Help... Can't make a *.dmg file of Leopard disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MNMacLvr, Dec 28, 2007.

1. MNMacLvr macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have been trying to make a backup *.dmg file of my Leopard Install DVD for us on a HDD.. I am using disk utilities.. and clicking on new image of DVD .. and choosing read only .. i have also tried compressed.. it goes maybe 30 - 40 % into the process then errors with an unable to create due to Input / Output error. This is the second Leopard DVD i've had an issue with.. the first was exchanged at the apple store for the one I have now.. but I'd like to make a *.dmg file for faster access.. anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance :)

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Do you have at least about 20gb of HD space available?
    Running out of HD space could be the issue then, since creating a compressed image would take roughly double the space of the actual disc which comes to around 17gb.

If that is not the case, do you have toast?

3. MNMacLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply... yes i have 85GB of HDD space open.. so i do not think that's the prob.. I do have toast... is there a way to do it in there... I find it funny that disk utility can't do it..???

4. MNMacLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should also point out I have a MBP SR .. 2.4GHz 4GB ram .. it is currently running the imaging again.. and I have 2.5GB ram free and is only using about 15% or the CPU. I am starting to wonder if the actual problem isn't the DVD... but the DVD reader/writer ... I have watched movies, and burned some dvd/cd's .. without issue... but this is the second time with a leopard dvd that i've had either install issues or now.. image issue's..

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Unless I am miss understanding, you do realize that you cannot boot to a .dmg file, don't you? And with all OS install disks, you must boot to it to install. So the .dmg is worthless for installing, you must burn it to disk to use it, therefore you won't have any speed gain.

6. MNMacLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

I do realize this.. but i'm not going to use it as an install disc... I want it for the extra content and programs that are on it.. drivers etc... so that I can just mount it from an external drive and install the programs.. and I have been told you can actually place the image on an external disc... and boot from it .. for install purposes..

7. MNMacLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

ok.. so I just made a *.dmg file of battlefield 2142... yes I know that it won't work for replacing the DVD for the game.. I was simply testing to see if it was my DVD drive ... or the Leopard DVD... i'm now convinced it's the DVD... there are no scratches on my leopard disc... and as i've said.. this is the second leopard disc i've had with issues.. Any ideas??

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The Leopard DVDs are in an interesting format. Stick them in a Macintosh, and they are a Macintosh formatted DVD. Stick them into a PC (or use BootCamp), and they are a Windows formatted DVD with all the drivers that BootCamp needs. That could be why you have problems.

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

choose "DVD/CD master" not "read only."

10. btcomm macrumors regular

Sounds like you would have to use toast, not too sure on how you would create an image instead of burning a new disc though.

11. MNMacLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

I can create the image in toast.. however, the image created is only usable by toast.. it's not a .dmg file.. well i guess it is with the .toast ext also.. so i have to open the file in toast then mount it within toast.. that's not helpful if i want to place the dmg file on a hdd for use.. I see no reason why I can't create a dmg file of this dvd ... i have read doing this on machints.com .. but it doesn't work with 10.5 dvd.. or maybe it does.. just not with either of the ones i've had.

12. MNMacLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Pianoman... I've tried "read only" "compressed" and now your suggestion " DVD/CD Master" ... I got another I/O failure.. . I think it may be time to visit the Genius Bar.. LOL ..

13. unity macrumors 6502a

You must be a former windows user. There are no "drivers" to install later. OS X will NEVER ask you to "Please insert the Windows disc...".

Install what you want and thats it.

And no, placing it on an external drive will not make it bootable.

The I/O error may be copy protection, a mac Genius will not help you with this. There is NO advantage to doing what you want, its no faster that putting the DVD into the drive.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i made a copy of my Leopard install disc in case the disc ever gets lost, stolen, or damaged i'll have an image that i can use and i won't have to spend another $129 for the DVD. since i made a copy of my disc, i can't imagine that the fault here lies with copy protection; why would some discs have it and others not?

to the OP: try another Mac or talk to a Genius. i don't know what the error is but i can tell you i've successfully made an image of my Leopard install DVD, so it is possible.

15. MNMacLvr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks pianoman for the insight :) ... i have seen the mac people at the genius bar have leopard on a harddrive for uses... i just thought i'd be nice to have an image for the same reasons u listed.. as far as being a previous windows user... oh yeah.. i am... an i can't say i'm proud of it.. i should have switched long long ago... but i'm on a steep learning curve now.. LOL .. i'll check with the genius bar.. thanks for all the help.