help! buy or not buy! need advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davideparrini, Apr 29, 2013.

  1. davideparrini macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #1
    Hello everyone! I'm davide from Italy, just got into macrumors and I love it!
    I need some advices about rmbp! hope that someone can help me! im gettin into mac world and i really wanna go to an apple notebook (coming from an old dell xps), I'm currently working in australia but im leaving in couple of weeks, I would like to buy now a 13" retina mac book pro beacuse it fit what I need and it's really cheap compared to italy with the euro dollar exchange, I can get tax refund at the airport before going back home ( for example i was looking at the model with 2,6 ghz and 256 gb ssd, that came out 2 months ago, in italy the price is 1700 euro agaist the 1600 au dollar here with the tax refund, that its like 1200 euro converted) the problem is that I just saw that in the new WWDC, apple will probably release a new version of the rmbp with the haswell processor soon, should I wait the new one and buy it in italy (more expensive) or should I buy it now here? thanks for you help!!!!!!!!!! by the way if you would buy it now, which model you advice me to get??? big thanks :)
     
  2. Augustine864 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2013
    #2
    I'm a new guy too and also wondering this question,but with your unique situation between the EU vs AU and also the tax refund, I would buy before you leave the country. 500 EU is quite a bit of money. It would have to be a pretty huge WWDC update to justify that cash and most people make it sound like it won't be. At least not 500 euros worth.

    But I'm just a new guy.
     
  3. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #3
    I have been holding off for a 2nd generation rMBP for a long time now. And it's not just for the Haswell chip. Ordinarily I'd say wait. But with the deal being presented to you and the time constraint you're facing, it's really a no brainer. Go get that computer tomorrow morning. The machines they are selling now seem to have been improved over what they were like 9 months ago, from what I've been reading. Waiting is for those who have the luxury of time. And you don't. So unless money is no issue for you....
     
  4. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #4
    first appriciate the help man...
    that's what I was thinking! 500 euro is a big gap, and the new one is coming out probably in august? the question is: the current model is gonna go down by 500 euro when the new one will be out?
    another question, as you mentioned, is if the new one will come with so many updates, or is just the new processor?
     
  5. Augustine864 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2013
    #5
    Not so many that it would be worth 500 extra euros. I understand why you are tempted to wait since I'm currently waiting as well, but I don't have those cost issues here in the US. If I were in your position, I would just go buy that sucker, give it a good home, and love it to death.
     
  6. davideparrini, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

    davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #6
    yeah man thats the point, i have to leave in couple of weeks and the price is too interesting to walk away, what model you advice me to get? i mean i want the 13" retina, do you mind helping me with the setup of the features? by the way one of my collegue got me a 1 tb lacie thunderbolt 5400rpm hd as a present, so i dont need too much gigabite of hd (bday in a week, rMBP is gonna be the present for myself ahahah), and i already had an :apple: external optical drive.... and i have an old dell xps m1530 from 2008, its time for a change!!!! thanks for the help!
     
  7. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #7
    yeah ahahah I will love it to death for sure!!!!!!
     
  8. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #8
    Me myself, I'm a 15" man. It's just the size I've always used and the 13" now seems like a toy when I play with them. And it's quad core as opposed to dual core. When there was a 17" I had the option to buy one for the same price, but it was just too big. 15" is perfect. Also, the 13" 128 gig SSD is just too small. You should go with the smaller ghz option, 2.4 (or 2.5 in the case of the 13") as you probably won't notice a difference and the higher ones get warmer, so more fans running. If you get the 15" make sure to max out the ram to 16 gigs you will never get a chance to add ram after you buy it.
     
  9. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #9
    hey man, first thanks for your help!
    I thought about the 15" but the current laptop that i have is 15" and is too big for what i need, but im really intrested in the power of the 15 compared to the 13"....my idea on the 13" was to get the 256 gb ssd with the processor i7...do you think thats better to get the cheapest i5?? by the way im gonna check out now the 15"
     
  10. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #10
    by the way what you think about the apple care plan? i dont know how it works international...buying a mac here in australia, what will happen if have problems when im back in italy? without the apple care plan do I still have 1 year warranty?
     
