Help deciding which rMBP to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GD.Diego, Aug 22, 2012.

1. GD.Diego macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This is my first post but I've been a Mac user for about 10 years now. Just to give you some background info about myself, I am a full-time freelance graphic designer/web designer that is currently working on a MID 2006 MBP 2 GHZ Intel Core Duo with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. At the moment, it's connected to a apple cinema display. (The older model) I need new machine because unfortunately my MBP is currently hanging by its life :( and I need a upgrade asap. My budget is 2,900 dollars for a new computer. I've been on the apple website trying to determine what would be the best bang for my buck and I came up with these specs and prices.

Can I get some feedback to help me determine what would I benefit more?

Thank you all in advance, my specs are detailed below.

$2,799.00
    MacBook Pro
    15-inch: 2.6GHz Retina display

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB Flash Storage

$2,749.00
    MacBook Pro
    15-inch: 2.3GHz Retina display

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage

** Im not to much worried about hard drive space as that I can always get more external space.

If you guys can come up with any other specs please feel free to include them. Thanks agains.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would highly suggest you go with the 16GB RAM option and 2.6GHz CPU.

Since you don't need massive storage space 256GB will do. This configuration should come out to $2499.00 Use the left over $$ for AppleCare.

That's a rMBP

2.6GHz i7
    16GB 1600MHz RAM
    256GB SSD

will be more than enough.

3. SlyMac, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

SlyMac macrumors 6502

I agree with Jav

If you are using if for heavy graphics, I'd go with the 16GB ram instead

4. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

5. SlyMac macrumors 6502

This is a good compromise. Start with the base model rMBP and bump up the ram and processor to the 2499 price point.

6. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

I know don't need the room but double the SSD is quite a bit. I'm at 223 gig used and only had rMBP for a month now. (mix music, movies, few games, applications) I wouldn't want unloading stuff onto an external drive all the time and speed difference from SSD to external is dramatic. I take 512 SSD over 16 gig any day of the week. Even with $300 price difference.

Just a thought..

7. GD.Diego thread starter macrumors newbie

Would there be a dramatic difference if I added the 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz [for an additional $250.00]?

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

This!!

And, no, don't waste $$ stepping up to the 2.7 over the 2.6Ghz... The difference is trivial at best!!

I got an amazing deal otherwise I'd have the 2.6 as well!

9. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Not worth... Save it for AC...

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

What he said!

11. shorty66 macrumors member

Take the cheapest version. I did it and everything runs very smooth :)

12. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Like others have said, it would not increase performance enough to justify the added cost.

----------

Music and movies dont need to be on an ssd. If you can deal with having most of your music and movies on an external (which it sounds like OP can), there is no point in paying more for 512 SSD storage. I just finished installing a 256GB SSD on my pro and will only have the OS, other software, and a few apps (maybe a movie or two and a couple playlists if traveling). I think its a wast of money to pay more just so you can load up all your music and video on an ssd.

13. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Personally, I'd go non-retina over Retina, unless you have a specific need to have retina or SSD; non-retina will give you much more upgradability which tends to lead to a longer life-span. That said, I'm going to give my advice on the assumption that you've already considered a non-retina 15" MacBook Pro and have, by your own reasoning, decided against it.

You very likely won't need the extra 2MB of Cache found on the 2.7GHz processor. Similarly, if you plan on keeping this machine around as long as your previous/current MBP, configuring it with 16GB of DDR3L instead of 8GB is an absolute must. I think the higher-end base configuration with 16GB of RAM is the way to go. You'll probably need a little more money, but it'll be worth it. Either that or the lower-end configuration with 16GB of RAM and 768GB of SSD. Regardless, 256GB is too small a capacity for such an expensive computer and unless you plan on tossing the machine after three years, 16GB of RAM is a must.

14. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

...16GB of RAM is a must.!? Can you please tell us what program you use that it exceed 8GB of memory RAM...because I can't manage to pass 6.25 Gb of memory RAM having EVERYTHING OPEN.:confused:
    The way to go is i7 @ 2.6 Ghz / 512 GB of Flash Storage dude and on top of this get that Accidental Warranty from Best Buy.

15. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I use nothing that mandates 16GB of RAM TODAY. However, If I'm going to buy a computer that (a) costs over $2000 and (b) doesn't have upgradable RAM, I'm sure as hell going to max it out so I'm not left having to replace my computer as soon as I would if I hadn't. Even though it's a steep $200 upgrade, unless you plan on selling it in three years, that upgrade/configuration is a no-brainer.

Also, Best Buy warranty? Really? Come on.

----------

Though, really, for how often I use Virtual Machines and how many of them I'd ideally like to be using at once, I can easily have VMware Fusion pushing well past 8GB of RAM usage. Certainly, I could get by on 8GB, but 16GB would be nicer seeing as VMware Fusion (and Parallels Workstations too for that matter) has to pre-allocate the RAM to the VMs and cannot change the amount of RAM being allocated on the fly.

16. SlyMac macrumors 6502

This x1000. If we were talking about a cMBP I'd say get the base ram and deal with it down the road. With the ram being soldered on the rMBP, you would be foolish to get only 8gb ram if you plan on having it for more than a couple years.

17. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

You could always go the unethical route and take the education discount. Even though you're not a student, it seems like Apple doesn't actually check anything if you order online. You could get the model with 2.6GHz i7, 512GB SSD, but also 16GB RAM for a little under $2800.

18. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

While they are not checking, ordering online with the educational discount is an absolute must. I don't care whether it is considered ethical or not; they allow you to do it; you are not breaking any laws by doing it; you get the machine at a much more reasonable cost, and it's not like Apple's hurting any from that.

19. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

You will not go over 8Gb of RAM just using VMware... maybe if you do intense multitasking with Final Cut Pro, work with huge images with multiple layers in Photoshop having a dozen tabs open in Safari plus a bunch of documents open in WORD or PAGES...this is not an normal use, is just someone trying to justifying himself that needs more memory.
    VMware works well with 4Gb of RAM Dude :cool:

20. entraik macrumors 6502a

I honestly suggest you don't even go for the retina at this point. Too many problems. Get the non retina.

21. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Do you qualify for student or government employee discounts? If so shoot for a 2.6/16/512.

22. Yebubbleman, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

What about "VMware Fusion (and Parallels Workstations too for that matter) has to pre-allocate the RAM to the VMs and cannot change the amount of RAM being allocated on the fly" do you not understand? EACH VM needs pre-allocated RAM. So if I have four VMs all running simultaneously and each are given 2GB of RAM, then if you do the math, you'll find that's 8GB devoted to VMs controlled by VMware Fusion. If I only have 8GB of RAM, that doesn't leave anything to OS X, let alone Pages, Photoshop, or Safari now does it? Know what you're talking about before you talk.

And really, simply "Future Proofing" is plenty of reason to to justify buying 16GB of RAM at the time of purchase. If Apple had removable RAM on this machine, then there'd be no reason to buy it with 16GB of RAM at the time of purchase. Alas, that is not the case with this machine.

23. GD.Diego thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, based on everyone comments I ultimately decided to go with this setup.

15 inch rMBP
    - upgraded 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    - upgraded 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    - keep the 256 GB Flash Storage

Price w/taxes $2,409.74 (free shipping) and including student/teacher discount

- free Back to School Gift Card ($100)

Accessories
    - Samsonite Luggage Xenon 2 Backpack
    - Apple USB SuperDrive
    - Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    - MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter
    - Apple TV

Price including accessories: $2,693.75 w/taxes and free shipping

If there are any other must need accessories, please feel free to chime in. Thanks to everyone who help me out with this decision.

I think later on I may invest in a Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch), so that I can use my rMBP as a desktop with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Hopefully we'll be able to do that.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks like a good decision to me.

25. Hakone macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on the purchase. For protection, i'd suggest a sleeve or case. I have a nice neoprene sleeve for my MBA. I don't know if they make those for the new rMBPs but they have saved me few times from some major scratches.

Again, congrats.