Help deciding: Air or Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jinxednuance, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

Hello folks,

I am torn between the two. My needs (I think) are basic, I don't have much computing except that I would like to run Windows 7 (Boot Camp) on the Macbook that I buy.

My main usage is internet browsing and basic Office work. And the occasional of running a few softwares (no games).

Since the Air is 2GB and Pro is 4GB, do you think I'd notice in difference? (especially that I'll have Windows 7 running)

Input would be appreciated.

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If you buy a Macbook Pro but run Windows all the time, then why do you buy a Mac? Just for the aluminium unibody casing?

You should ask yourself which is more important to you: portability or performance?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you like the air better, you can buy a 4GB version, so there isn't that issue. It would work with 2, but that's starting to become too little as of late, even for relatively basic use. Whichever suits your liking and budget better is what I would buy.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

5. cootersgarage6, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

It's obvious

Okay, if you are also going to run Windows on it, than the Pro. This is because there is no real storage on the Airs, as they are portable.

Also, the Air isn't even meant to be a real laptop. Every time I called Apple about it (I was and still am deciding on all 3 of the MacBooks), they said that the Air is no real laptop. They said it is a MacBook all around, but does't replace one. It is just meant to take somewhere, like trips. They claim it can't handle many things like heavy gaming, dual boots, video editing and things like that at a high rate. But tests have proven since it has that super fast SSD hard drive, it does things faster than some pros. some things. But by all means, no, it should not be used as an all around full laptop for running both OSX and Windows, or gaming, or video editing at HIGH SPEEDS.

6. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

The body casing you mention, I find, extremely not appealing. I am buying the Mac because of previous experience that it was the best in terms of performance.

I am not pretentious.

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

since the mba and mbp13" are the same price, id suggest the mbp too futureproof yourself, and futureproof your needs.

8. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Macbook Pro 15" if I could buy over again. Love the AIR, but a 15" inch PRO refresh would have been even better.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're buying for performance and planning to run windows primarily, buy a windows computer. A lot of them will have newer tech in them for a lower price. Plus battery life sucks in windows, and a lot of the drivers are really bad. If you're buying a Mac to run OS X, do that, but I highly advise not to buy a Mac to run windows most of the time.

10. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

I find the 15 to be slightly big. I am used to the 13's

11. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Can you please explain what does "real" storage means? And how is it different in MBP?

My needs are minimal. I don't do video editing, nor gaming on my computers. It is only going to be for surfing (Mac OS) and some software running (Windows 7) since some of the sw I use are not available on Mac.

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think by that they meant it doesn't have a ton of storage, but if you have light needs, that's of no concern.

13. C01E macrumors member

C01E

I always tell customers (work at BBY for GS, BRING ON THE FLAMES!) that the MBA and iPad are secondary computers, Like netbooks, you should not even consider one unless you already have a main PC to use for the important stuff, I say MBP all the way!

(I've yet to have one person come back angry from the above advice, But I See at least 1 iPad every 3 days and 1 MBA a month from the opposite... Nuff Said!)

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Your use case is pretty simple. Either machine would work fine. My 13" MBA has essentially replaced a 17" MBP. With 4GB RAM you won't have any issues running Win 7 through a VM. People who tell you that it is only good as a second computer either haven't tried it, have a much more demanding computer needs, or haven't read what you intend to use the computer for.

If mobility is important to you and you don't have high storage requirements, get an MBA. If mobility is not that important, an MBP may be as good or a better choice. You can put up to 8GB RAM in MBP and replace the SuperDrive with a 2nd HD, so the machine is easy to expand. But again, based on your use case, you're not likely to do any of that. I got a small 1TB WD drive for my MBA which holds the movie portion of my iTunes library. Overall, I have no issues living within the 256GB of space on my MBA and I love the portability if offers.

Good luck with your choice!

15. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

For your uses that you describe, the Air might be better for you. I just did the exact same thing, went from a Pro to an Air and the Air is actually much more responsive (not that the Pro was lagging) but I have the baseline model Air and it’s super fast, love the display (better than the current MBP by far) and the unit is more lightweight and portable.

16. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. I certainly don't need the extra space, I currently have a 15TB home server that hosts all my entertainment collection.

The only "heavy" duty I can think of is maybe running Windows 7 on boot camp and installing a few softwares that aren't available on Mac. I do basic tv streaming (I connect my laptop to a 42' screen when needbe) and basic web browsing, so why not opt to the lighter version, you know...

17. bobobenobi macrumors regular

This is one of the biggest piles of rubbish I've ever seen on this site. No real storage? No real laptop? Please.

18. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Do you guys think the Air will get a refresh too? Or is unlikely since it was recently refreshed?

19. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

20. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

21. Doneaux macrumors member

22. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

The MBP will likely be refreshed in 1-2 months. The Air was refreshed 4 months ago, so another refresh will probably be in 4-8 months from now. I got the Air last week, and I'm very happy with it.

23. Mangore macrumors newbie

They won't refresh the air's til at least next oct, then it'll be a spec bump anyways.:)

24. molala macrumors 6502a

Everytime Apple refreshes either the 13 MBP, MB or MBA, it's the latest one that looks most attractive in terms of price and features. Right now (unless you need the extra ports, superdrive, expandability of the MBP), that makes it the Air. But in a month's time when we have a new 13" MBP, that could easily be the MBP.

25. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Pardon my ignorance, I did not understand your last sentence. :)