  11. adjeff8, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

    adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #11
    The i7 quad doesn't come with the 13" retina. However it does come with the higher end cMBP. They will probably offer it with the next generation. I don't know about AppleCare. But I know you need it. I would think that if you bought it in Australia it would be valid in Italy. Same deal only better food while you wait. But you should google it. Something simple like APPLECARE AUSTRALIA/ITALY would probably get you some answers. Keep in mind that you can purchase your AppleCare any time during your first year of owning your computer, so you can save up for it. Just be sure to not let that first year lapse. And yes, you automatically get that one year warranty. Make sure to ask the salesman all of these questions just to confirm everything. Although I work in Europe often I have only bought my Apple products in America. Europe is too expensive when it comes to technology. On the other hand the beer is cheap and it is much better than American beer
     
  12. davideparrini, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

    davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #12
    quote for the beer man!! way cheaper then here too! sorry for bother you again: so if i get the 13" should i get the 3.0 ghz i7 dual core or the 2.6 ghz i5?? and do you think that i can get the apple care plan in italy?? so it stays under the apple italy rules, and strange but true is a bit cheaper! yes i will get it at the apple store so i will ask every question possible...thanks
     
  13. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #13
    Apple may unveil the Haswell based laptops during WWDC, they may not be immediately available.

    If you have a need now, get it now, especially if you can save some money. Otherwise if you're really concerned wait and see what apple does.
     
  14. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

    ROGERWILCO357

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location:
    Michigan
    #14
    buy

    buy it with that kind of savings if you don’t like it you could sell it locally
     
  15. definitive macrumors 68000

    definitive

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2008
    #15
    i wouldn't buy a current rmbp unless it was at $300+ off, especially with the revision coming out in a few months.
     
  16. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #16
    As I've stated in this thread and others, if the need is immediate (and its a need not a want) then there's no reason to hold off.

    Generally speaking I completely agree, I had a 2010 MBP and I waited 6 months for the Ivy Bridge machines to be released last year. The wait was well worth it, as I would have been disappointed in succumbing to my need for instant gratification.

    Still there are those folks who cannot wait but if you can...
     
  17. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #17
    I dont need it immediatly, but I need it, i travel a lot, and my crap dell xps 2008 is nearly dead! i can save at least 500 euro (700 dollars) buying it here now, compared to italy, i can wait but not until august, you know what i mean?
    any advice about the specs or features that i should get?? If i will buy it, i will get the 13", the 15" is a bit too much i think, and a bit too big...thanks
     
  18. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #18
    Remember that the 15" rMBP is about the smallest 15" laptop out there in terms of footprint and thickness. Your dell is probably quite a big bigger and thicker.

    I have the non-retina 15" and carry it around everywhere with no issues.
     
  19. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #19
    If you must get the 13" then get the i7. Remember, that 15" is pretty light. I would think you could get that AppleCare in Italy but I'm not sure. Can't promise you. Good question for the salesman but he may steer you wrong as well. What I would do is get on Skype and call the Apple store in Italy and ask them. And do me a favor...When you get to Italy don't go to McDonald's. that would be a unforgivable sin
     
  20. Augustine864 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2013
    #20
    What about buying now and then if the Haswell release has you regretting it, selling it in Italy for more than you bought it for in Australia, (still less than full Italian price), and then buying the update?

    Would still end up paying more in Italy for the latest machine at that point, but maybe you could thus minimize the price difference and also get something for your needs now.
     
  21. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #21
    indeed!!!!

    ----------

    ahahahaha no way! mcdoland in italy is totally crap! ahahah
    i will try to get to apple italy and ask! the 15" is a bit expensive but it worth i think, what do you think about the entry level? thanks a lot
     
  22. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #22
    just got back from the apple store, the 15 is way to big for me, i know that is so powerful but its too much for me and for my pocket, i will go with the 13 it fits what i need, the issue is that to get the tax refund i have to buy it in a shop not online, so im forced to choose between the entry level i5 2,5 ghz and 128 gb ssd or the medium level 2.6 ghz 256 gb ssd??? im bit confused, maybe i should wait, but is 700 dollar cheaper then italy! help!!!!
     
  23. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #23
    Yeah, the base model, or entry level is all that you need. BUT...You should still max out the ram upn purchase
     
  24. davideparrini thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #24
    I don't think I need all that power, yeah the entry level with 16 ram, but I can't get at the apple store, I need to buy it online and is a pain in the ass for the tax refund! I would love to have the 15 but is really expensive, and I don't need so much power, for the apple care no problem, I can get it in Italy when I will be back, I was going to buy the 13 retina today, but the apple store guy that I was talking to, was a massive idiot, I got pissed off and got out of the store ahahaha I'm still on the 13" it fit me for mobility, mail, web, watch movies, office, I don't do graphics or video editing, what you reckon ? Entry or medium level? Thanks for your time
     
  25. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #25
     

Share This Page