HELP..dropped ipod touch 2nd gen in toilet.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Obnol, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Obnol macrumors newbie

OK so i was in the bathroom and playing something when it slipped out of my hands and fell in. it was maybe underwater like 3 seconds. so i pulled it out and immediatley put in in a towel. later we had it on tissues. I tryed turning it on twice(bad idea i heard) and it was on but very dark.later then put in a rice bowl for more then a day. I looked at the water sensor and its white except for a red strip at the bottom. i tried turning it on after maybe like 26 hours of in the rice bowl and it wouldn't and when i connected it to the computer it wouldn't charge either. SO what should i do?

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

I think you should be shopping for a replacement. This one's toast.

You could lie and try to scam them out of a new one if this one's on Applecare, but there's more than one water sensor and your chances of getting away with it are slim.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

As you said, turning it on was a bad idea. It should have been left for days to dry out.

Apple has a fixed fee for replacing water-damaged iPhones. If you take it back to the place of purchase and they claim that it was water damage, you might discover, whether they have something for water-damaged iPods. I don't think so. Frankly, whatever you did and shouldn't have; now you can only try to return it as faulty, hoping for a free or cheap repair or replacement. If not, then selling it as faulty on Ebay.

I'm sorry about your loss.

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd leave it 3-4 days, it's probably a bit ticked off at you... or it might take 3-4 days for all the water on the inside of it to dry up. It's one or the other.
    Otherwise if it won't turn on after a few days rest, then I'm not sure what to do.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Obnol, basically right when you turned it on it was toast. It could turn on in a few days but you likely fried the circuit board.
    :rolleyes: You could but unless you're a POS that doesn't own up to your own mistakes then I don't see why you would.

6. Obnol thread starter macrumors newbie

if i get it replaced with a new one will all my apps go back on it? what about jailbroken ones?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just pay the $99 for a replacement due to water damage.

Yes and yes.

8. Obnol thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i think i will sell my gamcube or wii to pay for it

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

What were you looking at when you dropped it in the toilet? I've heard at least 4-5 threads just today about "ipod touch in toilet, help!".

10. Obnol thread starter macrumors newbie

i was playing imobsters i think it slipped because i had a fever and had weirdly sweaty hands from it

11. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

This leaves a disquieting image in my mind. To tell you the truth, I would have been better off not opening this thread.

12. AxelMonkey macrumors regular

Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Oregon
    poopy ipod!
    i dropped mine in the toilet once and washed it in the washer machine, still works fine, maybe its cause it was on when you dropped it, as to mine was turned off.

Good Luck!!:D

13. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

14. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

My first gen took this ride last week also. Unfortunately the don't turn on thing was not possible because it kept rebooting on it's own and did that until it killed it's charge. I picked up a 32gb as a replacement the only bad thing is there was a lot of stuff on my first gen that was not backed up on my pc(ironically pc was broken also) so I lost some vids and music. I am gonna eventually try to charge it enough so I can back it up but not expecting much. Feel your pain man yours a little crappier though ( ;) ) because at least I got an upgrade.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

This is exactly why you never grab someone else's cell phone, ipod, ipad, etc. You don't know (or actually you DO know!) where it's been!

GEORGE: Yes, I, uh, I need to return this book.

CASHIER: (Puts the book's code into the computer) I'm sorry, we can't take this book back.

GEORGE: Why not?

CASHIER: It's been flagged.

GEORGE: (Confused) Flagged?

CASHIER: It's been in the bathroom.

GEORGE: It says that on the computer?

CASHIER: Please take it home. We don't want it near the other books.

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheBookstore.htm

16. Twenty5 macrumors regular

I found that bit a bit disturbing. :rolleyes:

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

It's not a very exclusive club, but it does have a uniform...

Attached Files:

18. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

Normally I agree with you and would of been less mad had that been how I lost my touch. But in my case I was walking by my bathroom and had to set my ipod down to grab something the sing was the closest it slid off and bounced around like ten times and fell in.

19. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I have that T-shirt in red color.

20. iRance macrumors regular

21. Sophie1011 macrumors newbie

ok so the same thing happened to me. well, kind of. I dropped it in the sink. Mine was under water for about 2 seconds and I dried it completely. then i tried turning it on. like urs, it was reaaalllly dim and i could barely see anything. My ipod wasnt hot or the charging place wasnt red. Unfortunately, I kept on turning it on, until I heard that that messes it up BIG time. After I left it sit (shut down) for an hour, my bro turned it on and showed it to me. The screen was back to normal (not 4 long). it finally responded to my touch, but when i tried to press an app, the app just opened, then closed. I tried more apps and the same thing happened. I put it in a bag of rice overnite (about 8 hours) I switched it to a zip-lock bag. I havent turned it on since yesterday. I'm going to let it sit there for about a few days till i turn it on. hope mine works. good luck to urs! :eek:

22. Sophie1011 macrumors newbie

Ok so, I dropped my 8GB ipod touch in the tub (dont ask how). Unfortunately, I didnt know u couldnt turn it on, so after drying it, I turned it on. It did turn on, and i had all my apps, information and everything. Yet, the screen was really dark. So I was able to go to the brightness and I saw it was where I left it.i turned it off, and let it sit there. After an hour I looked at it again, and the screen was back to normal. I started to see if the apps worked. They didnt. The app turned on, and then turned back off. Then the screen went back dark. So then I looked online to see what I could do. I saw that the WORSE thing to do was turn it on.:( Now it is shutdown. It has been sitting in a bag of rice for...20 hours maybe. I still havent turned it on, and probably wont until at least 4 days from now. Do you think it's broken or do I still have a chance :confused:

23. alfmil macrumors regular

This is why Steve invented the iPad - so if you have the water level a bit low you can drop it in the toilet and still won't get wet. As for dropping it in the bath, there is only a rumor that Apple is working on an iPad that large.

24. Hmac macrumors 68020

I think it's done for.

25. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Yep, mine hit the toilet on Saturday and died on the spot. I left it alone for a few days but it still won't start. It was a 2gen, so a 3gen is in my future. Have to look at the bright side. :)