HELP eBay purchase nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Akanae, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Akanae macrumors newbie

My first listing on eBay is my iPhone 5s that went swimming. I listed it on eBay and included the water damage to the phone and that it will not turn on. Within 12 hours I had a buyer. He requested the IMEI number and I sent it to him. He quickly responded that the phone was locked in Icloud and that he doesn't buy stolen phones. (Jerk) I call my carrier to insure there was no link to me and the phone and then I contacted Apple and confirmed there was no link to me, the phone or my iCloud. This guy is insisting that the phone is locked and he refuses to pay. This has now gone on for almost a week. I have goggled all the different ways to check an IMEI and all of the websites I've found show my phone free and clear. Could there be something this guy is doing that I don't know about or has this guy realized that he doesn't have the money to buy the phone now that he clicked buy?
    Of course since the phone was unexpectedly damaged, I was not able to turn the Find My Phone feature off but it has been deleted from my Icloud account so should that matter?
    BTW, I think my last update was IOS 6.3
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you if anyone can help

2. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

I would just report him for non payment and include negative feedback. If he was so worried about the IMEI, he should have asked you before committing to buy.

3. Akanae thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I be missing something? Does someone on here have access to double check my checking? I'd be more than happy to share the IMEI

4. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

Goto IMEI.info should answer all your questions there once you enter your IMEI

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

File a non-paying buyer claim and move on. Relist it. You will get your fees back.

6. uncreativedan macrumors member

Odds are he didn't read the description very well and thought he was buying a working phone and is lying to get out of it. Happens alllll the time.... And I really don't think it's possible to check iCloud lock like that.

7. libu macrumors member

libu

It appears YOU are wrong here ... if you did not turn off the Find my iPhone, then its still on.

That means when someone trys to use another SIM in your phone, the phone will be iCloud-locked and ask for your details.

Basically, he bought a useless brick from you since he can't get past the Activation Screen.

Cost to remove iCloud from an iPhone ? Around $150 ... so obviously see his point.

https://iphoneunlockguys.com/mobile/detail/model/iCloud_Bypass_Unlock_Service_(BETA)

With the IMEI, you can use a Find my Iphone check service to see if it's on or off ... but taking you on your word you never turned it off before the damage, then it's definitely locked.

You should give it to him so he bypass that, then disable Find my iPhone.

8. gdec macrumors newbie

You can remove iCloud online also. See link below on how to remotely remove iCloud account from this iPhone. Then, contact the buyer and tell him to check again.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702

9. itjw macrumors 65816

Yet another reason not to use FeeBay.

Stupid ***** buyers.

Relist and move on. Even if he paid he'd just do a chargeback. No way I'd ship to that type of buyer.

And yes, there are ways to check iCloud status. It's seperate from sim lock status, and most unlocking sites charge for it, but can check.

Who cares though? You would lose no matter what selling to that guy...

Move on

10. libu macrumors member

libu

No, you can't remove iCloud lock online.

It has to be done physically with phone in hand, in the settings.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You do not sell to buyers like this.

I have over 700 positive feedbacks and never a negative and when some does something like this I make sure his user name is on my restricted list so he can not bid! It is not worth the trouble.

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You can do it without the device, I had to do it with an iPhone 5 I sold on eBay and had forgotten to do it before I sent it.
    I followed the instructions at the link provided http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702

And straight away the buyer was then able to register and set up in his name.

13. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I never use ebay after being scammed for my iphone 5s, buyer did chargeback 30 days after i sold it, i obviously lost the case and phone so I just rang up and blocked the phone.

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

They do have some bloody annoying/stupid policies. I avoid it when I can but sometimes there just isn't a better option. Wish there was.

15. BrettDS macrumors 65816

If you were definitely on iOS 6.anything then this is a non issue. Activation lock was introduced with iOS 7. Devices on iOS 6 can't be locked through activation lock whether find my iPhone is turned on or not.

16. Akanae thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!

Wow, lots of good information. I think I will take the advice of sending eBay a non pay and just move on. I wanted to push the issue with this guy because I thought he was obviously trying to scam me in some way. I hadn't thought of the pay back or the repercussions that a buyer has.
    At least I know that I have done everything I can to clean the phone from my PC.
    Thanks again for all of your help. Love the Forum and I will be watching for good threads to learn more stuff from you professionals. ;)

17. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Did you log onto Find My iPhone (www.icloud.com) and make sure the phone is no longer listed? I've turned off Find My iPhone via the phone, factory reset it, then traded it into GameStop only to have them call about it being locked still. Low and behold, I log into www.icloud.com and found it in my device list still. I removed it and they were good to go.

18. benfica88 macrumors regular

Since he was asking about the IMEI maybe he was thinking it was carrier unlocked? Not sure how you can link IMEI to iCloud.

19. 617aircav Suspended

OP report and move on. I would not deal with such a person.

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You don't know what you're talking about. It can be removed in iCloud.com

21. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I hate to admit it, but Brian's right. It can be done in the web. The instructions are here...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4515

22. erzhik macrumors 6502

Why would you give out your IMEI? Stop doing it people.

23. Akanae thread starter macrumors newbie

I have gone to Icloud.com and I even did it with Apple on the phone with me to insure I did everything correct. I then closed Icloud and went back....Walah, no old Iphone listed. As far as I can tell on all of my research, the phone is no longer linked to any of my apple accounts and no longer linked to and provider account.

----------

Since I'm the dummy here, tell me why it's a bad idea to give out an IMEI on a phone that doesn't work and I am selling? Is this something I should be cautious of when relisting the phone?

24. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Like someone has already mentioned you have to remove it from your list of devices via icloud.com. I went through the same issues before and wanted the buyer to stop bothering me. But once I removed it (I removed all my devices just in case), after a while he could continue setting up the iPhone.

25. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

In the future, dont use ebay to sell electronics. especially iPhones. They are some of the most scammed devices ever. Example, a guy buys your phone which is in perfect condition and you send it to him. he then files a claim with ebay about it not being as described. He says it is not the item in the ad that it is damaged. Ebay has changed over the years to be more buyer friendly than seller. Meaning they almost always side with the buyer if they claim an issue. ebay will issue a charge back and instruct the buyer to return it. They do but when you get the return box it is NOT the phone you sent. it is a beatup crappy phone worth way less than what you sent him. He still has your better phone, & he has your money. you can try to explain to ebay what happened, but how do you prove what you shipped. even if you have pics of you shipping it they say you could have staged them. You are out of luck.

this story is from experience and is why I have not sold an item on ebay in 3 years.