help, can he hack me bec. he knows my IP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PinkSakura, Dec 8, 2010.

1. PinkSakura macrumors member

PinkSakura

I was just talking to this one guy on Yahoo messenger and he said he knows my IP address and my Main IP provider,that he did DOS Command.. something like that while talking to me. He said he can easily hack my computer and know private things about myself,infos,credit cards etc..Like for example I am shopping online, he said he could easily use the account.

What should I do now ? Should I change all my passwords ? I am scared.I am using Macbook Pro 15inch by the way if you need this info.. Pls.help.

2. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

No, he cannot hack you by knowing an IP Address.

3. PinkSakura thread starter macrumors member

PinkSakura

but he knows my main IP provider.. that is what he says.. he even showed it to me that starts with number 18 :(

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, he can't hack your system simply by having your IP address. He would have to know what firewall you have and how to get through it, among other things. He's BSing you.

http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/ip-address-lookup.asp
    Whats My IP Address Reveal About Me?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

He's just trying to scare you. Can't hack with just that, and no one would be dumb enough to tell you that they can or would hack into your computer.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

No, he can't hack your macbook just because of an IP.

Tell him you have all his personal info and that you're going tell his mother to put him in time out.

8. PinkSakura thread starter macrumors member

PinkSakura

he showed me his yt page and he can do jailbreaking stuffs on Iphone and a lot of things going on there. I am kinda scared .

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Jailbreaking an iPhone is easy, it just requires some easily obtainable software. It has absolutely nothing to do with hacking a computer.

10. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I think the most he could do with that information is a DDoS attack. When you are on the internet your IP address (and therefore your ISP) is publicly available to anything that you are accessing. If it were that unsafe it wouldn't be like that.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Tell him to bring it on! Jailbreaking a phone is simple, compared to hacking a firewall. There are plenty of instructions online about how to jailbreak. It's common knowledge. Hacking firewalls, not so much.

You can find out what your IP shows by clicking here:

http://www.tracemyip.org/

He's full of BS.

12. PinkSakura thread starter macrumors member

PinkSakura

no he really know bec. he showed me my main IP address Provider that starts with 18. He took a pic of it.And then i searched on how to find my IP address on my macbook by using terminal and typing iconfig something like that and I found my Ip address and i told him its different and he said yes it's different bec. what i have here is your main IP provider and your Ip address that you are looking right now is the one that starts with 18 while your Ip provider starts with 19.. and he gave me the link of the pic of my main IP provider number.He said he did it by doing Dos command something like that.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Anyone with working hands and half a brain can jailbreak an iPhone.

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the link in my last post. That will show you what he can see. Your IP address is public. It doesn't reveal any information about your personal data on your computer.

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If he used the term Main IP provider, he is lying, especially if you can't find that number anywhere on your computer. I would think that whatever a main IP provider was (not sure that that actually exists) would actually give even less information than a specific IP. He probably found his own IP address and showed it to you.

17. PinkSakura thread starter macrumors member

PinkSakura

this is just some random dude i met on some forum when i was having a problem with the shutter of my Iphone few months ago. He was bragging how good he is on Iphone on that site and he has his ym account posted so i added him.

18. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Why are you still talking to him? Does he have dirt on you or something? He can't do anything. He is probably sitting in hi basement with a bag of Cheetos and a huge smile on his face.

If you are REALLY concerned, just unplug your router. You will be disconnected from the internet, and when you plug it in again, you will get a new IP address. Delete the guy from Yahoo.

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can find the ISP if you have the IP address. IP addresses are assigned to ISPs, so that's easy to find out.

21. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I agree he is using stupid terms to tell OP this stuff.

I used to know how to do this but I've forgot. Don't you do netstat -n while in a direct chat and then find a foreign IP?

22. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's what I figured he was getting at, but why would he not say ISP?

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Kinda like my 3 year old great nephew threatening to nuke Australia. Not much of a threat!

24. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

OP, what's his screen name? (so everyone can have a little fun ;))

25. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I believe you need to establish a peer-to-peer connection via webcam or by accepting a file transfer to be able to use netstat ...

... oh crap ...

@PinkSakura, you haven't been sharing files or video with this random dude, have you?