to ATT and I am not in America :(
    What do I do to activate it?

16. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

I'm going to have to bow out of this one. I'm not sure about unlocking. Maybe someone else can chime in

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Since theres no way to hacktivate, youll need an original att sim to activate the phone.

18. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

Major thanks to everyone. I was able to restore the device to the firmware 4.0.1 and also activate it, with my old ATT card. Its finally jailbroken and unlocked.
    Thanks a ton everyone. I donno what I would have done with out you guys.

Berges

19. calyx macrumors newbie

A+

All good bro enjoy your phone , your way :D

Calyx

20. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Save the ATT SIM card you will need it again next time you restore.

21. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. Its a good thing I found the SIM card. Shall keep it safe.

22. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Glad you got it working. What a nightmare it would have been had you not had your old sim card...

23. calyx macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure you would have been able to use any at &t sim or for that matter just cut down an old regular sim from that network and activated the phone but all the same good work for keeping hold of that , i've had loads off iPhones but only seem to be able to keep hold of a sim eject tool for maybe 30 min and then it miraculously vanishes along with all my best socks !!
    In all seriousness though I'm stocked your phone is working again and just be thankful that apple aren't really "bricking " phones any more , well at least not like my first 2g which really got bricked and was never able to make a call again !!:mad:

Calyx:D

Seeds plant thoughts, thoughts plant seeds...:cool:

24. Berges thread starter macrumors newbie

25. tdream macrumors 65816

Bricked... this is definitely not bricked.

Bricked - an overused term used by noobs.